PDA

View Full Version : General Squeaking lambda counter or speedo cable under driver's footwell?!

Jonathan
06-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I've been hearing some squeaking during the last few drives out in the D. It seems to be coming from up under the driver's footwell and in behind the steering wheel/column area. It changes pitch when you change speeds, so I'm thinking it's related to the speedo cable or lambda counter.

Any ideas what to check? Does the lambda counter need to be lubricated in some way? That's about what it sounds like... something that is turning, but not doing it smoothly. The upper and lower speedo cables seem to be tight at their connections to the lambda counter.

I did my wiper/turn signal stalk assembly replacement at the start of the season, so it's possible I bumped something up in there. I have not to date fiddled around at all with the instrument cluster or any of those connections.

I most notice it once you get to about 50 mph, but not really at all around 20 mph or so when you're just in town. Not sure if that helps clarify anything.

Thanks for your help.

dmc6960
06-18-2011, 11:23 PM
I currently have this EXACT same problem EXACTLY as you describe. I verified it to be the lambda counter. I ordered a one piece speedo cable from PJ Grady. Should be here next week. In the meantime I disconnected the lower cable from the counter because the speedo was also starting to fluxuate at high speed. Didn't want the added resistance to damage the angle drive.