PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem with directional signals when air conditioner and headlights are on...

kajcienski
06-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Hello! Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue... I am a fairly new owner so this might be obvious to some - bear with me ;) I had my car parked for about 10 minutes with the hazard lights and headlight switch in the "parking lights" position (engine was off). I then started her right up - all seemed to be just peachy - and when I drove down the block and proceeded to turn my directional on, nothing happened. This was a bit dangerous as I was driving in New York City... This went on for about 10 minutes of driving, but was then getting it to "click" once before it went dead again. It quickly dawned on me (after seeing that my battery charge was hovering between the 13v line and the line below) that it might be a power issue so I turned the AC/blower off. Signals then worked fine. Is this a known issue of too much power being drawn in combination of a slight drain on the battery from leaving the hazard/parking lights on for 10 minutes? (The battery is only 2 months old) Or does this sound like an alternator issue? It seems to me that it should have been able to handle the load and once the car started, could put out the power needed... After a half hour, things seemed to all work again in combination. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michael
06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
I think your problem is probably in the relay compartment, or a wiring or bad ground issue.

I would not consider a bad battery or alternator with those symptoms. If a battery were that low to not even be able to trip the turn signal relay, it would'nt have even started the car.

kajcienski
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I think your problem is probably in the relay compartment, or a wiring or bad ground issue.

I would not consider a bad battery or alternator with those symptoms. If a battery were that low to not even be able to trip the turn signal relay, it would'nt have even started the car.

Thanks! I guess my question would then be, why did they then work with the air off (when turned back on, they quite again) and then after the car had been driving for a while and my battery meter was back near 13v it was not an issue? Where should the volt meter be when lights and air/blower are on? I appreciate your input! :) Oh, If in relay compartment, what should I check?

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
You just may have a bad flasher. Not a common problem but the flasher is cheap at any auto parts stores. Just take the old one in and they can find you the replacement.

With the AC running with an original alternator it's common to see the low voltage at idle speed.

DMC3165
06-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Hey Matt,
Generally when idling the volt meter will drop way down with a stock alternator all the accessories on lights, A/C, blinkers. shouldn't go into the red but about 1/3 off the bottom. But I agree with the previous comments that it may be a ground or a relay. I would try the simple stuff first. I think the voltage drop and the signal not working are a coincidence. Odds are the signal relay is probably just going bad. You mentioned you had the 4 ways on for a little bit before the trouble started. The relay may be old and starting to go bad. The more its used the hotter it gets and if its starting to go it will act up like that. Try changing that first. It is located inside the car on the drivers side just next to your legs below the dash. It's a small black rectangular shaped plug about 2 inches long. It's available in any auto parts store. The Volvo part # is 1259615-2, I think. Someone else might be help with that or you can order it from Grady or DMCH. I have an old Lucas one that came out of my car but it may not be any better then what you have. I will send it to you if you want it just so you have an idea what your looking for.

kajcienski
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey Matt,
Generally when idling the volt meter will drop way down with a stock alternator all the accessories on lights, A/C, blinkers. shouldn't go into the red but about 1/3 off the bottom. But I agree with the previous comments that it may be a ground or a relay. I would try the simple stuff first. I think the voltage drop and the signal not working are a coincidence. Odds are the signal relay is probably just going bad. You mentioned you had the 4 ways on for a little bit before the trouble started. The relay may be old and starting to go bad. The more its used the hotter it gets and if its starting to go it will act up like that. Try changing that first. It is located inside the car on the drivers side just next to your legs below the dash. It's a small black rectangular shaped plug about 2 inches long. It's available in any auto parts store. The Volvo part # is 1259615-2, I think. Someone else might be help with that or you can order it from Grady or DMCH. I have an old Lucas one that came out of my car but it may not be any better then what you have. I will send it to you if you want it just so you have an idea what your looking for.

Thanks for the info! I will try switching the relay out and see what happens - it definitely acts funky after the hazards have been on. I will also check the ground.