PDA

View Full Version : General Has anyone ever painted their headlight trim rings black? Photos?

DeloreanJoshQ
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Has anyone ever painted their headlight trim rings black?

If so do you have any photos?

The trim rings are the only chrome pieces on the car I believe....

I saw pics of the gold Delorean and the trim rings on it were gold plated...

Just curious what it would look like...

Josh Q

Mark D
07-18-2012, 01:33 AM
I've never seen any photos of the trim rings painted black... I imagine it would look kinda strange. Maybe someone here would photoshop a pic for you if you don't have the capability to.

The stock trim pieces are stainless so they match the rest of the car well in my opinion.

Michael
07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
I saw one that had them painted and it really looked good. If you ask me, the "old school" bare look doesn't look right on the Delorean and it really ties the front end together with all the black that's already there.

You would think it would not be that noticeable since they are so small. When I first saw a pic with them, I noticed something looked different about it, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The headlights for some reason looked better, and the front end just looked sleek. Remember the mid 90's Pontiac Grand Prix? Those small sealed beam lights look pretty good and its kind of the same effect. The only thing about it is it would be very vulnerable to rock chips unless you properly prepped them with the right primer.

Rich W
07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Hmmm ... powder-coating might be a good option to try on these parts.

However, a flat black may be difficult to keep clean (remove bugs, etc.)

Gloss Black would be, well, too glossy. Maybe a Satin Black finish?

johan900
08-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I have painted my headlight trim rings. I think it looks really great and i would not go back to have them in bare stainless again. Just use a primer so the paint will attach to the stainless steel8)

Domi
08-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Just curious, what is the device in front of the headlight?
A system to wash the headlight?

Morpheus
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Could you maybe post a close-up picture of them?

Nicholas R
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure... I kind of feel the same way about this as I do the dark grey rims. It may sound good but in the end it just looks like they're dirty and need washed.

john 05141
08-03-2012, 03:31 AM
My first tought was original in SS is much nicer, but I have to admit it does look darn good. The picture is taken in poor evening light, I'd like to see some better pictures because I might do that too (next winter)
the "device" in from of the lights are probably headlight cleaners.

Another question; the antenna, is that a fixed mast?

John

Victor
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
The lenses look more recessed that way _ somewhat like the prototype D.

Cory W
08-03-2012, 06:31 PM
The pretty girl is wearing too much mascara :dunno:

johan900
08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Here is a more close up picture of the headlights. The antenna is a original electric one.

Tillsy
08-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Here is a more close up picture of the headlights. The antenna is a original electric one.

I'm in two minds on that first picture.

On one hand the black surround makes that entire light/grille strip black, which looks consistent given the gap finishers and grille are black.

On the other hand it darkens the entire front end as there is no longer any bare metal - but then in a way the surrounds were out of place because of that and we are just used to it looking that way?

I think I am leaning toward liking it... will certainly be marking that for future consideration, thanks for the picky :)

dmc6960
08-05-2012, 12:02 AM
This is definatly going on the to-do list when I freshen up the front end in the next year or so. Looks great.

pezzonovante88
08-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Very interesting. I never considered it. After seeing those pictures, I'm putting it in the 'maybe pile'. I think it looks good.

john 05141
08-06-2012, 04:12 AM
I'll be putting some black tape over it and see it for real, I can still decide then what to do. Will be looking at it this winter. Pitty those thngs are not so easy to re-install, the damn screws are hard to get in there.

John

Mark D
08-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Reminds me of how the Sunstar 1/18 scale models look... the headlight surrounds are black.

It definitely looks different... not sure if I'd ever do it to my car... Nice to see a little bit of customizing going on. :smile:

nkemp
08-31-2012, 07:18 PM
I was thinking that all silver/SS around the lights would be a good look. It would result in less clutter. More like a unit than multiple lights. Maybe even a custom cut bezel. And as I think about it, maybe something in acrylic to match the glass. For those who remember, 1985/6 Nissan Maxima headlights were used in the DW picture.

Nick

dmcpom
09-04-2012, 08:11 AM
I think the black looks really good , knowing how these cars were put together I'd say if they had time or the money for them to be black they poss could have been .