PDA

View Full Version : Model T Ford

dvonk
06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
we had a car show at work today, and my boss brought in his 1927 Model T 2-door coupe. he inherited it from his late father, who purchased it from a used car dealer in 1956 for $150. it has been well maintained since then, and still runs and drives well. it even still has the original interior.

so many old cars have been chopped up to make hot rods, it was nice to actually see an original example of a Model T survivor in person. it was interesting to see how the controls differ from modern-day cars... the dash has only one gauge: an ammeter. there is no gas pedal; rather, a lever on the steering column controls the throttle. it also has a lever to manually adjust retard or advance the timing, since the quality/octane of gas varied so greatly back then. there is even an in-cab knob to back off the carburetor needle, in case some chunks from crappy gasoline got stuck in it. :lol:

it made my day when he gave me a ride. :biggrin: :biggrin:
(sorry about the low-quality photos, was a crappy cell phone camera)

opethmike
06-19-2011, 10:51 PM
That is too awesome!

Roman Legion
06-19-2011, 11:10 PM
I passed one on the interstate in my Mustang a few months back.. Felt odd to pass it..lol I would kill for a ride in one.. Hope you had fun!

dvonk
06-19-2011, 11:37 PM
totally, it was awesome! everyone smiled as we drove by, and he even honked the horn a couple times; it has a klaxon "ahoogah"-type horn. :)

Roman Legion
06-20-2011, 01:02 AM
totally, it was awesome! everyone smiled as we drove by, and he even honked the horn a couple times; it has a klaxon "ahoogah"-type horn. :)

When I lived in Lincoln in the mid 90's, my Father took me out to the parade and that horn is a distincitve memory marker, I love those horns!

Renee_1632
06-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Did he say how many unmodified ones are left?

Dracula
06-20-2011, 07:06 AM
There are still a fair number of them left in an original configuration. They're a blast to ride in and one of the simplest restoration projects out there; every tolerance on the car you can pretty much eyeball and they'll still run.

dvonk
06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
yes, they are incredibly simple, and they have catalogs of pretty much every part available for purchase... if i ever saw one in need of rescuing, id be tempted to buy it--for the right price, that is. :biggrin:

my boss has a pile of NOS and NORS parts his dad collected over the years as well.

jmrydholm
06-23-2011, 10:27 AM
The guy that used to work on my DeLorean up in Warren, MI had a classic auto shop. He had a specific area called "Model-T alley" where he worked on the pre-WWII era cars. Last time I was in there, he had some old 1920's Buick looking pretty beautiful. He also had a V-12 Jag that was a light blue-green color and a tommy gun hanging in his office. Pretty cool guy. Took me to work a few times and got me lunch since I was giving him so much for the D's work.