PDA

View Full Version : General Deleting cat cause issues?

MRDMC
07-19-2012, 04:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of deleting my CAT out with a custom made pipe and was just wondering if anyone has done this and found their Delorean doesn't run as well. I know the euro-spec essentially had that set-up, but I'm not sure if they had it factory tuned to allow for that alteration.

Cheers,
James.

thirdmanj
07-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of deleting my CAT out with a custom made pipe and was just wondering if anyone has done this and found their Delorean doesn't run as well. I know the euro-spec essentially had that set-up, but I'm not sure if they had it factory tuned to allow for that alteration.

Cheers,
James.

I don't think there really ever was a "euro-spec" per se. But either way I don't think it will cause a issue aside from the legality aspect of tampering with the vehicle's emission controls. But who's ever gonna know right?

Grover
07-19-2012, 01:25 PM
There are many people who have run the cars with a hollowed out CAT with no issues. I do not see why there would be any problems with a delete pipe, unless you call increased performance a problem. =)

DMCMW Dave
07-19-2012, 04:17 PM
But who's ever gonna know right?

If you live in a state/area with emission testing, YOU will.

Delorean Industries
07-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I really do not feel think this is a great modification. A good number of owners choose off road style leads though. Personally K jet smells without cats at idle. I'm not a fan of smelling like fuel.

thirdmanj
07-19-2012, 05:25 PM

Well, duh. That goes without saying... At least it should. ;)

Dangermouse
07-19-2012, 05:33 PM

iirc, the OP is in Australia. No idea what the emissions laws are like there. James?

Lukas
07-19-2012, 09:02 PM
There is no annual inspection or emissions test in anywhere in Australia. Apparently there are some spot checks but chances are pretty low.

There's a one-off mechanical inspection (but no emissions test), mainly used when buying/selling used cars and transferring state registration.

A catalytic converter is only required on vehicles built after Jan 1986. However, if the cat came as original equipment on a pre-1986 car, then technically it's a problem if you modify it.

SIMid
07-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't running unleaded fuel without a CAT will have that rotten egg smell?

ramblinmike
07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Wouldn't running unleaded fuel without a CAT will have that rotten egg smell?

Don't think so. I thought that smell was a symptom of a bad CAT. You might notice an increased fuel smell without running a CAT.

Lukas
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Don't think so. I thought that smell was a symptom of a bad CAT. You might notice an increased fuel smell without running a CAT.

Other benefits are less heat, less weight. You definitely get a fuel smell without a cat, but it's no worse than a 60's classic.

nofear365
07-24-2012, 03:00 PM
If I remember right, the added benefit was something like 3 HP and 7 lbs torque. I'm told the cat isn't THAT much of a power killer...