PDA

View Full Version : General Air intake mesh modification

Chris_Von_Bron
07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
If you’ve ever rebuilt your aircon you would have found quite a bit of debris (mainly leaves) that slowly build up in the airbox as the intake has no mesh to stop this.

Air Intake improvement involves covering the hole below:-

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/20120708_181341.jpg

I’ve sourced mesh and made the following subtle improvement.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/DSC_0033.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/DSC_0032.jpg

EdR5150
07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Yes, did mine earlier this year. I had lots of fiberglass screen leftover from re-screening a patio door. Now I will never have to worry about leaves, seeds, and other debrisin the airbox.

So if you, or someone you know ever re-screens a window or door, save the scrap!

jawn101
07-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Is it possible to clear the debris out without removing/splitting the airbox? For example, by removing the blower motor?

dmc6960
07-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to clear the debris out without removing/splitting the airbox? For example, by removing the blower motor?

Yes. Remove blower motor and resistors. Reach a skinny hand in there and gently pull out excess crud. Be mindful not to bend the fins on the evaporator. Then build a narrow flexible extension for your shop vac and do the same. Again be extremely careful not to bump the evaporator.

jawn101
07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes. Remove blower motor and resistors. Reach a skinny hand in there and gently pull out excess crud. Be mindful not to bend the fins on the evaporator. Then build a narrow flexible extension for your shop vac and do the same. Again be extremely careful not to bump the evaporator.

Right you are, this only took 15 minutes to do. I don't know how my car managed to accrue over 50,000 miles without ever seeming to go outside, but there was not a single speck of dust in that box. Even the fan motor looked brand new. Kudos to the PO I guess.

Question though, if that's the fresh air intake and all this crud manages to get inside, what happens in the rain? Wouldn't the airbox fill up with water?

dmc6960
07-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Question though, if that's the fresh air intake and all this crud manages to get inside, what happens in the rain? Wouldn't the airbox fill up with water?

There is a water drain (drains directly onto the fuel pump boot), but that can sometimes get clogged with the same crud. In that situation then yes, the airbox will fill up with water, and ruin your motor/resistors.

jawn101
07-26-2012, 11:00 AM
There is a water drain (drains directly onto the fuel pump boot), but that can sometimes get clogged with the same crud. In that situation then yes, the airbox will fill up with water, and ruin your motor/resistors.

Got it, cool! Fortunately it doesn't look like that's happened yet, so a bit of screen is probably in order to keep it that way. Someone a few posts back mentioned screen like from a screen door - would that allow enough airflow? That has probably the finest mesh of any material available.

Morpheus
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Very nice job! I like the larger mesh vs. the screen material. You could use self tapping screws to secure it down without resorting to glue.

Chris_Von_Bron
08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
A few dabs of adhesive is far less intrusive (and keeps the purists happy), works just as well and makes it a quicker install. It really only needs a couple of dabs across the top edge to ensure it doesn't move whilst the main grill is placed back over it.