PDA

View Full Version : General Ebay NOS Parts Lot - Anyone think this is a scam?

Blackie
06-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Howdy,

I tripped over the following on Ebay last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=320714260767&viewitem=&category=42606

I am interested in the car / parts package, but there is no way to contact the seller.

What does everyone think? Has anyone seen this posted for sale elsewhere? Does smell like a scam, however it is a very detailed way of going about
Cheers

P.S Apologies if the link does not work properly, not quite sure how to do it, first time :headscratch:

Mike C.
06-20-2011, 06:41 AM
In the Seller Info section, the seller is listed as "Baker86".

Right below his name, there is a link to "Ask a Question".

I clicked on it and it worked. :dunno: You should be able to ask them whatever you want there.

I remember a big parts lot coming up last year, but I don't believe this was it.

Blackie
06-20-2011, 07:31 AM
In the Seller Info section, the seller is listed as "Baker86".

Right below his name, there is a link to "Ask a Question".

I clicked on it and it worked. :dunno: You should be able to ask them whatever you want there.

I remember a big parts lot coming up last year, but I don't believe this was it.

Hi Mike,

You can go into that section, but only the 'pre answered' questions are there to select. If you click on send message, it says that the seller is not able to answer the question. Maybe a glitch?

Mike C.
06-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Hi Paul,

I think I figured out a way to contact the seller. I saw what you were talking about, with the form not allowing any questions.

I clicked on his user name, went to his user feedback, clicked to view all, and then clicked "Contact Member".

This opened up a new box to "Find Answers from Baker86". I checked "This is Not About an Item", and this opened up a text box that looks like it will allow you to email him.

Here's the link:

http://contact.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&frm=284&requested=baker86&iid=-1

Give that a shot! :biggrin:

Blackie
06-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks Mike!

content22207
06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Pretty much a standard eBay auction. To contact the seller:
- Click "Ask a question" (upper right hand corner)
- Check "Other" under "Select a topic"
- Click "Continue"

Opens the subject and text boxes. Don't forget the security code at the bottom. I just sent him a test message OK (cc'd to my eMail).

Bill Robertson

Mike C.
06-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Pretty much a standard eBay auction. To contact the seller:
- Click "Ask a question" (upper right hand corner)
- Check "Other" under "Select a topic"
- Click "Continue"

Opens the subject and text boxes. Don't forget the security code at the bottom. I just sent him a test message OK (cc'd to my eMail).

Bill Robertson

They may have been having an issue earlier today. When I clicked on a category, it gave you no further options.

David T
06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
This auction does NOT include the car. Read all the way at the bottom of the listing. A LOT of parts, many of which you will never sell. Some of it may not be in great shape if they are over 30 years old. Some parts age even sitting in a box. Not for the casual Delorean owner. If you are restoring a car and can use a majority of the parts it might make sense. It does appear to be a legitimate auction. Remember, if you are not local, to figure shipping. Shipping will be significant, that and probably insurance. I did not see any parts in that pile that you cannot order individually from the Delorean venders.
David Teitelbaum

stevedmc
06-20-2011, 11:53 AM
This is what it says at the bottom of the listing:

"She is in like new condition, Every thing works. There are no dings, dents or scratches, inside or out-side. She looks and runs/drives like she just rolled out of the show-room. Parts and Car can be purchased for $ 42,000.00.

If you would like to look-over the parts and or the Delorean? it's by appointment only. "

$42k is a little steep for a car with parts.

nullset
06-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I strongly doubt anyone will bid on this at $18k… you can buy a nice car for that!

--buddy

content22207
06-20-2011, 03:17 PM
You can't fault the seller for asking as much as he can as a Buy It Now. If he doesn't ask, he's guaranteed not to get it....

Bill Robertson

nullset
06-20-2011, 03:25 PM
You can't fault the seller for asking as much as he can as a Buy It Now. If he doesn't ask, he's guaranteed not to get it....

Bill Robertson

The car isn't included in the $18k buy it now. He wants 42k buy it now for the car and the parts.

Blackie
06-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Correct.

I was thinking about making an offer (after inspection of course) for the car and parts lot together. I have now contacted him via Ebay and await a response.

Cheers

timothymoore
06-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Howdy,

I tripped over the following on Ebay last night
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&item=320714260767&viewitem=&category=42606

I am interested in the car / parts package, but there is no way to contact the seller.

What does everyone think? Has anyone seen this posted for sale elsewhere? Does smell like a scam, however it is a very detailed way of going about
Cheers

P.S Apologies if the link does not work properly, not quite sure how to do it, first time :headscratch: looks like in one of the pics they have a set of 8 cylinder exhaust manifold gaskets.

DMC3165
06-23-2011, 08:54 PM
looks like in one of the pics they have a set of 8 cylinder exhaust manifold gaskets.

Nice catch! :thumbup2:

I've emailed a few times. He's still hoping to sell the lot and i made it known i'm interested in several things but based on that pic I think I'll hold off on doing anything. Plus the fact i'm here in NY and he's in CA for all I know he'll send me a DMC box full of crushed soda cans.