PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Rules Questions

Ron
07-29-2012, 10:13 AM
We now have our Stainless Auto Shift Plates back in stock.

DMOCO.com (http://www.dmoco.com/products.html)

If you are missing a post-

Please review For-sale-section-rules-please-read-before-posting

(http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2858-For-sale-section-rules-please-read-before-posting!!)"8. Members: STOP posting remarks like "free bump,good guy or good item”. If you are NOT going to purchase the items listed. Remarks like "you can get it cheaper at so and so place" are NOT allowed.
Again, do not post a question or remark if you do not intend to buy the item."

This is a company though. Not a private seller.
Point being...?

thirdmanj
07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Just sayin I guess. I get the rules for private sellers items, but for a company that may not be as quick to respond, the discourse on the thread about the product (or others) from the company in question could be helpfull. You haven't deleated all the post on the DMCH luggage announcement thread have you? Same idea.

Ron
07-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Just sayin I guess. I get the rules for private sellers items,...
Members are members, private or vendor.

But for a company that may not be as quick to respond, the discourse on the thread about the product (or others) from the company in question could be helpfull.
An interested party can post in the General section, use the PM button, or other contact information (extra large link, in this case) contained in the ads for unrelated discussion/information. (The latter being the obvious solution to quick answers...)

You haven't deleated all the post on the DMCH luggage announcement thread have you? Same idea.
There are no DMCH luggage announcement posts in the For Sale section. (Vendor News and Notes)
Different rules.

=====================

FYI/FWIW- Again, one does not know what has been posted and deleted while they were offline, nor who deletes what, including the OP.... In this case, there were several posts concerning a purchaser's dissatisfaction with a different product suiting their needs. I would consider deleting that even if it was not a violation of the rules...
And once the hatchet is out, petty, insignificant, or blatant, I simply clean house.
Like you said, rules are rules....

Maybe give the Admins a bit more credit -- The forum has been around for a long time and has bounced back after catastrophic events more than once...they must be doing things right!

Shep
07-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Since this thread is up, I suppose I can add a question of my own. It is on-topic, so hopefully I'm not interjecting here.

The bolded part of the rule you posted above says that if you have no interest in the item, don't post. Clear and concise, but there's one scenario I'm unsure about. Let's say someone posts a bare-bones thread saying they have something for sale. Not much detail is given, and there's more questions than answers. If I had no interest in that item, would asking questions about it so more is known go against the rules, even if the only difference between me and someone who wants to buy it is that I have no interest in it? For example, if I ask what VIN it came from, what price they're looking for, location, pictures, etc., would this go against the rules because I have no interest in the item? I ask because I remain unclear on that one; on the one hand, it seems like that would help sell an item, and perhaps they're referring to a part by the wrong name (thus addressing the wrong demographic), but on the other hand, I have no interest in purchasing the item.

Or is this the same question that you're addressing? Hard to tell from here. :hmm:

thirdmanj
07-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Members are members, private or vendor.

An interested party can post in the General section, use the PM button, or other contact information (extra large link, in this case) contained in the ads for unrelated discussion/information. (The latter being the obvious solution to quick answers...)

There are no DMCH luggage announcement posts in the For Sale section. (Vendor News and Notes)
Different rules.

=====================

FYI/FWIW- Again, one does not know what has been posted and deleted while they were offline, nor who deletes what, including the OP.... In this case, there were several posts concerning a purchaser's dissatisfaction with a different product suiting their needs. I would consider deleting that even if it was not a violation of the rules...
And once the hatchet is out, petty, insignificant, or blatant, I simply clean house.
Like you said, rules are rules....

Maybe give the Admins a bit more credit -- The forum has been around for a long time and has bounced back after catastrophic events more than once...they must be doing things right!

so WHY CAN'T THERE BE QUSTIONS?! Again please? What's the issue? All it can do increase the overall knowledge of the item in question and make it easier for the owner to get the information out, as opposed to answering multiple PMs possibly with repeats of the same question! Why make the QA private? It's a public forum after all, and it's main objective is to get DeLorean owners and vendors together and pool information yes?

Ron
07-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Since this thread is up, I suppose I can add a question of my own. It is on-topic, so hopefully I'm not interjecting here. The bolded part of the rule you posted above says that if you have no interest in the item, don't post. Clear and concise, but there's one scenario I'm unsure about. Let's say someone posts a bare-bones thread saying they have something for sale. Not much detail is given, and there's more questions than answers. If I had no interest in that item, would asking questions about it so more is known go against the rules, even if the only difference between me and someone who wants to buy it is that I have no interest in it? For example, if I ask what VIN it came from, what price they're looking for, location, pictures, etc., would this go against the rules because I have no interest in the item. I ask because I remain unclear on that one; on the one hand, it seems like that would help sell an item, and perhaps they're referring to a part by the wrong name (thus addressing the wrong demographic), but on the other hand, I have no interest in purchasing the item.

Or is this the same question that you're addressing? Hard to tell from here. :hmm:
First, feel free to ask any related questions here, that's what this thread is for.

Good question. Sorry for the confusion (It would be a lot cleared if you had seen the deleted posts in question.)

Short answer, yes...
Note that there is no way to know if questions about the VIN, pictures, etc are from an interested party, so unless it is obvious that someone is trolling etc, it would probably be ignored. As for price and location, these are required by the rules. If a seller does not include them or other requirements, they would be notified to correct their post when a Mod/Admin spots it or a member clicks the report post button. Now, if someone posted something like, "How much do you want for it?", it would be left and the seller would take care of it, or, depending on the circumstances, the thread would be deleted (after an un-addressed warning). Or say, someone posts a ton of engine parts and someone posts something like, "Do you have the pistons to go with the rods?", personally, I would leave it.
(Hope this helps -- More below)

so WHY CAN'T THERE BE QUSTIONS?! Again please? What's the issue? All it can do increase the overall knowledge of the item in question and make it easier for the owner to get the information out, as opposed to answering multiple PMs possibly with repeats of the same question! Why make the QA private? It's a public forum after all, and it's main objective is to get DeLorean owners and vendors together and pool information yes?
Posts like, "I have used them all and this it the best one out there!", could be helpful or part of a scam, and, "I like ACME's better" could be helpful or a grudge post, helping the "wrong" seller, etc, etc. So there is A LOT more it can do than "increase the overall knowledge...get information out".
I plugged things under the old rules on .com and think I know where you are coming from...But allowing "good" and "bad" posts yields complaints from both ends and makes the section impossible to maintain -- As above, there is no way to know intent. You can't please everyone even if you could tell...and, last but definitely not least, the past has shown things spill over into other threads...Not good! The new rules simply work better for everyone.

I don't understand the part about repeats of the same question...seems the seller would realize they didn't present their product very well after the first PM and fix it...if they are too lazy, what can I say?

No, the forum is privately owned, open to the public, subject to the owner's rules...we've been there. :devil:
Yes, those are main objectives and why the rules, for the one section, are the what they are.

=============

RE: PM

1. Items posted for sale in any section must be for items you personally own. Do not post ads for parts or cars you saw for sale online somewhere, including ebay ads that are not yours. These threads will be deleted.
5. If you are posting parts for someone else, you are responsible for the transaction. Make sure you really want to be the middle-man in the transaction.

I understood why this may read as contradictory, so I asked...#5 was added to allow helping someone who doesn't have internet service, is clueless and trying to sell a deceased love one's D, or truly needs help for some other reason.

=============

So yeah, there are exceptions to the rules that help us make things work best for the community as a whole. Others will have to be handled as they come...

Shep
07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the response! That clears things up. :thumbup: