PDA

View Full Version : my 3.0 with stock eagle ecm project

DeLorean6934
07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
My stock motor blew on me (r.I.p 6934) so now I dug out the eagle motor I have saved to install. Now I went through some issues but managed to over come them. Such as I modified the Dmc flywheel to have the crank positioning sensor ring and mounted the sensor to the bell housing....ok was going to upload pictures......need to know how to do that now.

DeLorean6934
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM

DeLorean6934
07-30-2012, 12:23 PM

DeLorean
07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Looks good, what Chrysler ECU are you using? I believe that the pre 1989 uses the renix EFI system, and the 90-91's used the chrysler EFI which used low impedance injectors and (unofficially) picked up a few HP from more aggressive timing control. The cherokee also made the same change with very little changes to the engine, and increased from 177HP to 190 HP, which is nothing to sneeze at. Likely the PRV picked up about 8 HP from the change, though the HP rating (as far as I am aware) never changed like the cherokees did.

DeLorean6934
07-30-2012, 02:20 PM
The motor is a 88 so I'm stuck....and broke so I'm using what I have. I had a ecm with the car I got it from but someone at my work place threw it away on me so I had no ecm until buddy helped me out with one he got off ebay. But now I have to find female connector ends or the 16 pin end for it.

DeLorean6934
07-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Looks good, what Chrysler ECU are you using? I believe that the pre 1989 uses the renix EFI system, and the 90-91's used the chrysler EFI which used low impedance injectors and (unofficially) picked up a few HP from more aggressive timing control. The cherokee also made the same change with very little changes to the engine, and increased from 177HP to 190 HP, which is nothing to sneeze at. Likely the PRV picked up about 8 HP from the change, though the HP rating (as far as I am aware) never changed like the cherokees did.

Will those Injectors work on the 88?

DeLorean
07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
I doubt it, you would want to check the part number and the ohm rating of the injectors and use what ever is correct or original for your ECU. If the injectors are low impedance and the ECU is not designed for those, it will cook the in just a few moments or cranking. If you go the other way around, the car simply won't run.

http://www.hondata.com/techlowohminjectors.html

Basic explanation there.

Personally I'd say if you are going through the trouble of adding "real" fuel injection to your DeLorean, you should add the best system you can. You are not talking big $$ here. $50 at a u pull it junk yard will get you the chrysler ECU and all the wiring too.

Alternatively there is also Megasquirt.

dmc6960
07-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Steve Stankiewicz (protodelorean) tried doing this as well. He couldn't get it working right so he had to go with an aftermarket ECU.

A bit disappointed, I decided to go ahead and test the one remaining system that hadn't been tested yet; the engine control system. Even without fuel, I should still get spark. So I pulled a sparkplug, grounded the electrode, and cranked the engine...nothing. I checked my connections and tried again. Still nothing. It seemed as if the computer just wasn't receiving the signal that the engine was turning. (That was supposed to be coming from that trigger wheel I'd bolted to the flywheel. Just to be sure, I closed up the gap a bit between the sensor and the trigger wheel. Still no spark. It just wasn't working. This is about the point where a whole bunch of explicatives got thrown about. I'd worked for months on that trigger wheel and wiring harness just so I could reuse the original Eagle engine computer and now it just wasn't working. I'd love to trouble shoot it, but I'm afraid any money I spend on parts could be a waste if the problem is something in the wiring harness (that I'd thought I'd hacked CAREFULLY). It's March 2003 and Pigeon Forge is just 15 months away so I decided to bite the bullet and go with an aftermarket Engine Control Module (ECM).

Best of luck, and test for spark as soon as you can in the assembly!

DeLorean6934
08-04-2012, 01:06 PM
About to reinstall the motor just painted the frame and engine bay:-) now my next hurdle is going to find the 16 pin female end for the ecm......and one out there have this end they don't need anymore?:-)

DCUK Martin
08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
That flex plate trigger pattern is also available in flywheel form for a 5-speed, and there's a subtly different bellhusing to take the sensor. All interchangeable with stock DeLorean. Renault 25, 25 turbo, Espace and Alpine GTA Turbo.

DeLorean6934
08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
That flex plate trigger pattern is also available in flywheel form for a 5-speed, and there's a subtly different bellhusing to take the sensor. All interchangeable with stock DeLorean. Renault 25, 25 turbo, Espace and Alpine GTA Turbo.

Well that all sounds great:-) but I'm in America, we don't have cool parts like that here:-)

DCUK Martin
08-06-2012, 08:30 AM
...But others reading this can take it for future reference ;) I have several bellhousings and flywheels, collected for my turbo conversions but which are exactly what're needed for a plug-and-play Eagle swap. The Eagle was a Renault 25 apparently.

nullset
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't wait to see it run. One of these days I'll start my 3.0 project.....

DeLorean6934
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
...But others reading this can take it for future reference ;) I have several bellhousings and flywheels, collected for my turbo conversions but which are exactly what're needed for a plug-and-play Eagle swap. The Eagle was a Renault 25 apparently.

Would you be able to post some pictures of them?

gasflaphoodfan95
08-10-2012, 11:01 PM
My stock motor blew on me (r.I.p 6934) so now I dug out the eagle motor I have saved to install. Now I went through some issues but managed to over come them. Such as I modified the Dmc flywheel to have the crank positioning sensor ring and mounted the sensor to the bell housing....ok was going to upload pictures......need to know how to do that now.

Do you still have the original motor????

DeLorean6934
08-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Do you still have the original motor????

Why yes I do, 2 of them.

DeLorean6934
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM

protodelorean
09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
as noted above, I was not successful getting the Renix system to work in the Delorean. Can I ask how you indexed the sensor ring? (The relationship between the crank position, the sensor ring and the sensor pickup must be exact.)

Since I had the entire Eagle Premier car, I set the number one cylinder to Top Dead Center, then marked the exact relationship between the pickup ring and the sensor. When I got to the Delorean, I too picked a position on the Delorean bell housing for the pickup, cut the hole and fabricated the mount. Then I set the number one cylinder to TDC and aligned my marks between the ring and the sensor before welding the mounting tabs onto the ring.

Since we're cutting our own mount position into the Delorean bell housing, all of the original geometry becomes moot and you need to re-index it all.

deloreanz
10-01-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm in the process of my own Eagle swap, but I was curious about the timing ring. Am I correct in thinking that there are two methods to go about this; either using the stock timing ring and cutting into the bellhousing to make the sensor fit, or alternatively adding a toothed wheel to the back of the crank pulley w/ a sensor of its own? I assume you went the first route due to cost and the fact that it deviated the least from the original design.

DeLorean6934
03-23-2013, 09:08 PM
176501765117651 progress