PDA

View Full Version : Finally Sat in a DeLorean!

delorean4ever
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
One of the reasons I got my Engineering degree, was so that one day, I'd be able to afford one of these, my all-time favorite car, the DeLorean. Last week, I got to go on a tour of Mr. Lloyd Ganton's 'Ye Ole Carriage Shop Automobile Museum' near Jackson, Michigan. This was the fourth one I had ever seen in person, an early 82 model.

I was honored and thrilled when Mr. Ganton asked if I wanted to sit in it. It fit like a glove, PERFECT. Kind of like a Fiero, but roomier, like the Lotus Esprit I had sat in years ago in High School, but MUCH nicer. I really can't thank him enough for the privilege. Awesome doesn't begin to describe it.

The VIN is SCEDT26T8CD010221, anyone familiar with this car?

dvonk
08-03-2012, 11:31 PM
awesome feeling, isnt it? i got to sit in a DeLorean for the first time this year as well, at DCS 2012. Jim was kind enough to let me sit in 06960. :biggrin:

best of luck in your DeLorean quest!

Jimmyvonviggle
08-03-2012, 11:56 PM
What is the white car partially in the shot, a 60's era corvair?

Shep
08-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Lucky dog! The first DeLorean I ever sat in was my own, after I bought it and shipped it here from Las Vegas. :hihi2: Man what I would've given to have sat in one before that. Great idea taking pictures of your experience! It's always nice to look back and remember your first DeLorean experience. And it even has the thin dealer stripes! First one I've seen with that.

The VIN is SCEDT26T8CD010221, anyone familiar with this car?I did a quick search in the forums for "10221", and came up empty. There was a thread about headlights, but "10221" was part of the link that was posted. Then I took a look at the latest VIN listing here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1594-VIN-Chronology&p=67398&viewfull=1#post67398) (in the VIN Chronology thread), and the only thing that's known about it is that it's an '82 built in December of '81, with a grey interior, and in Michigan. The transmission type, city, and engine and frame number are all unknown. Although it looks to me like the interior may be black and not grey based on the pictures. Do you remember if it was an auto or a stick, and what color interior it was? Looks like it's in Spring Arbor, MI now.

By the way, I found a picture of it on their website here (http://www.yeolecarriageshop.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/automobiles/AR006502.JPG) (found on this page (http://yeolecarriageshop.com/id16.html)). And I found a picture of the Corvair right next to it here (http://www.yeolecarriageshop.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/automobiles/AR006402.JPG) (note the position of the signs in the background -- good guess Jimmyvonviggle!).

delorean4ever
08-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks! The car does have a grey interior, it looks dark in some pictures. It is a 5-speed manual, I hit my foot on the clutch pedal getting in and out of it! It also is in Spring Arbor, Michigan, just outside of Jackson. The museum has a lot of cars that were made in Jackson, it's an extraordinary collection.

Shep
08-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Sweet! Your experience located another DeLorean whose whereabouts were previously unknown! I've made an update in that thread listing the new info for VIN 10221 :thumbup:

Kukem
08-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I can relate to that feeling as I saw my first DeLorean just over a year ago. It was something else. Seen a few others since then on my quest to buy one, but I can say that the first one made quite the impact on me. Congrats and keep working towards the dream.

OverlandMan
08-04-2012, 04:38 PM
The first DeLorean I ever sat in was circa 1988 when I was 8 years old. I was at a friends house in Heath, TX when I noticed his neighbors garage door open and what appeared to be a DeLorean (from the rear). Sure enough it was and we went and knocked on the front door to ask if we could look at it. The lady said it was her husbands car and he was out of town (he was an airline pilot for Delta). She said we could look at it but not to touch it. Agreeing, we went into the garage and drooled over it. Of course we just so happen to see if it was unlocked, which it was. So we broke the rules and climbed inside and turned every knob and switch. Yea I know, we were little @sshole kids and deserved a whippin'. But that was the first one I ever sat in. Be nice to know what happened to it. They moved away probably 5-10 years after that. No I didn't catch the VIN, I was just a boy.

I sat in a couple of others before I finally got my car recently.

Romrok
08-04-2012, 04:53 PM
My first was in Pilot 25 on the first night of Eurofest '06. Should see my pic of me in her, like a goofy lil kid. Being from the Bahamas, you never see them around. I know of one that is missing an engine and is white. And 2 that are recent imports that I have yet to see. Almost bought the Copart car yesterday, but tossed it in at the last second. Much rather the 5 speed anyway.

kajcienski
08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
I like reading these type of posts - reminds and re-ignites that feeling we all had when we first sat in our cars. Being a product of the 80's and having seen quite a few DeLoreans, I actually first sat in one with Dave Swingle at the wheel during a test drive of 16793 (featured on their site). I had decided it was time to finally purchase a D and flew out to Chrystal Lake for the day - an hour later I fell for the DeLorean completely. What an amazing experience turning the key and getting it rolling for the first time! Many thanks to Dave and Julee for making my first true encounter totally awesome. Still today, I sometimes get that feeling of "how cool is this?!" when plunking down in the seat. All I need now is a "Dave-bot" to sit in the passenger's seat to diagnose any issues that (thankfully) rarely creep up. Ownership had yielded a great bunch of guys/gals and many new friends! As eccentric as we might be... ;)