PDA

View Full Version : General DeLorean Handling and Drive

pezzonovante88
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
What car(s) (if any) do you find have similar handling characteristics to the DeLorean? I find my car very unique in the way it feels in the corners. Since it's very rear-weight biased with wide rear tires, I would imagine a Porsche 911 might feel similar. What do you guys think?

DeLorean
08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
The DeLorean is pretty... unique. You might combine the feel of a Lotus and a Chevette, and you have the DeLorean.

ramblinmike
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
The DeLorean is pretty... unique. You might combine the feel of a Lotus and a Chevette, and you have the DeLorean.

PERFECT analogy.

David T
08-06-2012, 09:46 AM
It should come as no surprise, the Delorean handles like a Lotus of about the same time period with more rear bias. Since Lotus Engineering designed the frame and suspension and it came out like the Lotus with the backbone frame, similar front and rear suspension. The Lotus is a mid-engined car so they were able to get a little more weight ahead of the rear wheels. The major difference is the power-to-weight ratio so the Delorean does not have the same performance.
David Teitelbaum

DeLorean
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Yeah, most people when they first drive one, the feel is a bit nervous, and not entirely confident. When driving the car, I often have to tell myself "Yes, it will make this turn at this speed" - and then it does. Come in too fast, and typically they will just plow (understeer) however watch out. a quick load change like fast left, and an immediate counter steer, or getting on or off the gas near the limit will cause a bit of a pendulum effect, and the back will tend to let itself out a bit.

pezzonovante88
08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah, most people when they first drive one, the feel is a bit nervous, and not entirely confident. When driving the car, I often have to tell myself "Yes, it will make this turn at this speed" - and then it does. Come in too fast, and typically they will just plow (understeer) however watch out. a quick load change like fast left, and an immediate counter steer, or getting on or off the gas near the limit will cause a bit of a pendulum effect, and the back will tend to let itself out a bit.

I feel confident in the design's ability to take corners at considerable speed, but I get a little nervous since it's a 30 year car. Also, I bet once the back end kicks out, it'd be pretty hard to not loose control and spin.

DeLorean
08-06-2012, 09:22 PM
When it starts to come out, you can counter steer and get it back assuming you have enough road and don't hit a wall, car or berm first!

David T
08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The whole object of the suspension design is so the rear CAN'T come loose. If you do manage to break it loose an ordinary driver has little chance of stopping it. By the time you get enough correction in you will already be facing the other direction! It has to do with angular momentum and polar moment of inertia. With all of the weight behind the rear wheels, once it gets moving you aren't going to stop it. The good news is it takes a LOT to break the rear loose! One of the reasons for the big tires in the back and all of the weight on them. Lotus did an excellent job designing the Delorean.
David Teitelbaum

opethmike
08-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I gotta be honest, and disagree here. I've driven numerous DeLoreans and Esprits from that time period, and frankly, compared to the Lotus, DeLoreans feel like mush.