PDA

View Full Version : Electric Delorean on Tuned.

Chris Burns
08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6Lz-s9SE8&feature=share

pezzonovante88
08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I could only get the first minute, or so to play. But, anyway, I like my DeLorean's engine. When I'm driving through the twisties I can here the roaring and whining of the engine and drive-train right behind me. It reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8aLdIejPs Okay, so it's not as exciting as that engine, but it's still pretty cool.
Electric sports cars just don't do it for me, and when old classic cars are converted into electric cars, it takes away their character. Well, to each his own.

Chris Burns
08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Electric conversions aren't my thing either, but I'm just glad this went better than the last video Tuned made with the GN Delorean.

I drove the Stage 3 Delorean at DCS and it was fun!:smile:

OverlandMan
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
That guy really hates the stock PRV motors. So much so that he's done 2 shows to find alternatives.

Domi
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Stage 3 DeLorean must be really fun to drive and hear? Any video made at DCS of it?

pezzonovante88
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Stage 3 DeLorean must be really fun to drive and hear? Any video made at DCS of it?

Agreed. I'd like to see some good videos featuring a Stage 3.

DavidProehl
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
At 2:13 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6Lz-s9SE8#t=2m13s) he says they will "have to eventually reproduce" left front fenders. I thought the cost of making a die to stamp them out was beyond the realm of possibility, like more than a million dollars. Is that not the case?

Bitsyncmaster
08-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Driving kind of fast with the doors open.:nono:

Jimmyvonviggle
08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
That guy really hates the stock PRV motors. So much so that he's done 2 shows to find alternatives.

He's actually pretty fair. When he was on Adam Carrola's "the car show" he said he liked the car and would like to get one.

nofear365
08-07-2012, 07:14 AM
I thought this thing accelerated to 60 in 5 seconds or less?

Watch the part where he merges onto the highway. "Full throttle. There's 15............... 20...............50....."

HUH?

Kenny_Z
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
At 2:13 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6Lz-s9SE8#t=2m13s) he says they will "have to eventually reproduce" left front fenders. I thought the cost of making a die to stamp them out was beyond the realm of possibility, like more than a million dollars. Is that not the case?

I actually talked to dad about this before since that's what he does. He's tool and die. He guessed a die like this would probably over seventy thousand dollars to produce. That doesn't include the costs to design it. It would have to be a multi-stamp with the machinery his company uses. They use single stroke machines so the lip for mounting would have to be bent in another machine. It would probably be cheaper for DMCH to have them built by hand for every D that needs one instead of investing in a die that would probably never return the profits.

dvonk
08-07-2012, 10:36 AM
interesting, that is the first ive heard of the "Reverse to Grid" system that can power your home in a blackout... pretty neat feature.

nofear365
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Solar panels for home use work the same way. You can feed BACK to the grid and in essence sell electricity to the power company with the energy you capture with your panels.

I looked into having this done for my house. Sounded perfect! It's VERY expensive though. 13k for a basic kit with installation. Then you have to have someone come in to run a 220 line into the system. You get rebates each year and whatnot but it's not enough to cover the cost of the system. The savings you get are questionable as well. I was told that the panels last about 10 years or so and then need to be changed. So after everything is said and done, you're only slightly ahead.

Ehh...

dvonk
08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
i knew you can do it with solar, wind, etc., but never realized it was possible with an EV. makes sense if you think about it though, just the car batteries providing the power instead of a solar battery array, etc.

DrJeff
08-07-2012, 01:31 PM
interesting, that is the first ive heard of the "Reverse to Grid" system that can power your home in a blackout... pretty neat feature.

I think buying a generator might be an easier solution, and you can refill it with gas when it runs out of fuel, not so with the Electric Delorean :cool:

Bitsyncmaster
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
I think the point was to power your house in a power outage time, not to power the grid with energy bought back at 50% the price by the power company. The 3 day statement is optimistic unless your just using lights, TV, radio. Your refrigerator is the most needed but takes quite a lot of energy.

OverlandMan
08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I think the point was to power your house in a power outage time, not to power the grid with energy bought back at 50% the price by the power company. The 3 day statement is optimistic unless your just using lights, TV, radio. Your refrigerator is the most needed but takes quite a lot of energy.

Yea - can't imagine running AC during these summer months here in Texas powered off this car for very long. That's by far the biggest power draw on my house this time of year.

dvonk
08-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I think buying a generator might be an easier solution, and you can refill it with gas when it runs out of fuel, not so with the Electric Delorean :cool:

haha, yeah i agree with all the above quotes, and hope to get a generator sometime. im an 'emergency preparedness' kind of guy. i just thought it was a neat feature.

will i be spending $90k on an E-DeLorean? nope. im fine with the standard internal combustion engine. :wink:

Dangermouse
08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I actually enjoyed that video. I think the guy is more than fair in his assessment.

As for the "Reverse to Grid" option, I don't see why Tesla etc can't do it either. You'll still need to add a few thousand in convertor equipment to make it work, and lay off the 220V loads if you want to see 3 days.

The other interesting comment was about adding batteries to where the frame now is, as apparently that isn't necessary any more with the EV :what_the:

Jimmyvonviggle
08-07-2012, 07:37 PM
i knew you can do it with solar, wind, etc., but never realized it was possible with an EV. makes sense if you think about it though, just the car batteries providing the power instead of a solar battery array, etc.

I remember back in 1998 here in Montreal when we had a bad ice storm and everyone lost power for weeks, the city brought in locomotive engines and placed them throughout the city and used them as generators. Interesting to see a big locomotive engine sitting on no tracks in a parking lot.

dvonk
08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I remember back in 1998 here in Montreal when we had a bad ice storm and everyone lost power for weeks, the city brought in locomotive engines and placed them throughout the city and used them as generators. Interesting to see a big locomotive engine sitting on no tracks in a parking lot.

that would be interesting to see. those large diesel generators in the train engines really do generate alot of electricity.

opethmike
08-08-2012, 08:48 PM
0 - 60 in sub 5 seconds? So why did it take a week for him to hit 70?