PDA

View Full Version : Delorean Statisitics on TXDMC.ORG

lazabby
06-20-2011, 08:58 PM
At the Texas Delorean Club website (www.txdmc.org) there is a lot of interesting information on Deloreans. For those who like to look at numbers go to that site. Click on the "Registry" tab and go to the bottom where you'll see a button named "Total VIN Stats". Click on that to see interesting facts. It lists over 1,000 VIN plate photos. It shows how many know electric Deloreans, BTTF Conversions, Stage I and Stage II engines, number of autos vs. manuals, gray vs. black interiors, breakdown of locations of Deloreans, etc. Contact the webmaster to update any information or send a photo of your VIN plate. You can also sing up for the Dolorean Owner's Directory (DOD) at the website.

DavidProehl
06-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Any idea how to update information on a vin # when I don't know the password? My car is still listed under the previous owner's location. I'd be happy to update it, but don't have the password.

lazabby
06-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Any idea how to update information on a vin # when I don't know the password? My car is still listed under the previous owner's location. I'd be happy to update it, but don't have the password.

You can contat me with updates on VINs. I changed the location in my dataase but it may be a little while before it's changed on the website.

Dracula
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
It also doesn't have 1601 listed as a Stage II car and the interior color is listed as black when its really gray. Ironically, they have my grooved hood listed correctly, despite the fact that I swap that piece out at my convenience.

For 1265, the hood is flapped, as that's where 1601's hood will reside.

lazabby
06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
It also doesn't have 1601 listed as a Stage II car and the interior color is listed as black when its really gray. Ironically, they have my grooved hood listed correctly, despite the fact that I swap that piece out at my convenience.

For 1265, the hood is flapped, as that's where 1601's hood will reside.

Did VIN 1601 orginally have a black interior? The earliest know gray interior didn't occur until around VIN 24XX? I forwarded your information to the webmaster for him to update with the Stage II info.

Dracula
06-21-2011, 10:08 AM
It was black, but I assumed that, since the hood change was updated, the interior change should be, too.

lazabby
06-21-2011, 11:32 AM
It was black, but I assumed that, since the hood change was updated, the interior change should be, too.

I like to keep stats of the cars as they were when they came out of the factory. I don't track the hood designs, type of engine, etc. but the webmaster does. I do try to find out about the engine number and frame number on the cars.

Dracula
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
I like to keep stats of the cars as they were when they came out of the factory. I don't track the hood designs, type of engine, etc. but the webmaster does. I do try to find out about the engine number and frame number on the cars.

I see. So, then, the two are done by separate people recorded in different manners; yours, of factory configuration; his, of present configuration. The mismatch here confused me, as I found it odd that it stated one of the swaps of my car; a decidedly more minor one, and ignored a major change.

Not to criticize your choice to report build data, but that list would leave whomever is looking at my car when I die very confused.

lazabby
06-21-2011, 12:17 PM
I see. So, then, the two are done by separate people recorded in different manners; yours, of factory configuration; his, of present configuration. The mismatch here confused me, as I found it odd that it stated one of the swaps of my car; a decidedly more minor one, and ignored a major change.

Not to criticize your choice to report build data, but that list would leave whomever is looking at my car when I die very confused.

My goal has alway been to collect basic information on the cars as they were when they came out of the factory plus the current location. I work with the webmaster and he puts that information on the site. He is collecting additional data which includes BTTF cars made, hood lines, etc. I decided it would take too much of my time to track changes in car interiors, engine swaps, etc. I could try to record hood type too but I decided that was more information than I wanted to keep track of. Other things that could be tracked are antennae types, wheel color types, door guide types (there were three) and who knows how many other factory changes? If someone wanted to take these lists and create a total build information on each car I suppose they could. It would be a lifelong project that could never be completed.

DeloreanJoshQ
06-21-2011, 12:45 PM
VIN 3307 needs to be changed to Worthington, OH.
3281 is the frame number.
Hood is grooved with no gas flap.
I'm not currently in the DOD. How do I join and get a password?

Thanks!

nofear365
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
3501 is in Staten Island, not Brooklyn.

Thx

DavidProehl
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
05457 is in Maple Grove, MN

Citizen
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
MEMBERS:

A few additional notes on Lazabby’s comments, and answers to your subsequent questions:

I am the web guy for the Texas club site who works with Lazabby on the VIN Registry (the Registry). Yes, Lazabby has invested countless hours doing research on VIN history and chronology. He has taken great pains to assemble the most complete and accurate list of DeLorean production information that I know of. His compassion for DeLorean VIN history in unmatched, in my opinion, and such an effort required someone as dedicated as he is. My part has been to assist Lazabby by displaying the Registry information via the internet, as a service to the DeLorean community.

You’ve already read (see post #9) about Lazabby’s original goal of collecting basic, original information and current location on the complete DeLorean inventory. In addition to that, I have been trying to accumulate additional information about the cars when possible, such as conversions and unique features. As you might guess, the number and type of possible conversions done to these cars is limited only by the owner’s imagination. And successfully tracking them will only be a function of the willingness of current owners to participate. Nevertheless, the tracking of DeLorean conversions is a separate endeavor from the Registry, or DeLorean VIN chronology. But the Registry database itself is perfectly suited for use as a vehicle (no pun intended) for tracking conversions. This is where some confusion exists. Yes, we (the Texas club) only have one Registry, which is being meticulously maintained by Lazabby, and contains original factory information and current locations. But adjunct to that information, is the subsequent conversion information, which is in a fledgling state, and is maintained by me.

So yes, there are two efforts going on, but both are leveraging the same database. Types of data being tracked in the Registry are:
 Model Year
 Build Year/Month
 Interior
 Transmission
 Engine & Frame Number
 Location

Types of additional conversion data being tracked are:
 Stage I, II, III conversions, Eagle Swaps and Turbo Engines
 Painted or Chrome Shined Cars
 Electric Cars
 RHD
 BTTF Conversions
 Gold Cars
 Hood Lines (grooved) and Gas Flap
 Interior conversions (any non Black/Gray interiors)
 Other types of conversions (Limo, HoverCraft, Convertible, Trailers, 4x4, Police Chase, etc.)
 Known Wrecks (so to not expend effort trying to track then down)

Although it would be fun, some things that are not planned on being tracked are:
 Stripes (decals)
 Antennas
 Sway Bars
 Lowered Springs
 140, 180 MPH, Metric and other speedometers
 Stainless Steel Frames

(One additional note about conversion information and the VIN Registry: As part of the Registry, we are attempting to catalog an image of the physical VIN plate for each car. In addition, the database has the capability of storing other images as well, i.e. the dash plate, the exterior, the interior, window stickers and other special features about each individual car. For this reason, there is no need to track strips or lowered cars).

The Registry Is now quite mature. But the conversion information is a work in progress, and improvements are underway. Some of the planned improvements are:

1) A side by side comparison of the original factory information (from the Registry) with the current conversion information (from owners or other sources).
2) A listing of US state count on a single display page.
3) Numerous updates on engine conversions.
4) A more granular listing of countries with very few counts.

Of course, suggestions from you, the DeLorean community, are always welcome.

I have read numerous discussion threads from years past where someone will say something like they wished there was a single point for DeLorean community information, including a Directory (before there was one), and a Registry, where individual car information and/or pictures could be stored. And in fact, there are in existence variations of these.

The tracking of the additional conversion information will probably never be able to be completed. But, a best effort attempt on compiling such information could be fun for the DeLorean community. There are many people that have already contributed to the non-commercial DeLorean community in unique ways (Espey, Birdwell, Yocom, Ken K. Ken M. Rich W., Grimsrud, and so many more). This conversion consolidation of information is hopefully just another small contribution.

Also notable, is that we did not set out to become the keepers of the DeLorean Owner’s Directory (DOD), but as the course of events unfolded, we eventually did that as well. And because we are both associated with the Texas club, we leveraged the Texas club web site to house both the Registry, the conversion information and the new DOD.

And finally, the Registry and its adjunct and conversion information, AND the DOD, are all separate, distinct and unaffiliated with DMC or any commercial entity.

And now to answers some general questions:

How do I update VIN information for the Registry? Contact Lazabby by email with all relevant information.

How do I update conversion or other information? Contact me (Citizen, tak at citizenkidd.com) via email.

How do I join the DOD? Here are the steps for joining and obtaining a copy of the Directory:
 Submit directory information.
 Allow us time to verify your information, and 'Activate' your status.
 Use your password to update or delete your information at any time.
 Obtain the DOD password.
 Download the latest directory (published periodically).

More specifically, follow these steps:
1. Go to the Texas club web site at TxDMC.org and click on the “DOD” tab at the top (right next to “Registry”).
2. If you were already a member, then click on UPDATE Entry, and enter your information. You will need to use your previous password to update your information. Then click SUBMIT.
3. If you are new to the DOD, click NEW Entry, then enter all information, then click SUBMIT. After a short time (depending on work load), you will receive an email from us, which you will have to respond to, to complete your DOD activation.
4. Obtain the DOD password and download the directory.

The DOD will be published from time-to-time, and dictated by change activity and web-master work load. The DOD password will change with each new publication, so you’ll need to obtain it each time it is produced. It is anticipated to be republished at least twice per year (unless there are no changes).

And now to answers some specific questions from this thread:

How to update information on a VIN with no password (post 2)? You don’t need a password to update VIN information. Simple send Lazabby an email, which can be obtained right here from DMCtalk, or from other sources. You only need a password to update DOD information, which can be obtained by following the instructions on the DOD pages at the Texas club web site. The VIN data (the Registry) is transferred from Lazabby to the Texas club web site from time-to-time as needed.

I’m not currently in the DOD. How do I join and get a password (post 10)? For VIN 3307, you ARE in the DOD. You will not be able to join with a new entry. Perhaps the present entry was from the previous owner. If our entry is not you or yours, please email me separately about it.

In conclusion, I hope this information has been helpful. I apologize for any confusion about what we are doing. You are encouraged to participate in both the Registry and the DOD, if you are so inclined to do so. We solicit VIN plate photos (send to Lazabby), and conversion information (send to me). We also welcome suggestions for improvements.

And finally, some fun facts about the Registry and the new DOD:
 Number of cars believed to have been built:8987
 Number of VINs in Registry: 8559
 Difference of 428 (missing VINs)
 Number of VIN plate photos: 1016
 DOD members: 1142 (some may have more than one vehicle)
 Number of VINs believed originally in the US: 6728

Thomas (Citizen) Kidd
VIN 3341

Sidaries
06-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the information. I have only one question. When will be new DOD?
I have the old 2009 May version, but since then I had sent my info, but no new version came out.

Roman Legion
06-23-2011, 04:45 AM
I have the old 2009 May version, but since then I had sent my info, but no new version came out.

Yeah, I need one too.. I have an older and incomplete copy..

Dangermouse
06-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Thomas : Number of VINs believed originally in the US: 6728

I assume you mean "Number of VINs believed currently in the US: 6728.

Originally, presumably almost all VINs were originally in the US, apart from the couple of hundred Canadian, Middle East, RHDs etc.

(txdmc.org site down :( -to many owners updating their info )

Citizen
06-23-2011, 07:50 PM

The DOD is available right now. We did a preliminary publication, even though we are expecting to re-publish un July. Try it, nonetheless.

If you're already a DOD member, use your old password. If new, enter your info and select a new password.

Thanks for participating!

Citizen
06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I need one too.. I have an older and incomplete copy..

You should be able to download the pre-publication now.

Post here (or email me) if you guys have any problems.

Citizen
06-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Thomas : Number of VINs believed originally in the US: 6728

I assume you mean "Number of VINs believed currently in the US: 6728.

Originally, presumably almost all VINs were originally in the US, apart from the couple of hundred Canadian, Middle East, RHDs etc.

(txdmc.org site down :( -to many owners updating their info )

Agreed, that most VINs started in the US. But the 6728 number would be a combination, I believe, of cars originally in the US, and updates since then. Remember that cars that are no longer on the road would still be listed under their original or last location, even though they might have been wrecked years ago (that's one reason for trying to track wrecked VINs).

Anyway, I don't believe there are 6000+ cars in the US on the road. I think it is more like 4000-4500 (or about 60% of the 6k number for the US), with the rest being wrecked or not road worthy/registered, etc. But maybe Shannon could chime in.

Didn't know the site was down. When I check this morning it was fine. Checked it again just now, and also fine. But thanks for the advisory. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thomas

Sidaries
06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The DOD is available right now. We did a preliminary publication, even though we are expecting to re-publish un July. Try it, nonetheless.

If you're already a DOD member, use your old password. If new, enter your info and select a new password.

Thanks for participating!

I could download it. Thanks.

SamHill
06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
MEMBERS:

This would be a good sticky. As long as info is freely shared, it would be nice to be able to learn the stories behind individual vins. 8)