PDA

View Full Version : I just want to say thanks guys

Shep
08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
...for the very friendly atmosphere here. Everyone is accepted that isn't a blatant troll, and the only time I see harsh words being exchanged are when new guys start trolling or someone breaks a rule or something along those lines. Anyone that needs help, wants to learn, or even is just trying to understand our obsession is treated the way everyone should be treated. I have asked my fair share of stupid questions, made my fair share of stupid comments, and have been flat out wrong without a doubt on multiple occasions, but no one holds it against me. Instead, it becomes a learning experience for me and anyone else that thought the same thing. Everyone's treated like equals, the admins and mods are real down-to-earth, and vendors help out those that aren't even their customers.

The reason why I even feel compelled to mention any of this is because tonight I just went to another special interest forum. I had shared this interest for about a year now, and finally decided to get into the hobby a few months ago. It's one of those things that comes in kits that you assemble yourself. Long story short, the place I got it from has since closed up shop, I only realized the product was unusable now after I had almost completely finished assembling it, and I've been looking elsewhere to get into the hobby again. I figure instead of building it myself, I'd buy one pre-assembled, except these are hard to find. So I did my research, shopped around, and narrowed it down to options from three vendors. I already came across two in the past, both of which had sub-par quality in certain areas, and the third I knew nothing about. After extensive google searches, I discovered zero reviews on them, but I knew full well they had been in business for a while since I had seen them when I bought the first one.

So I posted a thread in the "official" forum asking what everyone's thoughts were on this seller. I knew there were a handful of people on there that had purchased from this seller, but never talked about it. Less than a half hour later, I get a response back basically saying "why the hell are you considering them if you know nothing about them? You already bought a botched product once, are you that careless to do it again?! Don't you know we have a for sale section of this forum?!?!" Jesus H. Christ, I was just asking, what the hell is the attitude for? The whole reason I was asking in the first place was so I could LEARN about them, and give deserving people some business if they make a good product. And if they don't make a good product or screw people over, then I could LEARN about that and decide to buy elsewhere. I'm considering them because it's an option, not because I'm genuinely convinced they're the undeniable best place to get the damn thing. Even sadder is I waited an hour or two for another response, and no one else said anything.

So I looked in the for sale section. The first five pages date back to May of this year, which includes quite a few posts from much longer before that because people bump the threads asking if they're still for sale. And in those first five pages, only TWO were pre-assembled. Yes, five pages and TWO options, even less than what I had narrowed it down to (which was AFTER I filtered out some of them). One looked like ass and was pretty much guaranteed to fail (but seemed to generate fall-through interest), and the other had been on sale since June with zero interest shown, so lord knows what the hell is wrong with that one. Honestly, is being a giant douchebag because I asked a simple question about a vendor that has no affiliation with the forum the norm over there? Bloody hell, apparently you have to be a respected member to get anywhere over there.

People ask the same damn questions over here on DMCTalk, and we actually HELP them! We steer them away from scam artists, give them confidence when they've chosen a good vendor, and give them other options when what they've found isn't quite what they're looking for. That's what I love about this forum, any serious question about anything, whether stupid, crazy, uninformed, misguided, or spot-on accurate and intelligent, is given an honest answer, perhaps with a joke in there, but certainly in the friendliest way possible. If someone is a dick with these questions, I have yet to see it. Eccentric and/or strange, perhaps, but never have I seen a question garner a demeaning attitude here.

So thanks for making this a warm and welcome place to be, enough that I took it for granted and now see how fortunate we as a community are. I only hope that the same holds true when/if I finally meet some of you guys in person. Now someone come up with some whippersnapper wisecrack so I don't sound like a pansy. :)

Dangermouse
08-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Aaaannnnnndddddd breath out. .......

OverlandMan
08-11-2012, 11:09 PM
My previous project to 5482 was a 1948 Willys CJ2A. There is a terrific forum http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/ of which I am still active even though I sold my Jeep. Even though I don't know most of the folks as well over here in the DeLorean community, the group seems pretty solid. Outside of the CJ2A folks & here, I can't say that about any other forum.

Shep
08-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Aaaannnnnndddddd breath out. .......:hihi2:

Sorry, just thought I'd have a positive rant for a change :wink:

Soundkillr
08-12-2012, 07:45 AM
...yea, spend some time on the viper forums and see how you like it. People are just douches.

DeLorean03
08-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree. One thing I would do is see if the NE Ohio area has a club. When I first got up here, I jumped right into get-togethers at Ken Koncelik's and Cliff's. Dude, the fun I have had with owners has simply renewed my love for the car. Doing your own thing and being involved on the forums is good, but finding a club to be active with is a whole different world.

Shep
08-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I agree. One thing I would do is see if the NE Ohio area has a club. When I first got up here, I jumped right into get-togethers at Ken Koncelik's and Cliff's. Dude, the fun I have had with owners has simply renewed my love for the car. Doing your own thing and being involved on the forums is good, but finding a club to be active with is a whole different world.I've actually been debating myself on this one. On the one hand, you're right, it would be wonderful to meet fellow owners around here. But on the other hand, "around here" usually means quite far away. The next DCO meet is in Sandusky, which is over an hour away, unless you count the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit, which is three hours away. Some of their meets are in Columbus, which is over two hours away, others are in Cincinnati, which is four hours away. Way too much driving for a club event. The weekly car show I attend has club membership, but I have only seen one DeLorean there in the past four years, so I strongly doubt there's a single DeLorean owner in that club.

I googled around for some other clubs, and no dice. Apparently there's none in Northeast Ohio. Hmm...

jmast
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I am a new member here and so far I like the vibe here...should I be worried???

DeLorean03
08-14-2012, 09:45 PM
I've actually been debating myself on this one. On the one hand, you're right, it would be wonderful to meet fellow owners around here. But on the other hand, "around here" usually means quite far away. The next DCO meet is in Sandusky, which is over an hour away, unless you count the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit, which is three hours away. Some of their meets are in Columbus, which is over two hours away, others are in Cincinnati, which is four hours away. Way too much driving for a club event. The weekly car show I attend has club membership, but I have only seen one DeLorean there in the past four years, so I strongly doubt there's a single DeLorean owner in that club.

I googled around for some other clubs, and no dice. Apparently there's none in Northeast Ohio. Hmm...

If we get an event going down here in Dayton/Cincy and you want to come, just let me know. I got a spare room you could sleep in so you dont have to drive all the way down here and then drive all the way back the same day. Just a offer for down the road!

Tamir A.
08-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the comments. Not everyone feels the way you do, and trust me the moderators and admin hear about it. But at the end of the day I hope the majority of people like yourself get something out of the forum and see it as a place for information and entertainment. Anything more than that and it can quickly spiral into complications, clashing personalities, egos, etc. It's called a DeLorean family/community for a reason, all families fight, it's just so much easier to do so online, and unfortunately much less likely to end in reconciliation than if done face to face.

Keep posting and keep enjoying the car, that's the real reason we are all here.

T.

stevedmc
08-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I am a new member here and so far I like the vibe here...should I be worried???

Only if you become friends with one of the trolls.

Dracula
08-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm curious what forum you had a problem with; I've had my share of issues on this forum, but there are some out there that are TERRIBLE and can make you hate subjects you're passionate about.

Shep
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I am a new member here and so far I like the vibe here...should I be worried???Oh no, not at all. My bad experience was with a different forum. I've never had problems of any kind here. :wink:

If we get an event going down here in Dayton/Cincy and you want to come, just let me know. I got a spare room you could sleep in so you dont have to drive all the way down here and then drive all the way back the same day. Just a offer for down the road!Thanks for the offer! :smile: I don't think I can take you up on it though, Dayton is too far for me to drive personally. I'd like to stay within 30 minutes of where I am, 45 if it's a particularly good event. DCS 2014 I hope to make it to, but we'll see when it gets closer.

Thanks for the comments. Not everyone feels the way you do, and trust me the moderators and admin hear about it. But at the end of the day I hope the majority of people like yourself get something out of the forum and see it as a place for information and entertainment. Anything more than that and it can quickly spiral into complications, clashing personalities, egos, etc. It's called a DeLorean family/community for a reason, all families fight, it's just so much easier to do so online, and unfortunately much less likely to end in reconciliation than if done face to face.

Keep posting and keep enjoying the car, that's the real reason we are all here.

T.I don't know if that other forum had bad and/or absent leadership or what, but that certainly was not the way I intended it to go. The seller I was posting about later provided input in that same thread and cleared up many questions I had. Man, when I was an admin of another forum, we ran a very tight ship whipping out warnings and bans left and right. Being 99% underage teenagers, as a wild and crazy as that place was, new members never got that kind of treatment.

I'm curious what forum you had a problem with; I've had my share of issues on this forum, but there are some out there that are TERRIBLE and can make you hate subjects you're passionate about.I'd rather not name names publicly; I don't want first impressions to lead to burned bridges. But I will say it was on the subject of 3D prototyping. I've had an interest for a while and hope to combine it with DeLoreans soon. I've got some things planned out that I may wind up distributing later on :wrenchin:

nullset
08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I have some experience with rapid prototyping stuff. What are you thinking of getting or looking for?

Feel free to PM me.

My local hackerspace has a makerbot, there are a few repraps there, and I've got a Z Corp powder printer as well.

--buddy

Shep
08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I have some experience with rapid prototyping stuff. What are you thinking of getting or looking for?

Feel free to PM me.

My local hackerspace has a makerbot, there are a few repraps there, and I've got a Z Corp powder printer as well.

--buddyI came across another one, actually, and made an agreement with the seller to get it off of him. I'm already quite good with 3D modeling and CAD, so this should be second nature to me. It's just a matter of getting my feet wet.