PDA

View Full Version : Deloreans look much different in real life vs. pics

Michael
08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
After having everyone ask me if my car was the one at a local Hyundai Dealership and as I was driving by, curiosity got the best of me and I stopped in for a peek. First here is the ad with pics:
http://www.friendshiphyundaijc.com/used/Delorean/1981-Delorean-1-f5046bd90a0a0065016624293df8a4d8.htm

Not bad looking right? In person, not so much. She looked pretty sad. The first thing I noticed is how dingy the stainless looked, dull and full of scratches and cross graining. The seats were cracked and seams splitting. The binnicle cracked, lots of rubber trim falling off and old tan rubber adhesive showing on just about every rubber/fiberglass seam from previous fixes. The interior had a lot of caked on crud and dried sludge in the cracks. None of the interior lights or door lights worked, and some were barely staying in place(window switches were also just sitting in place) I thought for a minute maybe this isn't the same car in the pics but quickly dismissed it. The stainless had a few dents in it, the front fascia was a mess(bad paint job and warped) All black trim was dull gray from age and no care, the black fiberglass was "spraybombed" with limited masking. Stainless was dented in several places, someone tried to grain a place in the hood and made a clean spot. Engine looked like a 30k mile all original engine should I guess...still running original header tank. Frame, although dirty, looked rust free and all coating still looked intact.

All in all, it looked like you would expect a 30k mile Delorean that had sat the last 1-2 years outside should look...not horrible, but needing lots of TLC and $. They said it started and ran good. Maybe(so they think I;m serious) I will take 5609 up there and see if I can get a test drive.

It just kind of suprised me how sad this car looked in person when the pictures of it looked so good. If I do go back I will take more pics, but for now this is all I got...and something occured to me, this is the only pic I have of me with a Delorean and it's not even my car!

cybercusp
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Unreal. I actually responded to this ad and the description of the vehicle was quite a bit different from how the vehicle must be in person. I can't believe it's the same vehicle they described to me. In all fairness maybe I misunderstood, but they told me nothing needed to be done to the car, which is what made me decide to not pursue it. I felt like something would need to be done based on the car having sat for so long without any major service. Thanks for posting.

Michael
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
I just left a message offering to detail and somewhat refurbish the car. I gave them a price and although it's not my normal rate, I just want to do another Delorean, I think it would be fun. I don't know if they will call me back or not being it's a consignment car.

In fact, here is the CL ad I found:
http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/3064124387.html

Dangermouse
08-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm guessing they won't take you up on the offer. I think the CL ad is by the owner, so I'm sure he thinks it is clean enough.

Perhaps if they ad your cost to the $22k and pay you when it sells also :), though it would probably sell quicker and for more money if properly detailed.

Michael
08-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Went by tonight with 5609 to take some detail shots and maybe steal a test drive but....SOLD :( They said it sold to a guy in Texas and was shipped to him, maybe not there yet but soon. I'm sure he is going to be very disappointed when he lays eyes on it. For future ref. vin# is SCEDT26T8BD003154 Flapped, gray int. manual.

Dangermouse
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
A Mr. S. Wynne, perhaps?