PDA

View Full Version : Carbureted time machine

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Another owner in the Baton Rouge area has been asking me about carburetion for about a year now. I won't take the time to explain the whole situation, but now his car doesn't always start. He gets enough attention on the road as it is since he has a time machine conversion, but it is even worse when the car won't start.

I am taking off work this Monday to carburete his car to see if his problem has been fuel related or not.

thirdmanj
08-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Wait wait, the Time Machine doesn't reliably start? Doesn't sound like a problem, sounds like it's just REALLY screen accurate!

But seriously. Seems like a pretty drastic step for "trouble shooting". Why not just call it a carb conversion and be done with it? Best of luck to you my man, hope all goes well.

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Wait wait, the Time Machine doesn't reliably start? Doesn't sound like a problem, sounds like it's just REALLY screen accurate!

But seriously. Seems like a pretty drastic step for "trouble shooting". Why not just call it a carb conversion and be done with it? Best of luck to you my man, hope all goes well.

The throttle plate was very soft so another owner suggested replacing the fuel accumulator. Replacing the fuel accumulator did not fix the issue. In addition to this, the other owner spent a second day swapping ignition components and who knows what else. I wasn't involved with this but I know a lot of time was spent by a seasoned owner.

In addition to this, the car was sent to DMCH for $4k worth of fuel system work when it was originally purchased and it still never ran right. Drew is just tired of spending money on this car and is about to give up.

His issue might not be fuel related but I offered to loan him my carb for testing purposes. If it works then great. If it doesn't then maybe he should set fire to the car.

OverlandMan
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
If it works then great. If it doesn't then maybe he should set fire to the car.

This would be my solution as well... :bang:

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
I've actually been trying to talk the guy into fixing whatever is wrong with K-Jet but he is tired of dealing with the thing. He just wants to enjoy his car. Whats wrong with that?

SamHill
08-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I've actually been trying to talk the guy into fixing whatever is wrong with K-Jet but he is tired of dealing with the thing. He just wants to enjoy his car. Whats wrong with that?

Because he's taking a step backward in time.

thirdmanj
08-15-2012, 04:10 PM

:yesss: :hysterical: HAHAHAAA

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 04:11 PM
:yes: :hysterical: HAHAHAAA

BAN HIM! He hurt my feelings.

Michael
08-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I've actually been trying to talk the guy into fixing whatever is wrong with K-Jet but he is tired of dealing with the thing.

Maybe let someone who is competent In F.I. work on it?

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe let someone who is competent In F.I. work on it?

Please see post #3.

In addition to this, the car was sent to DMCH for $4k worth of fuel system work when it was originally purchased and it still never ran right.

SamHill
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

I refuse to be continually harrassed by you! Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone...? ...anyone? Oh.

Damn, I was hoping to get the bullies excited. Now I'm just like a small, yippy dog without the big dog to come bail me out :bawling:

OverlandMan
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM

Thats pretty funny :nutkick:

thirdmanj
08-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Hey buddy, you mind fixing my emoticon?

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey buddy, you mind fixing my emoticon?

:nutkick:

thirdmanj
08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
;)

Ron
08-15-2012, 05:53 PM
...the car was sent to DMCH for $4k worth of fuel system work when it was originally purchased and it still never ran right.30+ years ago!?! Still no such thing...

:yesss:

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 06:16 PM
30+ years ago!?! Still no such thing...

:yesss:

When it was originally purchased by the current owner.

Ron
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM
When it was originally purchased by the current owner.
So he purchased it new w/o a warranty??

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 10:40 PM
So he purchased it new w/o a warranty??

He bought it about 3 years ago without a warranty. It was used.

Kenny_Z
08-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Isn't that his daily driver or only car? Do whatever it takes to make the car run right. Hopefully that solves the issue.

I'd be willing to install his Kjet on Red if it needs to be tested on an unconverted car. I'm no expert but Red is running perfectly so I know that all of my components are in working order.

stevedmc
08-15-2012, 11:56 PM
The time machine is his only car. It's a really sucky situation but at least he works from home.

He just needs to get the thing running. He doesn't have time to wonder if kjet is working or not.

Kenny_Z
08-16-2012, 12:15 AM
I just thought I'd offer if he was looking at the possibility of putting the Kjet back on down the road. Plus if the carb swap didn't help then you still have the questionable Kjet in addition to whatever else is going on. I figured you had Farrar's car there closer but the offer stands, I don't mind helping anyone out.

dvonk
08-16-2012, 07:39 AM
since it hasnt been said yet:

props to you, steve, for helping out another owner. let us know how it goes! id be interested in seeing photos too, if you feel like taking them. :biggrin:

stevedmc
08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
since it hasnt been said yet:

props to you, steve, for helping out another owner. let us know how it goes! id be interested in seeing photos too, if you feel like taking them. :biggrin:

People seem to think I'm a jerk but I help out lots of people. A few weeks ago I helped the same guy fix his ac. He still owes me a few cans of freon.

1Mcfly4u
08-16-2012, 10:50 AM
People seem to think I'm a jerk but I help out lots of people. A few weeks ago I helped the same guy fix his ac. He still owes me a few cans of freon.

I don't think you're a jerk, I find it refreshing to have someone here with some witty banter since the couple of other witty banterers have been exiled. I hope you guys get it straight since that is his only car and all.

stevedmc
08-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I don't think you're a jerk, I find it refreshing to have someone here with some witty banter since the couple of other witty banterers have been exiled. I hope you guys get it straight since that is his only car and all.

So far I've had this message of support and one private message of support. I guess that makes two.

If you don't believe me, check my PM history. My password is dmctalksucks

OverlandMan
08-16-2012, 11:52 AM
My password is dmctalksucks

:thumbdown:

This makes no sense. If you hate this forum, why not leave? Or go start your own DMC forum. Or is this another joke? You're giving me tired-head.

stevedmc
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
:thumbdown:

This makes no sense. If you hate this forum, why not leave? Or go start your own DMC forum. Or is this another joke? You're giving me tired-head.

Who said I hate the forum?

Dangermouse
08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Need a photoshopper to do the obvious

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515BQQ6%2Be9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

j/k

stevedmc
08-23-2012, 02:03 PM
I forgot to mention that the carb conversion was a success. I mentioned it on the DML and a few of us got banned as well.

SamHill
08-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I forgot to mention that the carb conversion was a success. I mentioned it on the DML and a few of us got banned as well.

Every additional car and every additional trouble-free mile is only evidence of how wrong you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qro7oBzUBos

Kenny_Z
08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Awesome, glad it is working for him. And what...no pictures?

Nicholas R
08-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! :wink:

Glad to hear another car is back on the road.

I could not care less about what is under the engine cover of a DeLorean as long as the car runs and makes the owner happy. Job well done sir! :thumbup: