PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Spax Adjustment

dmcburn75
06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, I finally went for the spax shocks. They look good and are all black which I think is more fitting then the original yellow.

I just wanted to get a consensus as to the settings you all are using... Do you keep the front in concert with the back, for example 10 clicks in the front should be 10 clicks in the back? Also is it normal to be able compress the shocks with your hands? Prob a real newb question but what the heck. Thanks all

stevedmc
06-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Be careful when you do adjust your shocks. Mine were a little difficult to turn by hand so I used a small screw driver last time. On one of them the knob actually came off, the fluid sprayed out of it, and now the shock is on its way to London to see if they will repair it.

Grover
06-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I had 5 all around....waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soft for me, so I went with 12 all around, nice and stiff which is perfect for handling but a bit too hard for me. I am going to try out 10 this weekend, I think that would be good. Spax mentions that 4 clicks is a big change, so I want to be in the middle of 8 and 12.

outatym2001
06-27-2011, 12:07 AM
I had the four bright yellow Spax shock installed on my D at DMC Northwest and they set the rear height adjustment collar to halfway and I like that look. I have the original springs on the rear and nine year old PJ Grady front lowering springs.
They installed the shocks with fourteen clicks on all four. That was way too stiff for me although it was fun to go around corners at twice the posted speed limit and I swear I could feel the D lifting almost off the pavement on the inside rear corner. Okay some times it was a little scary going that fast and I would try each road several times to be sure I could go even faster each time.

After several days I would reach in and back off four clicks and try that. I eventually backed off until there were no more clicks and I’m happy with it. It’s firm but not too firm and it still has that sports car ride.

DCUK Martin
06-27-2011, 04:37 AM
The shocks are there to dampen out oscillations in the springs. If you want a stiff ride, you should be getting higher rate springs first and foremost...