PDA

View Full Version : A reversible time machine conversion

Michael
08-17-2012, 07:39 PM
I have long thought this would be a good idea for someone who has the time to make. Maybe someone else could run with it and sell me the first one for giving away such a good idea :) I really think there would be a market for a reversible conversion, not screen accurate of course, but enough to get the job done. Here is my idea: A standoff scale Time Machine conversion that is not permanant and can be reversed whenever desired.

Trunk area:, a single piece of plastic/pressboard with 2 side pieces for each quarter glass. It would not be hard to use the engine cover louver latch/handle as a securing point to hold everything in place. The louvers and struts would have to be removed but quarter glass would stay in place so the items in this area would be very low profile. Nothing too hard to fabricate in this area just the basics and a bunch of hoses.

Interior: A few single pieces of vacum formed clear plastic, painted to replicate the 3 or 4 main panels and lit from the inside using cut to length LED lighting like shown here:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=23346
To simplify even further, only white LED strips can be used and switches and panels could easily be replicated in color using stage gels or transparent paint, or transparent covering for rc airplanes. This way you don't have to put a bulb behind every light, just make a light box of sorts and mask the areas keeping them clear and free of paint where the switches are to be. The spectrum display behind the seat, would be done in the same way. The time/date display template would have to be made from a file but I doubt it would be too hard to replicate in a transparent overlay. The thing here is master plugs would have to be made, with relief buttons and switches to stretch the clear plastic over during the vacuforming process. I suppose you could build these boxes from stock clear plexiglass, and simply mask off the lit buttons/switches, but there would be no dimension to it....but considering how much easier it would be to make, I could live with that too. Add a couple of wire bundles and a DS Flux capacitor and you are golden.

Exterior wiring and flux grills: This could easily be made but attaching to the car without causing any permanant damage might be tricky. Someone would have to "engineer by the seat of his pants" here and find securing points for the grills and wire bundles. Again the same LED strip lighting is ideal to backlight the flux grills it since it's already resisted to 12v and can be cut and spliced to any length.

This I think would give a good representation of a time machine and if a kit like this existed I would be all over it assuming the price point is in the sub 3k range and still looks decent and be something that could install in a few hours, be completely removable and put back to stock whenever the owner desires. Imagine having a Delorean during the week and a Time machine on weekends, with no permanant modification to your car! Video Bob, Bruce..... I, we want this!!!!

tyb323
08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I've heard that some guy who used to be in our club did this for parades. I have not seen it personally, although I did see someone with the rear windows covered in a vinyl that made it look like it had stuff on the back shelf

Kenny_Z
08-19-2012, 12:55 PM
That's simple. Some streamers, some cardboard boxes, and removable wall hooks.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/PC100068.jpg
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/PC100078.jpg

Red was a hit in the parade ;)

Jeff K
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
My son wants to convert one of our D's into a Time Machine soooo bad! It's very cute - he knows all the vendors, parts and their names.

He actually found a rear deck overlay that could be removable and a center console piece. (a reduced version of course)

I just can't being myself to drill holes in my car, but that's me..
Jeff