PDA

View Full Version : Not for plutonium, but may be helpful anyway

Spittybug
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
One of the cool things about being a vodka fan is the variety of bottles that distillers come up with to try and hook you into trying their juice. Unfortunately for me, my favorite vodka, Viking Fjord from Norway is no longer carried by my local liquor chain, Specs. So, I've been trying new ones every time I go back. This one caught my eye because of the cool extruded aluminum canister it comes in. It's called KRU 82 and it is made from grain in Holland. After trying it, I must admit it isn't bad and the price is pretty good at ~$19 for a 1.75l. I've bought it a few times by now and am starting to collect these bottles! I was thinking about using them to bottle my homemade beer in, but then remembered that beer and aluminum don't play well together without the polymer linings in the cans. Being aluminum they conduct heat well, so don't make good personal drinking cans (I never understood marketing aluminum for something that is meant to keep things cold....)

I'm not really into the BTTF props but I may affix the plutonium marker to the bottle and leave it casually laying around for car shows. Other than for a prop, the obvious use would be as an overflow bottle.

Short of building an array of them into a rocket launcher on the sun louvers, can anyone else think of a cool use for these things?

Separately, if there are other vodka snobs out there, we can start a thread in the open section and compare notes on different brands.

dvonk
08-20-2012, 10:01 PM
i am a fan of vodka as well, probably not as much as you, though. favorite i have tried thus far is Reyka (http://www.reyka.com/) from Iceland.

i dont drink as much so i can add more to the DeLorean fund. :wink:

jawn101
08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm a sucker for cool drink packaging as well Owen :)

I always liked Rain vodka, it claims to be "organic" (I have no doubt that it is, since it's clearly comprised mainly of hydrocarbons) but it tastes really nice. Or Hanger One, their distillery is under an hour from my house and I have friends that work there.

Spittybug
09-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I found out that this isn't aluminum, but is actually SS. I emailed the company and asked if it was lined with anything (like beer cans) since I was thinking of putting some of my home brew in them. No liner, straight SS. Surprised me.