PDA

View Full Version : General Silver tank

jfirios
08-21-2012, 01:26 AM
While working under the car there is a silver tank behind the passenger front wheel. One, I have no idea what the tank is for. It seems to be pressurized because when i touched the spot where the wires are connected to it, it hissed. Does anyone know what it is and that spot where the wires are connected seemed loose, does that need to be tightened down?

Nicholas R
08-21-2012, 01:44 AM
That's the accumulator for the Air Conditioning System. It is pressurized; filled with freon/R-12. Do not let it out. The the part that the wires plug into is the low pressure switch. It should be screwed fairly tightly to bottle. That switch is what determines when the AC compressor should turn on and off, based on the pressure that the freon is under in the accumulator.

jfirios
08-21-2012, 01:50 AM
okay, when i touched it, it seemed loose and I was able to turn it so I assume that it is now loose and should be tightened to the bottle. I think though that it has r134a in it, there is a sticker in the engine bay from the PO that the car was modified to handle r134a

WelmoedJ
08-21-2012, 03:59 AM
okay, when i touched it, it seemed loose and I was able to turn it so I assume that it is now loose and should be tightened to the bottle. I think though that it has r134a in it, there is a sticker in the engine bay from the PO that the car was modified to handle r134a

If the switch hisses, it leaks.
If it seemed loose and you have turned it tighter it shouldn't be hissing any more.
Anyway you did loose some refrigerant, which may result in a less optimally working A/C.

jfirios
08-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Well the AC wasnt working in the first place. Again I think the car was converted to R134 coolant. But am not sure. You never can tell what a PO has really done or not done to your car. I should just unhook the wires and tighten the connector and then re attach the wires.