PDA

View Full Version : Engine Sea Foam...Drive your engine clean, then clean your car....reapeatedly!

DMC3165
08-24-2012, 01:17 AM
On the advice of a co-worker I decided to try and use Sea-Foam in my gas to clean out the fuel system,

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

My coworker said his uncle owns a scrap yard and they had breathed new life into some old engines using this stuff. So i decieded to to give it a whirl in my fuel system. Several days after I put it in I began to notice puffs of smoke coming out the exhaust everytime i changed gears. Nothing crazy but noticeable. He did tell me it'll clean carbon deposits and I might see something like this. Didn't pay it much attention. However a few days later i decieded to drive the D to work which is about 80 miles round trip. When I got to work I noticed a film on all my rear windows and the back fascia. Some was black dust, obviously carbon, some were specs of white powder which i know is dried up ethanol ( I work for Shell products US ). the rest was like a parifin wax. which was odd because i have no clue what that is. It even left a haze on the bumper which has been an absolute pain to clean. Only because it kept coming back as I'd drive down the road. On my second tank now without the seafoam and it's cleaning effects are dying down but this stuff even cleaned out the inside of the exhust tips to the point where all the carbon is gone and there is just rusty metal inside the tailpipe. In hindsight i might not have used this stuff if i knew what a mess it was going to make. But on the other hand the car runs great! Not that it ran bad before but it does feel like it has slightly better throttle response and winds up real nice and sounds good all the way up past 5000 rpms.

So it works great but it's messy as hell!

Michael
08-24-2012, 07:55 AM
When I worked for Mercedes, we used it to clean neglected engines. It did great cleaning out sludge that had built up. I would have a customer drop by(or instruct them) to put it in about 500-700 miles before an oil change. Maybe on really bad engines I would put it in with the oil change and have them come back for another oil change in another 500 miles or so.

There is one consideration for this type of product and similiar cleaning agents. Depending on how bad the engine was to begin with, you must be very aware that the oil filter can get clogged up with all the loose material flowing through the engine, even the oil pickup is at risk. That is why we change the oil and filter soon after the Seafoam application, and in most cars we would drop the oil pan to clean it out and make sure the pickup is OK. That's easier said than done in a Delorean.

David T
08-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Make sure any additives you use say they are compatible with Catalytic converters and Oxygen sensors or you will be replacing them too. The additives should also be compatible with the seals, hoses, and gaskets or they can start to leak. I tend to dislike the use of additives, in most cases they do not work as advertised. I do use motor flush before an oil change on occasion and I like Techron as a fuel system/injector cleaner. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil for break-in. ALWAYS use as directed. Do not mix your own concoctions or use more than recommended. Modern gasoline already has cleaners in it.
David Teitelbaum

Spittybug
08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
I know a lot of "hard core" car guys that swear up and down that the Seafoam is the only stuff they will use. I don't have first hand knowledge of it, just passing that along for what it's worth.

elfking
08-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee as my daily driver and it has the Mopar 5.9L v8 in it. ( very well known for pinging issues also in a lot of dodge pickups of that era ) I have taken all sorts of steps / recalled items to try and solve it... replaced every sensor I could think of getting desperately annoyed with the pinging.

That's what lead me to Seafoam... Running that into the engine via a vacuum line, it cleaned it out a few times and makes the pinging stop for about half a year or

Didn't hurt anything, I have 209,000 miles on it with no rebuilds other then the transmission. Drive about 100 miles a day on it.

At least it seems to help, I've done it a few more times when the pinging pisses me off and other then smoking plenty while I've done it. The first time it didn't smoke very much until I drove it down the street. It then looked like a 007 smoke screen down a block or so haha.

DMC3165
08-28-2012, 05:07 AM
Modern gasoline already has cleaners in it.
David Teitelbaum

Trust me if you saw what additives were in gasoline you'd be amazed it even burns. Shell uses NEMO 1121 and Sunoco uses Keropur AP-205-20-M. In their unmixed form it has the consistencey of molasess and has the most overpowering odor you'd ever smell in your life. We only use it to bump the octane and make sure nobdoy else is putting their gas in our stations.

Ryan King
04-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Just added the Sea Foam to my fuel. I was having a bit of a harder idle then normal, the injectors must be dirty. We will see how this goes. Im a bit nervous

Kenny_Z
04-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I used it to wake up an old 4.3 in an Astro I'd just purchased. I also noticed I had an exhaust leak and a hole in the cat thanks to the smoke. I had people flashing their lights at me thinking my van was on fire when I was driving the stuff out of the system. It worked though. It evened out the idle and helped the throttle response.

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 09:25 AM
I've only ever used seafoam through a vacuum line and let the car sit and played with the throttle until most of the smoke screen was gone. I figured it was to dangerous for other drivers, not even thinking that it might get all over the car. Never had any issues as I always pointed the noise upwind.

justlooking
04-20-2013, 10:42 AM
As long as people are willing to buy seafoam, they will be willing to buy engine flushes, rental car insurance, testosterone vitamins, and timeshares. Why not ask Josh Bengston if you should be seafoaming your delorean (ie someone who tears down engines on a daily basis)?

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 10:48 AM
I for one have never paid for an engine flush, love the idea of rental insurance because you just hand them the keys and walk away. I don't take supplements/vitamins and don't plan to until a doctor tells me it's either change my diet or take vitamins, in which I'll probably change my diet. As for timeshares, I think it's a waste of money unless you're in that narrow group of people that always goes on vacation and always stays in some type of hotel in which your vacation club/timeshare company owns part of. I'm simply too spontaneous and refuse to be limited by locations. That and I have access to military lodging which beats the pants off of any deal I've ever seen from a timeshare...other than the freebies for doing the "information session" which I have no problem doing!

As for cleaning out motors if you don't like Seafoam you should look up cleaning your motor out with plain water. It's a proven method that works well...IF done properly.

Kenny_Z
04-20-2013, 11:07 AM
I figured it was to dangerous for other drivers, not even thinking that it might get all over the car.

It was a horrible and ripped up dirt road. I didn't expect anyone to be on it but there were a lot more farms out there than I thought. I thought that was a better choice than smoking out my neighbors.

I'm curious as to what is so bad about it? I've torn down a modern engine that was seafoamed a couple of times in its 200k+ life and found no issues. I've used it to clean pistons from an old inline six and the stuff really does eat carbon. It worked better than the carbon remover I purchased.

eagle-co94
04-20-2013, 11:21 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with it as I've also torn down a motor that showed no issues from any type of buildup of broken free carbon, etc.

Not smoking out your neighbors is definitely a good idea!

Shep
04-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Why not ask Josh Bengston if you should be seafoaming your delorean (ie someone who tears down engines on a daily basis)?Of all the things he's told me not to do (fresh rebuild, <25 miles ago), Sea Foam wasn't one of them. He didn't even bring it up in any of the ~10 times I've been there. He has stated that the ethanol in modern gasoline does a number on a gas tank if left in there, so running the engine until it stalls before winter is much better than topping it off, or (best case scenario) finding a gas station that does not use ethanol (which I am not aware exists reasonably close to me). He's said that both Sta-Bil regular and Sta-Bil for ethanol don't prevent it from happening. He also told me to avoid some oil brands, what oil filters to use, when he doesn't like something, he is very blunt about it, and has no reservations. "None the wiser" is not an option for him.

I've had my daily driver mechanic (part of the local BP) tell me fuel injector cleaner was basically pure alcohol and will nearly always do damage in some form to your engine, and that octane booster was hit-or-miss. He even said there's some things in the gas he sells he would rather not be there, but it does have some good things in there (all of which changed long, long after he opened business, way before anyone ever heard of the term "ethanol"). But no mechanic I have ever been to has made any mention of Sea Foam. They're not in the business of "magic fixes" compared to actual verifiable work, but they will certainly make abundantly clear anything that will make you visit them more often than you need to and make their job harder. With everything I have heard about Sea Foam from all walks of life, I am inclined to believe it actually does work. I've never needed to use it, and never will, but there's an abundance of happy customers who swear by it and nothing else. That doesn't happen to products that don't work.

Not smoking out your neighbors is definitely a good idea!Depends on the neighbors. My neighbors had a good laugh at my attempts to fix a blown head gasket on my first car. A huge, huge white cloud reeking of coolant floated across the landscape, and my neighbor came the next day and poked fun at it ;)

LordFly
04-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Not smoking out your neighbors is definitely a good idea!

This is all I can picture :hihi2:

Totally 80s
04-21-2013, 03:40 PM
As long as people are willing to buy seafoam, they will be willing to buy engine flushes, rental car insurance, testosterone vitamins, and timeshares. Why not ask Josh Bengston if you should be seafoaming your delorean (ie someone who tears down engines on a daily basis)?

I think it's foolish not to buy the basic rental car insurance. Your insurance does not cover loss of rental. So if your rental car gets wrecked (EVEN IT IT IS 100 PERCENT NOT YOUR FAULT) The rental company will charge you a daily rate based on how long it takes them to get the car fixed or replaced. So, if it takes a month to get the car fixed and they get $50 a day for the rental, you will receive a bill for 30x$50 = $1500. Most people don't know this, and there isn't a single insurance company on earth that covers rental loss.

Not to mention all the other hassle that can come from fender benders, etc.

DMC5180
04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
This was copied from the Official Seafoam Website.

[Safely helps quiet noisy lifters, helps remove fuel deposits and oil residue, helps smooth rough idle. For Carburetors or Fuel Injected Gasoline Engines – Autos – Trucks – Tractors – Motorcycles – Marine – Small Engines – Industrial Engines Great for Diesel Engines Too!
SEA FOAM Motor Treatment is a petroleum based product that helps clean internal fuel and oil system components. SEA FOAM is an EPA-registered product, and will not harm engine components, seals, gaskets, catalytic converters or oxygen sensors.
SEA FOAM helps liquefy gum and varnish deposits when added to fuels or oils. Mechanics have used Sea Foam for many things over the years including cleaning fuel injectors when using their professional injector cleaning machines also used to clean air induction systems and Throttle Bodies. When Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment to clean Air induction systems and Throttle Bodies the use of an “S” tool attachment is necessary to soak down the Throttle Body. If you do not have an “S” Tool at your disposal Sea Foam Spray (http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray/) should be used. Next a nylon brush is used to clean throttle plates and throttle body housing. This is only a few examples why Sea Foam has been so popular with professional mechanics for over 70 years.
As a fuel system additive, Sea Foam helps, clean carburetor jets, clean passageways, clean fuel injectors, clean deposits, stabilize fuel for up to 2 years, control moisture and adds lubricity to fuel.
As an oil system additive, Sea Foam helps prevent and clean oil residue deposits. ]

wrkey
04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I have used seaform on a variety of vehicles. '92 Geo Metro convertible with 3cyl engine, a Bayliner with I/O MerCruiser 4cyl, '91 Ford Probe GT, 2009 Hummer H3T Alpha and my trusty lawn mower. I have had nothing but positive experiences with it. Motors run better and idle smoother. Vehicles that sit for a period of time react better when restarted (boat, lawn mower). Gas mileage improvement if debateable as I probably drive it difference once I get the Seafoam in there.

Here in Montogery and Harris county we have ethanol in all our gas and I really hate that stuff. This seafoam helps to keep the fuel from breaking down and and prvents the ethonal from bonding the things it shouldn't. I recommend it.

As for damage to an engine, I don' see it. But then again.. I don't put it in the motor oil... just as a fuel additive.

Chris4099
04-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I've used SeaFoam that comes in an aerosol for my D. Just remove the air filter assembly, rev the engine up a little and spray it directly on the air meter plate. As others have noticed, lots of smoke come out both during and after the treatment. I did notice an improvement in idle quality as well. So I assume it did a great job of cleaning out the intake and valves. I'll probably keep doing treatments once every few years to keep things nice and clean.

As for fuel additives, I regularly use Top Tier fuel which is required to have a good level of additives to keep the injectors clean. Still, about once a year, I also run a bottle of Techron through. I've heard injector cleaner can be tough on seals and other parts if left to sit, I like to put the bottle in right before going on a road trip. That way I burn through a tank of gas within the day keeping the exposure to the cleaner to a minimum. So far I'm still on the original injectors and have no running issues at all.

I haven't bothered with any additives to the oil. When I last had my valve covers off, there was no sludge at all. So just regular oil changes seem to be all that's required for me.

Michael
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM

Well that was condescending...:rolleyes:

DMC3165
04-22-2013, 03:29 PM

+1

ccurzio
04-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Agreed. Especially from someone who doesn't actually know anything about seafoam.

justlooking
04-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Agreed. Especially from someone who doesn't actually know anything about seafoam.

Thanks. Luckily i dont need to know anything about Seafoam because the auto manufacturer is kind enough to provide me with a recommended maintenance schedule. I guess if you think you need Seafoam, then you must be smarter? DMC did not specify Seafoam, nor does any other manufacturer. Why? Why should an engine need to be spotlessly clean inside?

Some users of Seafoam seem to think its great to blow smoke, residue, and carbon buildup out of the exhaust. Great. Can you also recommend an additive to clean the newly plugged catalytic converter?

Seafoam is not protected by any patents and freely publishes its ingredients. There is nothing stopping any major auto mfg from adding it to the prescribed routine but they dont. Why?

eagle-co94
04-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Why? Because by the time buildup is actually an issue your car is out of warranty. No manufacturers expect you to keep your car beyond 5-7 years. Just long enough to pay it off and trade it in on another one. Today's car market pushes for you to dump your car after only a few years, and no surprise as a lot of parts are only designed to last so long.

Why would a manufacturer recommend a product that will prolong your return to their showroom to give them more money? It just doesn't make business sense. If Seafoam was a problem, I'm sure it would have died off decades ago.

As for cats...don't run them. I know of cars in California that have passed emissions without functioning cats. My next car will be pre '71 so I'm not worried about one. The joy of living in FL is that there's no emissions checks here either. Now if you're driving down the road and your car is smoking that's different.

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks. Luckily i dont need to know anything about Seafoam because the auto manufacturer is kind enough to provide me with a recommended maintenance schedule. I guess if you think you need Seafoam, then you must be smarter? DMC did not specify Seafoam, nor does any other manufacturer. Why? Why should an engine need to be spotlessly clean inside?

Some users of Seafoam seem to think its great to blow smoke, residue, and carbon buildup out of the exhaust. Great. Can you also recommend an additive to clean the newly plugged catalytic converter?

Seafoam is not protected by any patents and freely publishes its ingredients. There is nothing stopping any major auto mfg from adding it to the prescribed routine but they dont. Why?

I treat these kinds of products like "snake oil", and feel that any owners personal experience or perceived benefit is the result of the placebo effect, or the temporary, superficial masking of a real problem.

However, I've not done copious amounts of research on these types of engine additives, but what little I have done leads me to believe they have little to no effect, and are ultimately pointless. I've read one article that specifically cautioned against them, because the product can loosen litt bits of gunk in the vehicles fuel system an damage injectors.

Now with regards to it being used for preventative maintenance and why don't auto manufactures add it to the maintenence schedule? Maybe because if used properly it really does do what it claims, and does indeed prolong engine life, decreasing the need for corrective maintenance. Thus, the auto manufacturers make less revenue.

Jack
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Seafoam vs Hot Water

Found an interesting discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231898

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Seafoam vs Hot Water

Found an interesting discussion here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231898

Heh heh, that was amusing.

justlooking
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Why? Because by the time buildup is actually an issue your car is out of warranty. No manufacturers expect you to keep your car beyond 5-7 years. Just long enough to pay it off and trade it in on another one. Today's car market pushes for you to dump your car after only a few years, and no surprise as a lot of parts are only designed to last so long.

Why would a manufacturer recommend a product that will prolong your return to their showroom to give them more money? It just doesn't make business sense. If Seafoam was a problem, I'm sure it would have died off decades ago.

As for cats...don't run them. I know of cars in California that have passed emissions without functioning cats. My next car will be pre '71 so I'm not worried about one. The joy of living in FL is that there's no emissions checks here either. Now if you're driving down the road and your car is smoking that's different.

I disagree. Then why would the mfg suggest plugs, air filters, cam belts, brake fluid, oil changes, axle fluid, and coolant? Seafoaming (or equivalent) would easily add revenue to every service which would otherwise be just an oil change. Unless, of course, you believe Seafoam is so magical that its benefit exceeds that of every other item I just mentioned - that it is so beneficial it needs to be left off the list because no new cars will be sold otherwise.

eagle-co94
04-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I disagree. Then why would the mfg suggest plugs, air filters, cam belts, brake fluid, oil changes, axle fluid, and coolant? Seafoaming (or equivalent) would easily add revenue to every service which would otherwise be just an oil change. Unless, of course, you believe Seafoam is so magical that its benefit exceeds that of every other item I just mentioned - that it is so beneficial it needs to be left off the list because no new cars will be sold otherwise.

Who do you think they want to do that? The dealer of course! The plugs on my SS were not to be changed until 100k miles as they were platinum. The other stuff is just regular maintenance. Axle fluid as in diff fluid? Unless there's something wrong in your diff you shouldn't have to change that for a LONG time. That's like my dealer telling me to change my oil at 3k miles...when the manual says 8k.

Some things are needed to keep the car safe & alive past the warranty period. Oil changes, air filters, brake fluid & fluid are all "wear" parts so by not changing them you will damage your car, voiding warranty. Coolant is the same thing because it can start to eat gaskets once it becomes acidic over time...damaging the motor and voiding warranty. For me I just run water and Water Wetter since I'm so far south. Cam belts/timing chains are not a cheap job but if you don't do them and the motor goes you lose a motor and again void the warranty and the dealer loses a customer.

I don't believe Seafoam is magic...which is why I suggested just using water back in post 11.

Kenny_Z
04-23-2013, 11:51 AM
I treat these kinds of products like "snake oil", and feel that any owners personal experience or perceived benefit is the result of the placebo effect, or the temporary, superficial masking of a real problem.

I'm pretty sure the seafoam eating the carbon buildup off my Nova's pistons wasn't a placebo. It was much more effective than the supposed piston cleaner I bought a gallon of. It was a lot cheaper too. I ended up soaking the valves and cleaned the exhaust runners in the heads with it as well.

Michael
04-23-2013, 11:55 AM

LOL...if your engine dislodged enough carbon deposits and blew enough oil to clog up the cat...then a clogged cat is the LEAST of your problems.

We used that stuff on countless cars for YEARS...I repeat YEARS, with no ill effects ever.

thirdmanj
04-23-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the seafoam eating the carbon buildup off my Nova's pistons wasn't a placebo. It was much more effective than the supposed piston cleaner I bought a gallon of. It was a lot cheaper too. I ended up soaking the valves and cleaned the exhaust runners in the heads with it as well.

I'm glad you had a good experience.