PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Hot air on knees at 40+ MPH

Lenny
08-25-2012, 08:57 AM
I went for a drive yesterday. I can feel the AC leaking around the door seal on the by my thigh no problem I can fix that, if i really want. But the problem is I noticed really hot air on my knees. I was thinking it was the blower fan maybe blowing through the heater so I turned off the AC but could still feel the heat.

Next i put the selector on Heater but cold air came out at my feet not where I was feeling the heat.

I then slowed down and the hot breeze wasn't as strong.

I'm thinking it is a combination of the radiator blow back and wind speed blowing the hot air into the cabin.

Now my question, Where is it coming from? It feels like on the left side of car through or from the area of the fender or maybe under the dash

Have any of you felt this before?

I had a Triumph GT6 once and the heat came from a seal of the Transmission cover. I also plugged the radiator hose because the valve leaked and the heater coil got hot. Could it be something like this?

DMCMW Dave
08-25-2012, 09:48 AM
I went for a drive yesterday. I can feel the AC leaking around the door seal on the by my thigh no problem I can fix that, if i really want. But the problem is I noticed really hot air on my knees.?

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/heatairleak.htm

Chris 16409
08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Just did this repair. I checked for the loose foam, and found it had come unglued. For a while, I've noticed heat radiating from the footwell area. Glad Dave posted this, because I wasn't sure why I was "feeling the heat." I used some of that heavy duty Gorilla Tape to secure the foam in place. I'll have to test this fix tomorrow.

sdg3205
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Now and then I'll do a job on the car and think to myself, "Jeez, THIS is officially the worst DeLorean job ever!" only to find another one equally or more offensive.

The two worst jobs for me were:

1 - replacing the fuel filter (sounds easy but it's messy, easy to screw up and cause a fire and made me paranoid for a week!)
2 - removing and replacing the heater core.

While doing #2, I took the time to completely clean out the evaporator box, replace all the "Dum Dum" and re-foam all the vacuum-actuated flaps. It was easily a week of work to tear the inside of the car apart, get the evaporator box out, clean it all up, cut all the foam to size, put it back together, re-install it in the car (shoot me in the face) and reinstall the interior. But ya know what? It works perfectly!

If you've got a leaky heater core like I did, have air moving where it's not supposed to, stinky mouse nests - again like I did, etc etc it's a good winter job and will make VOD rebuilds seem like a walk in the park.

Also a good time to re-dye any pieces (like the binnacle or dash) that has browned over the years since they're all out.

Cheers,

Morpheus
08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Dave, do you have any pics or have you posted a write-up on this job? Further down the line, this will be one of the "to do's" on my restoration.

sdg3205
08-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Dave, do you have any pics or have you posted a write-up on this job? Further down the line, this will be one of the "to do's" on my restoration.

Hey Brandon,

I never completed a "How To" on it. To be honest, if I did I think it would be broad strokes as opposed to every step by step detail, like "Step 1 - remove interior trim pieces" with the assumption that the reader is fully capable of removing each piece of trim. The dash can be tricky.

It's not necessarily hard, its just more easy steps with more swearing, basically just time intensive. I'd be happy to develop something and include materials, some steps and tips if you'd find that handy. I enjoy the write ups.

You are essentially removing almost everything from the centre console forward. I left my stereo and bracket in place, something I probably would not do again.

Here are some pictures (http://www.stevedavegraham.com/display/ShowGallery?moduleId=8600548&galleryId=790586) you could take a look at.

Let me know!

AirmanPika
08-30-2012, 01:42 AM
huh...My car has always had this issue....I just assumed it was a delorean quirk (well I guess it is). Now I can fix it :)

DMCMW Dave
08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
huh...My car has always had this issue....I just assumed it was a delorean quirk (well I guess it is). Now I can fix it :)

With duct tape no less!

jawn101
08-30-2012, 01:02 PM
With duct tape no less!

Duct tape for things that move and shouldn't. WD-40 for things that should move but don't.

FWIW, this duct tape fix is ENORMOUSLY easier to do if you take out the driver's seat and center console. Bonus points if you pull the steering wheel as well but that's very optional. I tried and tried to reach the hole in the back of my box for days without taking the console out and couldn't get the tape in there without it folding back, sticking to itself, sticking to the wrong thing, etc. Removing the console takes about a half hour and I was able to get the tape in place with no issue without the console blocking access.