PDA

View Full Version : Ac Squeal

DniveK
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Took the D out today for a drive, put around 15 miles on it with the AC running the whole time in the Texas sun. Air blew ice cold and there were no issues. I parked the car in the driveway and took the rest of the day clay baring and waxing my daily driver in the garage. After six hours and a few beers I proceeded to move my daily driver back to the driveway and pull my Delorean back into the garage, when the AC suddenly started squealing like a startled pig. There was a slight burned belt oder, and I immediatley shut down the AC and opened the back up to check it out. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary but the smell of burned belt still permeated the air. I turned the Ac back on and watched, but it seemed the run fine. Listening closely and could still hear a slight squeak near the AC but it subsided after a few minutes. I ran the car and AC for another 10 minutes with no issues. I checked the belt and it was snug with no slop. This is the second year I've had this AC system, completely rebuilt with all new parts from Specialtauto.

Any insight into what my be or has happened here? I hope the commpressor is not ready to fail or possibly the clutch?

dmc6960
08-28-2012, 05:02 PM
It was probably one of the idler bearings seizing up. Based off of what you described it appears to have unstuck itself, but its probably on its way out now. If the compressor pulley locked up on you I'm sure the belt would have been completely toasted in short order.

DMCVegas
08-29-2012, 01:38 AM
:werd:

Been there, done that, when I had the same problem. Luckily it's an easy fix with a socket and some needle nose pliers to replace those two idler bearings.