PDA

View Full Version : AC Issues

stevedmc
08-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you for posting. I may take you up on a few things. My air conditioning stopped working recently and I'm once again at a loss as to the root cause.

Does the clutch on your compressor engage? Run a wire directly from it to 12v and see what happens.

nullset
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Thank you for posting. I may take you up on a few things. My air conditioning stopped working recently and I'm once again at a loss as to the root cause.

I'm happy to look at your A/C for you too, once dragoncon is over. My evacuate machine is on the fritz though.

What was the last time your A/C was serviced? What did you do to it?

R12 or R134a? Mods, feel free to split this to a different thread.

--buddy

ccurzio
08-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Does the clutch on your compressor engage? Run a wire directly from it to 12v and see what happens.

The compressor does engage as expected.

I'm happy to look at your A/C for you too, once dragoncon is over. My evacuate machine is on the fritz though.

What was the last time your A/C was serviced? What did you do to it?

R12 or R134a? Mods, feel free to split this to a different thread.

--buddy

I've split it to a new thread.

Ron is also going to help me out at some point. The issue is that sometimes my AC blows cool and other times it blows ambient. And it never blows cold.

The last time it was serviced was when Ron helped me get it working and we converted the system to R134a.

nullset
08-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Did you fully evacuate it, with a deep draw vacuum pump? Did you replace the accumulator?

You may have a slow leak as well. I can look at the pressures next time you're in/near atlanta.

--buddy

ccurzio
08-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Did you fully evacuate it, with a deep draw vacuum pump? Did you replace the accumulator?

You may have a slow leak as well. I can look at the pressures next time you're in/near atlanta.

--buddy

That's exactly what we did, although the accumulator was not replaced. I DO have a new one not installed.

nullset
08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
That's exactly what we did, although the accumulator was not replaced. I DO have a new one not installed.

It's highly recommended to replace the accumulator any time you've opened the system.

It wouldn't hurt to replace it, but it is kind of a pain to remove and replace.

Your most likely problem, though, is a leak. Are your hoses original or have they been replaced?

--buddy

Ron
08-29-2012, 11:38 AM
The history of his system is basically unknown. This and time restrictions is why we didn't put the accumulator on...give the system a chance to prove itself. I agree it is probably a leak. We just need to put a set of gages on it and see what's going on...

Do you have a GOOD sniffer? Mine started squealing all the time as if the sensitivity is stuck all the way up ant the other one was a used POS when I got it.

ccurzio
08-29-2012, 11:39 AM
It's highly recommended to replace the accumulator any time you've opened the system.

It wouldn't hurt to replace it, but it is kind of a pain to remove and replace.

Your most likely problem, though, is a leak. Are your hoses original or have they been replaced?

--buddy

Ron also believes is a leak, although when we evacuated the system the whole thing held pressure really well.

As far as I know, the hoses are all original.

The history of his system is basically unknown.
Good way of putting it. The oil-free compressor really threw us.

Ron
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah LOL...I looked in there and thought WTH??? no oil but pristine! ...A very wise choice not to charge it and try it earlier.

[How do we always happen to do a split and/or reply out of sync...or I guess I should say, in sync. lol]