PDA

View Full Version : General Does anyone recommend a specific speaker to upgrade the factory original Craig ones?

aadcderm
08-30-2012, 07:03 PM
I am under the understanding that a pair of 3 1/2" speakers with flush tweeters and a pair of 4"x10" speakers will replace the front and rear, respectively, speakers originally provided for the Delorean. Does anyone have a specific make and model they recommend? Most of the articles I found were old and the speakers they recommended no longer available. Thank you

Kenny_Z
08-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Check out this thread. I read it and picked out the Infinity speakers. They work well for what I wanted. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?572-Choices-of-speakers

AirmanPika
08-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Yea I'm using infinity speakers also in my car using the factory mount points. Obviously the rears are not the standard oval but they fit with a bit of creativity (I forget what I did, but they went in fine). As I mentioned in the thread linked by Kenny, I used Infinity Kappa 52.9i's in the rear and 32.9cf's in the front

DMCVegas
08-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Seconded on the Infinitys. Ran them for years in my car and they're beyond awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTait
08-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Seconded on the Infinitys. Ran them for years in my car and they're beyond awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take the time to upgrade the wiring as well - #12 or #14.

Any yeah, the infinitys sound really good.

jawn101
08-31-2012, 11:38 AM
+1 for the Infinity speaker setup. Remarkable sound. The stock staging in the car really isn't even that bad! Plus the 329cf are some of the only ones that will mount properly in the front location without needing weird modifications, stud extenders, etc. That's a tight spot.

David T
08-31-2012, 10:54 PM
You're right about the fact that speakers are discontinued after a while and old replacement models are no longer available. The way most of us have done it is to go to a place like Crutchfield.com where they specialize in doing this and know what is available and how to make it fit. You should replace the wiring and you have to be careful with the front speakers, the cones can't protrude or you have to make up spacers. You have to be real careful removing the rear quarter trim or it will rip. Use a heat gun on low to soften up the glue and slowly and carefully peel it loose after you remove the door seals. The original radios only had 8 watts per channel so if you are using the original radio you do not need to handle a lot of power. The original speaker cones have turned to dust and are not worth trying to repair. They were cheap pieces of junk anyway even way back then! Some have added a sub-woofer in the rear package shelf and an amp in the cubby. You can also put it under the seat. If you upgrade the radio the DIN adapter is the way to go.
David Teitelbaum

AirmanPika
08-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I still haven't figured out the right balance but here's what I did for the sub. Bit too punchy at present. I really just want it to augment the speakers since they are too small to have decent low freq's. That's why I didn't bother with a fancy amp since I knew I wouldn't be pushing it hard. I prolly should actually try and find an amp smaller in footprint so it doesn't eat up as much of the rear storage shelf.

sdg3205
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I still haven't figured out the right balance but here's what I did for the sub. Bit too punchy at present. I really just want it to augment the speakers since they are too small to have decent low freq's. That's why I didn't bother with a fancy amp since I knew I wouldn't be pushing it hard. I prolly should actually try and find an amp smaller in footprint so it doesn't eat up as much of the rear storage shelf.

Just in case you were interested and haven't seen the thread, this is what I did (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?572-Choices-of-speakers/page9&highlight=pioneer) and it works great. In fact, the whole thread answers all of the questions posed here, even my method for balancing sub levels and tuning your stereo.

If you really want to get picky, use your iPhone! download 2 apps- the tone generator app and the spl meter app. Run pink noise at 85db, isolate each speaker using balance and fade to ensure they are all operating properly. You can also simply use 3 chunks of insulation to cover up each speaker that isn't being tested. Centre your iPhone in the middle. Measure each front from the same spot, looking for 85db with the mic pointed straight to the windshield. For the rears, turn the mic 90 degrees, towards each door, not towards each speaker. It's kinda sloppy given we can't adjust individual channel gain with the craig, but you can definitely ensure one isn't 10bd low or something like that. Plus, it's kinda fun.

AirmanPika
09-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Just in case you were interested and haven't seen the thread, this is what I did (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?572-Choices-of-speakers/page9&highlight=pioneer) and it works great. In fact, the whole thread answers all of the questions posed here, even my method for balancing sub levels and tuning your stereo.

If you really want to get picky, use your iPhone! download 2 apps- the tone generator app and the spl meter app. Run pink noise at 85db, isolate each speaker using balance and fade to ensure they are all operating properly. You can also simply use 3 chunks of insulation to cover up each speaker that isn't being tested. Centre your iPhone in the middle. Measure each front from the same spot, looking for 85db with the mic pointed straight to the windshield. For the rears, turn the mic 90 degrees, towards each door, not towards each speaker. It's kinda sloppy given we can't adjust individual channel gain with the craig, but you can definitely ensure one isn't 10bd low or something like that. Plus, it's kinda fun.

Thanks I'll try that. I especially like how you did the amp. I might have to do exactly that. I have a Pioneer DEH-P7000BT in my car so I should be able to adjust a bit better than those with a Craig.