PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Frame rust question...

rothsean
09-01-2012, 12:27 AM
I have the front tires off. I inspected the area that I can now see. Looking at the frame, going towards the centerline of the car, there is a cave area in the frame where the steering rods go through. The outside of the frame has been repaired by DMCH and has new epoxy/gray paint. The inside of the cave area is a rust mess. Should I be concerned and should I fix it?

Any recommendations on how to fix it properly?

Thanks,

Sean

DMC3165
09-01-2012, 06:56 AM
IMHO.......

Any visible rust will become a problem in the future. As for a time frame its anybodys guess. It really depends on how much you use it and in what type of weather and so on and so forth. If the area you are talking about is where the steering rack runs through the chassis it's a ginormus pain to work on, and almost immpossible while eveything is together. Post some pics and get a few other opinions. Based on the info you provided I think it most likely you will have to remove the rack to work on the affected area. It shouldn't be nessacary to drop the frame from ther car but that area sucks to work on no matter how you look at it. The front section on our cars is built like crap and is prone to stress cracks and the surface rusting won't help the situation. If you get evrything out or can acess all of the affected area, use a wire wheel on a drill or a small dremmel tool. Get a couple of small hand held wire brushes too. You may not be able to reach every spot you need to in there and that will require some creative thinking on your part. Get some grey POR-15 and cover every possible inch. It can be sprayed on but that requires a thinner so try to brush it on if you can. If you're really concerned call DMCH and ask their opinion on it. But definetly put up a few pics so everyone can get a better idea what you have going on.