PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Cover

Elvis
09-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a dashboard cover for a grey interior car.

Can somebody recommend one ?

I found these:

http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mats/60A4600A0A0A2676055.aspx
but how do they look in reality ?
color ?
fabric ?
perforated or not ?
other sources ?

Your experinece is vey welcome.

Thanks,
Elvis & 6548

Spittybug
09-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Where are you Elvis? It's going to make a difference in my opinion. I can't remember the brand I bought to cover my black dash, but it was a good price and fit well. I'll see if I can dig up my info. HOWEVER, despite being gray and reflecting a lot of the Texas heat out of the windshield, it was still HOT as HELL underneath it. The black dash in these cars is the most heat absorbing material known to mankind I think. Seriously, no way can you keep your hand on it for more than a couple of seconds.

I got myself some of the foil backed air bubble insulation that you can buy at Lowes in the plumbing section. I trimmed some pieces to the same shape as my dash cover and used 3M spray adhesive to attach it to the underside. BIG difference. I suppose just a thin metal radiant barrier sheet would work as well to block that type of heat.

Radiation - The culprit. The absorption of electromagnetic radiation. The metal barrier sheet reflects a lot of this whereas the dash cover just lets it through to the dash. Or get modern glass ($$).
Convection - Heat transfer via air movement. Not really applicable here.
Conduction - Cover is in contact with dash, so you get some of this depending on how much the cover itself absorbs. Barrier sheet won't help, but air bubbles in insulation does.

Elvis
09-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Southern Germany, not even similar to Texas here :-)
(only 11°C today !)

but still I'd like to keep my dash without cracks. I expect a regular cover will
help a lot, especially while driving to Delorean gatherings in the summer.

Thanks,
Elvis

fnzen
09-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Elvis,

I will sell you mine from DMC CA its got the glove box cut out and fits the binnacle perfectly I used it for 2 months until I had my dash replaced $50

john 05141
09-03-2012, 05:24 AM
I am not a fan of dash covers, but than again, we are not even near Texas temperatures. I do like the looks of this material however, but velcro???? No way this will hold up as nice as it does in the picture. I'd try to glue it on also, but I think this is no easy job. The DeLorean does have a flat dash, so thatis easy, but the binnacle....

I have no need for this (lucky me) but I do like this material for the roof tough. But I doubt it will take the corners right in the headliner.

John

Elvis
09-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Nothing will be glued on my dashboard !
I want to protect it from sun because it is not broken yet.

I'm sure I can find a nice and simple way to hold it on the dashboard.

My sun protector for the winshield holds very nicely with two magnets
that stick on the sunshades. But while driving that's no option :nono:

:approve:

SIMid
09-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I got mine from this mob:

http://www.dashdesigns.com/

I got a suede like finish than the door mat carpet finish.

I too, not a fan of dash mats, but having an excellent binnacle and dash, I don't want to cause any damage from the strong Australian sun during summer.

Elvis
09-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks.

how does it look like ?
does it stay on the dash ?
which color did you choose and how does it match to the grey interior ?

well - do you think it's possible to post 1-2 pics with it in the car ?

Thanks a lot,
Elvis

SIMid
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Mine's got the black interior so I can't comment on the colour. Finish is quite nice.

My mat came with velcro tabs to be fixed on the dash, but the curve of the binnacle keeps the driver's side on and on the passegner side, I used a safety pin and wedged it down on the passenger side between the dash and knee pad so it wont side off or move around. I didn't want to see the ugly velco tabs when I don't use the dash mat during winter.

Mike C.
09-07-2012, 09:19 PM
I ordered the Dash Designs one also. The fit was much better than most for the D's. All cut outs were in the appropriate place. Definitely a nice alternative to a cooking dash board.

Elvis
10-07-2012, 09:56 AM
OK I finally have the grey and peforated one from:
http://www.autoanything.com/dash-mats/60A4600A0A0A2676055.aspx

Price is OK, it looks nice, fits well.
But it does not fit perfectly ( at the A-pillar it's missing up to an inch per side)
and - DO NOT BUY THE PERFORATED ONE !
It is visible on the windscreend - thousands of little black dots are reflected on the
windscreen and disturb the view a bit. Not too bad, but if you can prevent it...

Color is brighter than the Delorean's grey.

Uncovered edge and reflections:

Danny Botkin showed me their version which is a thicker fabric and for sure better
in the Californian sun than this light one. But for the german sun this one is OK.

Elvis & 6548

Dangermouse
10-10-2012, 07:59 AM
I ordered mine from

http://www.dashmat.com/index.html

I can't find the exact receipt but I am fairly sure that it was the velour one (it actually looks much better than it sounds). I don't remember them having the suede one at the time. I have a nasty cracked binnacle and dash and I bought it to hide the ugliness rather than protect it. I was very surprised at how well it fits. The binnacle holds the LH side on well but the RH side will slide down an inch or two occasionally. It came with velcro as well, which I suppose I should actually use.

http://www.global-accessories.com/products/index.phtml?prod_id=velourmat&cust_id=dashmat&SYSTEM=storelink&SESSIONID=notpassed&ACTION=

Cost me $51 inc shipping. Still looks like new after 4 years.

SIMid
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
The binnacle holds the LH side on well but the RH side will slide down an inch or two occasionally. It came with velcro as well, which I suppose I should actually use.

Try my trick of using a safety pin, feed it through the edge of the mat on the passenger side and jam it between the dash and knee pad. Works for me. :)