PDA

View Full Version : General Let's help the mods and rid ourselves of trollers - here's how

Spittybug
09-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll leave it up to the mods to move this thread if I've put it in the wrong spot.

Fellow members, most of us know that we have a few among us that like to troll, antagonize or simple be juvenile with respect to their posts. We are not unique in this aspect, most forums have them. There is something about the anonymity of the internet that causes people to act differently than they might in real life. There are two camps on dealing with it; those that wish the moderators to take a firm position and squash them, and those that advocate tolerance of the postings and allowing the individual to audit the own intake of information versus garbage. Both have merit. As a result, the moderators find themselves in the unenviable position of trying to figure out what the community wants and applying it. Consequently, THEY become the focus of peoples' ire since they can't appease everyone. By definition, the moderators job is to police and adjudicate on the forum content.

I have a proposed solution that requires minimal effort by all.

Every post on every thread has a little triangular icon with an exclamation mark within it, located in the lower left part of the post. This is to "report a post". When clicked, it gives you a dialogue box to enter any comment you may have. The mods (if like all other forums) get these as high priority items and can then act on them if appropriate.

Here's what I propose; rather than putting the burden of "weighing the offense" on the mods, why don't we get more active in self policing our valuable community? Let's commit to a rule that says if a post gets 5 independent "reports" it gets deleted. If the same member gets 10 "reports" within a month, then they are suspended for a month. If it happens again, they get tossed. I picked 5 and 10 somewhat arbitrarily, but they are close in my opinion.

Why do this? We live in a society where free speech is allowed, but also one where majority rules. As there is obviously the right to include or exclude whoever the owner of this site (Tamir, right?) wishes, he can lay down any rules that he likes. His silence on the subject infers that he has delegated such decisions to the moderators. We can give these "overseers" some good guidelines to use or we can live with their sole judgement. Which do you prefer, democracy or totalitarianism? There's no denying that the owner of the site will have last say, but hey, that's capitalism! If you don't like it, leave.

So, that's my proposal and I hope the community sees merit it and supports it. Don't forget to use the "report a post" icon!

thirdmanj
09-02-2012, 08:41 PM
At the risk of sounding "trollish" ,the last part of that post puts you firmly in the "political" discussion category.

REPORT HIM!!!!

SamHill
09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
REPORT HIM!!!!

Done!

Post flagged for insensitve, sanctimonious preachy tone.

Dangermouse
09-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Mmmm, I think we all saw that coming....

thirdmanj
09-02-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd hope so. What else did he think was gonna come of it? If you don't feed the trolls, they won't bother as much. Mr. Spitty here dangled a prime cut... Couldn't resist :biggrin: and he DID get preachy and political. Very indicative of "troll" behavior I might add.

Dangermouse
09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I actually agree with the overlying a of what Owen is trying to do.

The unfortunate side effect initially would be creating more work for the mods.

Rather than feed the trolls in the thread we should ignore them. If you we having a conversation with someone in real life and a third party chimes in with a troll comment, would you take the time to argue, or would you roll your eyes and carry on with the original conversation?

SamHill
09-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I actually agree with the overlying a of what Owen is trying to do.

The unfortunate side effect initially would be creating more work for the mods.

Rather than feed the trolls in the thread we should ignore them. If you we having a conversation with someone in real life and a third party chimes in with a troll comment, would you take the time to argue, or would you roll your eyes and carry on with the original conversation?

In other words, you disagree with what Owen is trying to do. Ignoring that which you do not like would be altogether different from reporting posts that you find personally offensive.

Dangermouse
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Damn phone keyboard!

I meant to type "overlying idea" in that I agree with his suggestion about members policing the problem ourselves. I just think that using the 'report' icon for generic trolling rather than "offensive" comments may overload our mods.

But perhaps the mods could comment on that better. If they are OK with it, then "report" away.

thirdmanj
09-02-2012, 09:59 PM
I have no doubt I'm concidered I "troll" by Owen. But I'm not so petty as to report posts I find offensive. Thats akin to tattling you know? I don't want to be a tattle tale.

Tamir A.
09-03-2012, 12:00 AM
Let's please table this for now while the mods discuss.

Thanks.
Tamir