PDA

View Full Version : Car Sketch WIP

Michael
09-03-2012, 12:01 AM
I fired up the Cintiq again tonight in an effort to get the hang of this. I am still grasping the concept of sketching on a computer screen. It's wierd trying to teach myself to work this way, rather than pencil/paper where you use transparancy for your highlights. In CG it's the opposite(sometimes). Anyway, here is tonight's WIP. I will probably finish her up when I have a few more hours to kill. I have actually sketched out several car designs in the past months, but none that I cared to finish since I made several mistakes that I could have easily not made had I only knew what I was doing.

Nick774
09-03-2012, 02:20 AM
You should come up with a DMC2 concept car, that would be an interesting task to practice and cool to see

Michael
09-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I woke up with a headache and since it was labor day I just decided to take off today. I usually work these days as most everyone is off too and it makes for a nice quiet day and I can get a lot done, but today I just said WTH. So it gave me a chance to finish up my little project. Attached is the finished product and my final sketch I started with last night. (The DMC-2 will come soon. It's a good design with a better story behind it).

Michael
09-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Oooops, I just realized I forgot to correct a minor mistake, so here is the final rendering:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12881&d=1346699166

SoCalDMC12
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Very nice! Must be really fun working on the Cintiq.

I've been playing around with my Wacom Bamboo... I like it, but it's tough to draw on one surface and look at another. May have to bite the bullet and get a Cintiq as well.

Michael
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you, yes it is so much fun working on it and discovering new techniques. Things that used to take hours are mere seconds now. I have also done a lot of things for my friends and other groups with it such as t-shirt designs for my RC club. I knew I wouldn't be able to work on a blind tablet. I'm a very visual guy and I need to see my perspective as I work. I got mine on ebay second hand fo about half price. I wasn't sure about the smaller 12" model at first, but I do like it. If I did this on a more professional level I would probably opt for the 21" or even the 24" model, but the smaller size has some advantages too. I put mine on a Ergotron monitor arm and it's money well spent. The tablet is always out of the way and right where you want it at a moments notice when you need to use it. love my Cintiq!!

Spittybug
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Michael is a very talented guy, never mind generous.

I put out a request on these forums for someone to draw up a sketch for me. I've started an LLC here in Texas and needed a logo for my product. Michael shot me a few different designs and after a couple of iterations he sent one that really captured what I was looking for. I asked him how much he wanted for the rights to it and he told me nothing! Class act. As soon as my product is commercialized, he's first in line for a free copy!

Despite only knowing him through these forums, I can only say good things about Michael and his work. I fully recommend anyone with any artistic needs contact him.

SIMid
09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Looks great!

I've got SketchPro on my iPad, kinda hard to draw with yr finger.

Michael
09-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you Owen, I'm glad you liked it and really, it was my pleasure.

Looks great! I've got SketchPro on my iPad, kinda hard to draw with yr finger.
I use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro too. There was a lot of software to choose from, but Sketchbook really does everything the title implies. It's perfect for putting ideas to 2d without spending a ton of money for Adobe. I was just looking at my first sketch I did on my Cintiq,(the 1989 DeLorean concept) and boy was it rough! Looked almost cartoonish. I have done several cars since but with every design I did I learned a little something, mostly how to work with layers and what all is possible.

Here is my next sketch, and how this came to be is almost like the DeLorean DMC-2 sketch that's still in my head.... I Dreamed it.

I was dreaming that I was at a track day and Audi(I don't know why Audi) appeared with this specially built track day car(kind of like the KTM XBow). I of course saw it and was in line to drive it. I couldn't wait, I was next! Then of course in dreams something always goes wrong. The guy in front of me crashed it and Audi got mad and left. Ohhh well, thats the jist of the dream, here is what it looked like. I remember it was a single seat car and it had open wheels and that really stuck in my head. I refined the dream car down somewhat and imagined if a purpose built track car had a body "melted" on top of the chassis. Then everything that didn't absolutely have to be there was cut away what would you have left?

It will need much more refining but here is the basic sketch:

SIMid
09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
You're getting me inspired again. I should fire the app up and give it another shot.

Michael
09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Todays offerings:

Michael
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
A little more refinement after dinner:

OK Just decided it wasn't wild enough so I thinking of doing something edgy on the front1293112930

Michael
09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Finished:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12938&d=1346869061

And here is the first sketch that it was based off of...and the sketch is based off of my dream:

Michael
09-05-2012, 03:13 PM
And one last one to finish out the thread, just had to do it:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12941&d=1346872343

Dangermouse
09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
👏👍

You and awildermide should gtg and get HotWheels to make it.

I'd buy that for a dollar

Michael
09-06-2012, 06:06 PM


You and awildermide should gtg and get HotWheels to make it.

I'd buy that for a dollar

Hmmmmm, now that's an idea!!

dmc6960
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Looks great! Curious how the door opens. It's not a gullwing and that body moulding could make a standard door ackward. Jackknife doors?

Michael
09-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks great! Curious how the door opens. It's not a gullwing and that body moulding could make a standard door ackward. Jackknife doors?

That's not my problem :wink: That's for the engineers to work out. I just draw pictures. Actually I designed it as a single seat track car so door and entry access is not optimal, but I guess they could open like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/1996_McLaren_F1_open.jpg