PDA

View Full Version : LED Window Switches - DMC Midwest

Tamir A.
09-04-2012, 02:08 AM
So I recently had my window motors replaced by DMC Midwest. No longer have the loud struggling old motors, the new ones are whisper quiet and very smooth. While upgrading those, I figured it would be nice to upgrade the switches to the LED backlit ones. So far I'm very happy with them. It brings a certain modern element to the car and the LED color matches perfectly to the rest of the green lighting in the cockpit. :thumbup2:

Michael
09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
That's on my to do list. The paint is starting to wear off my switches anyway.

PS: I always enjoy seeing the original Craig unit still in use. It just looks like it belongs there.

Jonathan
09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
I'll just add to what Tamir said about them being a nice upgrade. I did my switches only and did not change anything about the motors. At times in the past years, the windows wouldn't always go up or down on demand or would hesitate, or maybe you would have to press the button a few times to make it go. After I put the new switches in, my windows go up and down exactly when I need them too. So in my case, it was more to do with the switches being faulty than the motors. And a super easy install to put the pair in to find out. I recommend them.

thirdmanj
09-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Yup, these are a fantastic upgrade! It is well worth the money. Whats really great about them is that the LED function is optional. You ever get tired of it, take the little metal clip out and presto, no more light. I hadn't realized how far gone my switches were until I installed these.

cybercusp
09-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Great pics. Thanks for posting. I had them installed by DMCF just on a hunch that they would look good. I wonder what the incandescent switches look like.

Domi
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
That's an easy upgrade I'd to do someday :)

SIMid
09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Bought my pair of switches last year, still haven't installed them. I think I was worried about breaking something pulling out the old ones. I heard you go through the ashtray hole and push them out, than to try and pull them from the front?

Dangermouse
09-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Me likely.

Add to cart!

MML
09-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I could do with these, mine are always misbehaving.

Tillsy
09-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Bought my pair of switches last year, still haven't installed them. I think I was worried about breaking something pulling out the old ones. I heard you go through the ashtray hole and push them out, than to try and pull them from the front?

I've taken mine out a few times and merely pulled them from the front. Of course being 30 years old that's not to say they originally should have come out so easily?

SIMid
09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
I've taken mine out a few times and merely pulled them from the front. Of course being 30 years old that's not to say they originally should have come out so easily?

Cool, thanks for that! Looks like I will have to dig them up and install them. Mine too seems to hesitate occasionally on the driver's side.

Jonathan
09-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Simon,

Here's a couple pictures of underneath. You can see the plastic tabs on the sides of the replacement switches. If you are lifting those up and out of the console, about the only thing to do would be to pry in a little bit with a flat head screwdriver those tabs to allow them to lift out easier. If they already slop around in there, it won't be an issue. The white connector underneath is simple and only fits on the switch one way. You can actually do it from above without removing the console, but I had mine out for other reasons. The close up connector is the defrost one in the middle, which apparently got a little melty in the past so don't mind that. The whole install is quite simple actually.

NOTE: just to clarify, you install the switches from the topside of the console, not the way this picture shows. I only had them connected with the console removed to just ensure they were working prior to putting everything back together.

SIMid
09-05-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks Jonathan! I'll give it a shot over the weekend. :)

awildermode
09-05-2012, 12:20 AM
There is one potential problem with the new window switches. Because of the added light element, the switches are longer and could hit the bottom of the console (underbody).

This is not a design flaw of the switches, since I seem to be the only one with this complaint. It could well be that my underbody is designed differently (textured pontoon). Anyways, my solution was to cut two holes for the switch and connector to sit properly. I want to stress that my problems with them are most likely from my underbody and nothing to do with the switches. Now, everything is fine.

Click here for a long winded write up of my issue (http://www.awildermode.com/2012/08/fixing-window-switch-part-iii.html) (feel free to skip).

Also, I have the incandescent version of the switch and decided to go LED. Instead of purchasing a new pair of switches, mine work fine, I did the mod myself. LED version was not available when I got my switches about two years ago.

Click here for that winded write up. (http://www.awildermode.com/2012/09/led-ing-my-delorean-window-switches.html)(feel free to skip this, too)

These are great switches, and work well. Highly recommended for anyone looking for upgrade.

Oh, and Dave and Julee are awesome!

SIMid
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
There is one potential problem with the new window switches. Because of the added light element, the switches are longer and could hit the bottom of the console (underbody).

This is not a design flaw of the switches, since I seem to be the only one with this complaint. It could well be that my underbody is designed differently (textured pontoon). Anyways, my solution was to cut two holes for the switch and connector to sit properly. I want to stress that my problems with them are most likely from my underbody and nothing to do with the switches. Now, everything is fine.

Click here for a long winded write up of my issue (http://www.awildermode.com/2012/08/fixing-window-switch-part-iii.html) (feel free to skip).

Also, I have the incandescent version of the switch and decided to go LED. Instead of purchasing a new pair of switches, mine work fine, I did the mod myself. LED version was not available when I got my switches about two years ago.

Click here for that winded write up. (http://www.awildermode.com/2012/09/led-ing-my-delorean-window-switches.html)(feel free to skip this, too)

These are great switches, and work well. Highly recommended for anyone looking for upgrade.

Oh, and Dave and Julee are awesome!

Plug and play ..... er, no.

Wilder, I tried to install them yesterday and yes, I have the same problem too!! Stupid me, was forcing them to go in and not realising that they were too long. I pulled out the ashtray and also the dummy switch and could see the white connector jamming against the tunnel. Without the white connector, perfect. So looks like I will have to get a rotary tool and do some modifications. Oh, I do have the textured pontoon.

Unless someone can tell me that I'm doing something wrong?

Bitsyncmaster
09-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Most people just put some washers under the panel so it lifts it enough. I made up a cable to solder on the switches and put new connectors on that cable and the car harness.

SIMid
09-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Most people just put some washers under the panel so it lifts it enough.

Must be a few washers as from memory, it was maybe 4mm gap to make up for the switch to be flush. My electrical soldering is not the best, may have to do some cutting instead.

DeLorean03
09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
It would be really nice if Houston would start making more of these....

I know I want a set of them. My understanding is these are on back order. I'll be calling them tomorrow to confirm as I would really like a set.

Tillsy
09-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I tried to install them yesterday and yes, I have the same problem too!!

If you pull out one of your old plugs and stick in a tape measure, what is the available distance? Wonder how that compares between us all?

Bitsyncmaster
09-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Must be a few washers as from memory, it was maybe 4mm gap to make up for the switch to be flush. My electrical soldering is not the best, may have to do some cutting instead.

I think you only have to cut at the front side where the connector hits. I would guess you can pull your dummy switch cap and look inside as to where it hits.

Also if you cut the metal jumper a little bit with a longer slot (I just remove the burrs), you can seat the jumper against the switch. I just use an xacto knife holding the jumper with some pliers.

DMCH James
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
It would be really nice if Houston would start making more of these....

I know I want a set of them. My understanding is these are on back order. I'll be calling them tomorrow to confirm as I would really like a set.

These will be back in stock later this week, I believe. Another 50 are being shipped to us today.

I know this has been covered elsewhere, but fit problems are usually the result of a "sagging" center console armrest cover. It's made from a very thin piece of metal covered with the soft foam and then textured on top. Years of people resting on it getting in and out of the car and simply driving causes them to sag and makes everything not fit so great. Here in the shop we remove all the switches and ashtray, and then place a small block of wood in between the underbody and the fiberboard and the console, and then another small piece between the fiberboard of the console and the underside of the console armrest cover. This gives is adequate support and enough "lift" to allow the switches to seat completely.

James

DeLorean03
09-10-2012, 02:32 PM
These will be back in stock later this week, I believe. Another 50 are being shipped to us today.

Awesome - I definitely want a pair of them. They look really good!

cybercusp
09-10-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a pair of these installed. They look great and really add a lot to the overall look of the interior at night.

SIMid
09-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I think you only have to cut at the front side where the connector hits. I would guess you can pull your dummy switch cap and look inside as to where it hits.

That's what I did and I started to cut the FB. But now I did not take into account the wiring that comes back up, so I have to enlarge the hole even more. Just bought a small handsaw to make it easier to get to this morning.

john 05141
09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
Got the switches from DMCEU and the blue LEDs from Dave.
Becasue my dashlights are blue, and my clock is also, the blue switches are a perfect match. Indeed gives this more modern looks to the car. Very happy with those. The switches work perfectlt, so do the lights and I have those for over a year now. the first picture the lights and clock were still green, so you see a difference.

Jan

Tillsy
09-14-2012, 06:29 AM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13193&d=1347609121

Does that far right switch engage the hover conversion system?

cybercusp
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I was guessing doors launcher?

DeLorean03
09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Called DMCH yesterday, they had JUST come in like 10 minutes before I called. Got my pair on the way!

Domi
09-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Really nice Jan!

1batt4u
09-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Becasue my dashlights are blue, and my clock is also, the blue switches are a perfect match. Indeed gives this more modern looks to the car. Very happy with those. The switches work perfectlt, so do the lights and I have those for over a year now. the first picture the lights and clock were still green, so you see a difference.

Jan

I love the Blue lights on your car!! Thats what I am going to do!!

john 05141
09-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Thanks,

the sticker on the right was part of a set I bought in the UK a few years ago. It was meant to shut of the doorlights if you want to keep the doors open at a show. I have led's (blue, what do ya think) in the doors so I do not need it but I did not want that switch alone with no decal.... so it is a dummy to remind you the doors go up :yesss:
the set also had decals to put on the doors, with a small sigh to indicate where to open the door. How many of you had passengers asking how to open the door to get out?

Jan

DeLorean03
10-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Just installed mine - well worth the $$$. Had to do some slight modifications to make them fit, and I need to do what the others did in terms of cutting out a small piece of the pontoon body to get them 100% perfect, but for now - they look awesome!

Old ones

New LED ones

OOO...Ahhhh!

Switches with the rest of the LED console

Awesome

cybercusp
10-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Is it me or do these LED switches get rather warm?

Bitsyncmaster
10-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Is it me or do these LED switches get rather warm?

Each switch draws 1.7 ma of current for the LEDs. You will not feel any heat from that current. Now with the original incandescent bulbs drawing 43 ma at 13.5 volts you will feel heat. If your driving in the sun, the switches get warm even with no lights. My car has them wired to the light circuit so mine are only on with the car lights on.

SIMid
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Just installed mine - well worth the $$$. Had to do some slight modifications to make them fit, and I need to do what the others did in terms of cutting out a small piece of the pontoon body to get them 100% perfect, but for now - they look awesome!

Yours are sitting just like mine before cutting the pontoon to allow them sit in deep enough. Just careful with the ciggie assembly as I must had moved the wires and now, I'm blowing fuses every now and then when I use the windows.

SIMid
10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
This is getting frustrating.

I pulled the ciggie lighter out, reconnected the 2 connections as I was blowing fuses, stuffed it back in. Passenger window works well, but the driver's side, up is fine, down, turns off the radio till I let go of the button (does not blow a fuse). This ciggie lighter is really doing my head in.

DeLorean03
10-12-2012, 04:32 AM
What happens if you pull your ciggie lighter out of the center console - leave its two connections on - and then roll your driver's side window down and up?

SIMid
10-14-2012, 06:05 PM
What happens if you pull your ciggie lighter out of the center console - leave its two connections on - and then roll your driver's side window down and up?

You are going to love this one.....

Rewired the ciggie lighter, just to ensure that I'm not making contact with any other part of the car.

Passenger side, works fine.

Driver's side. Going, up, fine. Going down (car not running), radio switches off (does not blow fuse), but the fuel pump primes!! With car running, window going down, fuses blow.

But, swapped the switches over and as it seems, the LED switch that was on the driver's side is faulty. Blows the fuses straight away as soon as I try to use the window in the passenger side.

So I've thrown back on one of the old window swiches. All works well.

Absolutely bizzare! Even thought that I might had been in an Italian car at one stage.

Anyone heard of this happening before?

I've contacted Julee @ DMCMW, she's going to send me a replacement. :)

DMCSPRINT
05-17-2015, 09:26 PM

Jan

Hello do you know if anyone still sells blue or red led that can be used on the DMCH illuminated power window switches? Thanks

Bitsyncmaster
05-18-2015, 05:12 AM
Hello do you know if anyone still sells blue or red led that can be used on the DMCH illuminated power window switches? Thanks

I have blue LED boards. Have not tried red LEDs yet. Red will not work through the AC panel decal (only where the filter is red) but the window switches are clear (no filter). If you don't think you can solder the boards into the switches, I can install them in your switches for you.

DMCSPRINT
05-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Hello thank you for the reply. Blue would be great. I would prefer to have them soldered by you if you could as I want to make sure it's done properly. How would I pay you and where would I send the switches? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DL4567
11-30-2015, 09:05 PM
I just bought a pair of the LED window switches from DMCH, and while the length wasn't too much of a problem for me (they barely fit), my luck has brought another problem entirely. Something I haven't seen anyone else mention. The LEDs are very uneven between the 2 switches.

It's hard to tell in the photo (as it always is when taking pictures of lights) but the driver's side LED is significantly dimmer and paler than the passenger side. You can actually see the difference better in the photo by looking at the glow around the switches rather than the arrows.

I know I can just remove the jumpers to disable the LEDs, but then I would be wasting the $20 extra I spent on the LED switches. Are the non-LED ones from DMCH the same longer length as these? Do they have incandescent lights or no lights at all? I'd consider exchanging these out if the others are shorter, or would like to exchange the dim one for a switch of full LED brightness.

http://i.imgur.com/0MDaDwm.jpg

Michael
11-30-2015, 09:15 PM
LED's are usually pretty close in brightness but I have seen them with bad diodes which may not live up to the Mcd rating. I suppose it's possible a wrong or bad resister put in place. I would say to replace the LED or resistor after testing, but that's going too far when I'm sure DMCH would just swap it out. In fact Why don't you contact DMCH? That would have been my first (and last) move on the matter.

I have them and I really like them, nice mod and un intrusive.

DMCMW Dave
11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
I just bought a pair of the LED window switches from DMCH, and while the length wasn't too much of a problem for me (they barely fit), my luck has brought another problem entirely. Something I haven't seen anyone else mention. The LEDs are very uneven between the 2 switches.
]

I've never seen that. It's a defect. Contact the seller and exchange them. Since you can't tell which is "wrong" get both swapped.

Bitsyncmaster
12-01-2015, 03:59 AM
The lighted switches are the same length with incandescent or LED. Pop the switch cover off and see if you got an incandescent one by accident. All the LEDs are tested after the circuit board is soldered into the switch. So if it's and LED board, a part must have gone bad.

DL4567
12-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Looks like Dave M was right. The dimmer, paler switch appears to be an incandescent. I did notice when receiving the order that "LED" was only written on one of the switches, but didn't think much of it since they were in the same bag and had the same "AZ" signed on them. Turns out that was accurate, as the one without LED written on it is the incandescent.

Welp, I have the best luck. Back to DMCH they go!

http://i.imgur.com/gETkzxu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RXFQtlO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ymUgtVf.jpg

PJ Grady Inc.
12-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Looks like Dave M was right. The dimmer, paler switch appears to be an incandescent. I did notice when receiving the order that "LED" was only written on one of the switches, but didn't think much of it since they were in the same bag and had the same "AZ" signed on them. Turns out that was accurate, as the one without LED written on it is the incandescent.

Welp, I have the best luck. Back to DMCH they go!

http://i.imgur.com/gETkzxu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RXFQtlO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ymUgtVf.jpg

Maybe they should get their parts packer a set of reading glass's?
BTW our new "Mattaligner" would solve the fit issue and keep you from ever accidentally engaging the switch's due to its small built in armrest.
Rob

dmcnorway
12-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Can the "Mattaligner" be ordered at your online shop now Rob?

Maybe they should get their parts packer a set of reading glass's?
BTW our new "Mattaligner" would solve the fit issue and keep you from ever accidentally engaging the switch's due to its small built in armrest.
Rob

PJ Grady Inc.
12-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Can the "Mattaligner" be ordered at your online shop now Rob?

Sorry not yet as I've changed computers, servers, and even switched from an I-phone to a Galaxy all in the last few weeks and had setup problems. When my IT guy gets back from a week long road trip next week I'll have the material ready for him to upload to the cart. Thanking everyone in advance for their patience!
Rob

Domi
05-22-2017, 04:15 PM
I bought a pair of these windows switches, back in 2015
Unfortunately, just installed them a few days ago.
One of them doesn't light up and blown fuse number eleven.
Does this happen to someone else?

Bitsyncmaster
05-22-2017, 04:43 PM
I bought a pair of these windows switches, back in 2015
Unfortunately, just installed them a few days ago.
One of them doesn't light up and blown fuse number eleven.
Does this happen to someone else?

Were these the LED version or the incandescent?

Domi
05-22-2017, 05:14 PM
The LED version
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10365-VIN-16951-from-France/page24

Bitsyncmaster
05-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Pop the switch cap off the bad switch and try to get a photo as close as you can looking down on the LED board. What I'm looking for is the two metal side posts that connect to the LED board. If those are not held in the groves on the black plastic they may touch the switch metal down below the LED board.

Domi
05-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Thank you for your answers.
Here are a few pictures, hope this helps.

Bitsyncmaster
05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
I think it looks like one side is not aligned in the slot on the side of the switch. Just move that metal bar a little and you should hear it click when it snaps in the slot. But otherwise it looks good. Are you sure your jumper was installed on the correct side?

Domi
05-23-2017, 02:25 PM
Are you sure your jumper was installed on the correct side?

Yes it is.
Even if I'm trying to connect the wires here, the leds doesn't light up. Looks like there is a short circuit inside the switch :(
On the other hand, if I remove the jumper, then the led light up

Bitsyncmaster
05-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Yes it is.
Even if I'm trying to connect the wires here, the leds doesn't light up. Looks like there is a short circuit inside the switch :(
On the other hand, if I remove the jumper, then the led light up

Yes, looks like the switch inside has a short.

Domi
05-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Weird because, when the jumper isn't deep at all, then it works ???

Bitsyncmaster
05-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Weird because, when the jumper isn't deep at all, then it works ???

It must be a pin is getting pushed in. Maybe after the jumper is installed, you can pull the pins up a little but then when you push the connector on it may push it back in.

Domi
05-23-2017, 04:42 PM
I wonder how to disassemble the switch to see how it goes inside??

Bitsyncmaster
05-23-2017, 05:05 PM
I wonder how to disassemble the switch to see how it goes inside??

You would have to cut the two wires holding the LED board in. Then you can pull a little on the tabs to release the two white nylon slides. From there you can see most of the switch works but you can not remove much more. Each pin holds the switch parts inside.

I could probably fix it for you but shipping back and forth would probably cost $30.

Domi
05-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice ;)

Domi
06-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Just to give you an update, DMCH replaced my switch :)
Now, I have two working unit, pretty happy!

Nuclearbacon
10-08-2017, 04:40 PM
These are on backorder currently... just as my stock switches give it up!

DMCH James
10-08-2017, 10:47 PM
These are on backorder currently... just as my stock switches give it up!

Yes, the supplier made a slight change to the switch that necessitated new components for the LED conversion to be produced. Hopefully in a few more weeks the LED versions will be back in stock.

Nuclearbacon
10-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Thanks James! I'll be placing my order as soon as they're back!