PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

Reaper1
05-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, I know this is a rebuild, but I figured I'd re-introduce myself! LOL

My name is Chris Grimm. I just graduated from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University with my BS in Aerospace Engineering.

I've been interested in and have loved the DeLorean for a long time. I JUST got my first opportunity to experience driving one of these incredible machines in March. I'm totally in love! It impressed me in so many ways that I now tell people that whatever impressions they might have about the car, are probably wrong and the ONLY way to truly be able to appreciate them is to drive one.

Currently I'm heavily involved in the Turbo-Chrysler crowd, and have been since 1996. My current daily driver is a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z that I've been steadily modifying for the past 5 years. I'm more interested in overall vehicle performance, so I have it set-up for road course and auto-cross type activities. The best drag racing time I've been able to get out of it is 14.0@100. It weighs 3115#'s with me in it (race scale confirmed) and the best power I've gotten out of it on the dyno is 225hp and 291ftlb torque. I currently am working on a Chrysler Maserati TC DOHC engine (1 of 501 produced) to put in the car. My goal is to make 400hp at the wheels and have that power around 7500-7800rpm. This is a lofty and expensive goal, but not out of reach.

Anyhow, I'm excited to see this community back and look forward to being a part of it!

Karin
05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
To see if this is right place to blab about me again.

Hey there, my name is Karin. I am still trying to find myself a darn job so I can work my darn way to a good life and hopefully my dream car, which you all know what that would be. Yeah, if the DeLorean wasn't my dream car, I probably wouldn't be here but regardless of that, this is a very friendly community. Seems for the short time being, I am the only girl that has returned.

You can expect what made me love our beloved stainless steel sea gull (why did I come up with that). Until several years ago, I had no idea they still existed nor I knew the name. Being a little kid watching BTTF, a DeLorean could've sounded like gibberish to me.

I don't play with makeup. I play with games and if I didn't have the habit of letting my nails grow long, cars. I am always fascinated by older cars mainly. My dad is the old car whiz and likes to tell me about their years and models although my uncle is probably better at that since he owns a project Chevy Belair. 8) My family is against my getting my dream car but my dream, my decision.

CuriousBystander
05-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Former lurker here, no D, no old nic.

A fan of JZD personally, and someone who appreciates the car from a distance :D

Renee_1632
05-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Guess I might as well, since I changed my name.

I was LadyL391 on the old forum, the clueless moron who knew nothing about cars (oh, THAT'S the engine! cool!) so decided to buy a DeLorean and teach herself. So far, so...kinda good. My name's Renee, I'm stationed in SoCal with the Marines, and I own VIN 01632.

Also, Karin, hurry up and get your DeLorean, dammit. We need more female owners!

Jamie
05-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi, my name is Jamie and I'm an 18 year old Canadian Delorean enthusiast. I only came to know of the DMC-12 through the Back To The Future trilogy (surprise surprise), but it was love at first site. I immediately started looking into the story behind the car itself, and not just Doc Brown's time machine, and I became even more interested in this beautiful machine. I plan to own one myself someday, and once I do it will be one of the happiest days of my life.

Karin
05-25-2011, 02:39 AM
Also, Karin, hurry up and get your DeLorean, dammit. We need more female owners!

Lol, tell that to the economy and employment. I just wish finding a job was so easy or it just came to me and yes I have posted resumes as many places as I can. I don't include Craigslist because I have read the job descriptions with caps and/or grammer, spelling, sentence errors. I prefer professional job applications.

Better yet, I could've gone to that fifth grader show when it was still around because I know I could make easy money there. About 4 out of 5 of the questions I know the answer to. Only subjects I have no confidence in would be history and social studies. It's hard to remember dates or politic stuff cuz it's so boring. Only wars seem to be interesting.

Dracula
05-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Ah, it's good to be back. I missed this forum and had spent a lot of time building up a reputation on the old site.

For those who remember me, I'm a car addict with two DeLoreans and have owned three in my lifetime.

I'm always willing to give people rides in my car, so long as they're respectful and I hope to see more young owners in the future.

CuriousBystander
05-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Chad, are you the guy whose turbo setup was mistaken for a catalytic converter?

Now that was funny :D

Dracula
05-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Chad, are you the guy whose turbo setup was mistaken for a catalytic converter?

Now that was funny :D

Yep; that was me, back when I first purchased 6982; oh, how I miss that car.

dmc6960
05-25-2011, 12:16 PM
Eh, might as well give a briefer since I think there are a bunch of new people here...

Name is Jim Reeve. Live in Minnesota. Owned 06960 since 2000, had 27,000 miles. Car now has somewhere between 110,000 and 120,000 miles on it. I've driven it across country to 3 distant DCS's (Memphis '02, Pigeon Forge '04, Lexington '10), 1 close DCS (Chicago '06), and two other DeLorean events (DMCH Open House '01, DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Fall Foliage Tour '02). Car is typically a daily driver during the summertime.

Had an engine failure in '08 (which is why I missed DCS Gettysburg '08 ). Engine was dumping coolant into the oil pan through a cylinder liner base gasket. Rebuilt the engine in '09 (had a huge thread about this, hopefully it returns), while building it up as a home-built Stage II.5 at the same time. Engine has high compression pistons (DMCEu), milled heads (to further increase compression), ported heads, fast cams (DMCEu), fully balanced rotating assembly (safely get higher RPMs), lightened flywheel, DMC's Stage I all-stainless exhaust, and a "modified" bit of the exhaust. In '10 I went a step further, and removed the K-Jet system and installed a home-built Megasquirt EFI system using an intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and TB from a Z7U PRV (from Europe). Also in '10 the stock suspension got a major overhaul with polyurethane bushing all around, Spax shocks, and DCUK front lowering springs.

I have done nearly all service on the car myself (or with assistance of others) in the time I've owned it. Only exception was a transmission inspection done by Dave Swingle while doing the clutch. I'm always willing to assist other owners on their cars, and have even been known from time to time to drive or fly across country to do so. I've seriously pondered opening up my own DeLorean service facility, but have never done so.

It seems I'm always working on or tweaking something on the car. In the past I've installed a temp/compass display into the headliner, added some switches and buttons, to make a fully integrated overhead console. Rebuilt the entire A/C system with 100% new components except evaporator. I'm also the only one who has managed to bend a Toby TAB. Topped off the car at 125mph back with the stock engine/suspension setup. Have yet to test it out after the rebuild. Two upcoming projects on my own car are making heated AND cooled seats using new custom-ordered all grey perforated seat covers from DMC. I'm also working to change the center console armrest to look more like the early Pilot cars, except in place of an ashtray will be cupholders.

A major project which I'm still just getting started on is a complete replacement of the instrument cluster with new digital stepper-motor driven gauges. It will be LED backlit in a fashion to match the appearance of the A/C panel yet retain an entirely stock appearance to the original cluster. Will have a 140mph speedometer, an electronic pickup for the speedometer to replace the angle drive, and all gauges will be digitally controlled with much more precision than the original analog gauges. Possible value-adds might be compatibility with a universal fuel level sender, and using the LAMBDA light as an additional overheat indicator. This is a project which I'm hoping to be able to produce in numbers and resell to the rest of the DeLorean community.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Farrar
05-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I may as well re-introduce myself, too. My first name is pronounced "fairer" and I purchased #2613 back in November of 2007. #2613 is also known as "Sparky the AutoCarb" because it is a carburetor-equipped (among other modifications) automatic whose first great adventure involved an electrical fire in the engine compartment.

Sparky lives outside in Southeast Louisiana and is in "daily driver" condition, but doesn't have a/c at the moment due to a leak at the evaporator so I'm letting it sit as the weather heats up.

I look forward to meeting you at DCS 2012 in Orlando. Look for the guy who isn't as old as he sounds and is uncomfortable with crowds. :P

Farrar

Dracula
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
I look forward to meeting you at DCS 2012 in Orlando.

Same here; the only question for me is which car to bring.

Look for the guy who isn't as old as he sounds and is uncomfortable with crowds. :P

Farrar

Doesn't this describe half of us? Granted, I'll be the guy in the ridiculous outfit.

Mike C.
05-25-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it's a GREAT idea to re-introduce ourselves to everyone!

My name is Mike, born and raised in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Started the whole DeLorean thing when i was about 8 after seeing a neighbor's friend's car. It's amazing how much you learn and re-learn with these cars.

I was the 23rd person to join DMCTalk when it was part of Tamir's old forum from Entermyworld.com waaaaay waaaaay back.

I bought 16336 from a member of DMCTalk back in 09 and have been enjoying the car since then.

I know there are other forums out there, but honestly this one has always been home. I used to sit around and download every bit of info I could get about these cars from all over the place, and when this site grew, it just always seemed to be the primary forum I would visit. The people on this site are what make it special.

When Talk went down, it was a very strange feeling because you never know how much you visit something until you stop doing it! I have met some AMAZING people through DMCTalk, and no matter what, my dedication to friends on this site is what I enjoy.

I am moving to North Carolina this January and look forward to meeting even more new people that i've only had the pleasure of talking to online. Should be quite an adventure!

Dangermouse
05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Well, I’ll trot out my story also

My name is Dermot and I was born and raised in Dunmurry, N Ireland. My first Delorean experience was in May 1981, waiting at the bus stop in the morning for the bus to school, I was regularly passed by a car transporter loaded with these futuristic silver machines headed to the docks en route to their lucky American owners. The seed was planted that I would like to own one, one day. Somehow BTTF passed me by on its first release, so my desire to own one has no movie based roots. In fact I only saw the first two movies for the first time last year.

Moved to the States in the ‘90s and am now bi-lingual in both Queens English and American English. (e.g. tie-rod-ends = track-rod-ends)

Got 2743 in 2008 after the PO got tired of it (I think) and left it parked under a tree. It’s a black/auto that has spent too much time outside in the Georgia sun. I passed it every evening on the way home, and I could hear it calling to me. Tracked the owner down and worked out a deal. Only then did I discover this forum and the list of things to look for when buying a D. I was actually shocked how much help was out there. Have been an active, some might say obsessive, participant ever since.

1batt4u
05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Glad to see the forum is back again!! ;) Sucks we had to re-register and lost all the info we had!! :(

Kukem
05-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Guess I will do this too! My name is Korey and I am from New Brunswick, Canada. I've been a fan of the DeLorean since I was a kid and mistakened one for a "Silver Bricklin". When I saw Back to the Future, that sealed the deal. I was going to own one someday. At the present moment I do not have a DeLorean but am working on purchasing one in the next few weeks! I have been lurking the forums for almost 8 months now but was registered for about 4 before the Great Crash of Ought 11! I didn't know much about cars when I started here, but with the help of other members I have learned an aweful lot. I hope to be participating more if my purchase works out well!

1Mcfly4u
05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Well since everyones introducing themselves again I will jump on the bandwagon. My name is Chuck and I am from Richmond, Virginia. I currently own 2 and 2/3rds Deloreans.

I have Delorean 2808, she came to me in January of 2008, probably not my best idea to buy one sight unseen but hindsight is 20/20. She currently slumbers half disassembled anxiously awaiting to be put back together.

The next Delorean is 6921.. the infamous Fast and Furious Delorean. I've only muddled with her a bit so she isn't changed much from all of the pictures floating about of her.

1/3rd of a Delorean comes from all the parts I ripped out of some poor D I found down in a pick a parts JY in South Carolina, it's really just a bunch of panels and fascia's.

I am currently taking some engine and transmission classes in college so I have a better understanding of my cars because honestly those two things baffle the hell out of me. Don't get me wrong if its belts , alternators, plugs stuff like that I can do it, I'm more interested in the insides and how it all works. And I have missed DMCTalk ALOT!

Welcome back everyone!

Roman Legion
05-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I am Roman Legion, the same Roman Legion from the old site.. If you want to know more about me.. Oh well..

mnoeltne
06-01-2011, 12:32 AM
My name is Mark, and my wife and I have been DeLorean owners since 1999. Real Life has been interfering with our enjoyment of the car for a few years now, but I'm hoping to clear up some fuel injection issues this summer and get back to driving the car instead of trying to walk around it in our garage.

We have VIN 6820 which is still pretty well stock and very low mileage at this point. That will probably change. I have no plans to make it a daily driver, but I'm not really into garage queens either.

We've attended a DOA event in St. Louis way back when, the DMC-Houston Open House in 2001 when they were planning on moving to the new location, but were delayed by weather, and finally, the DCS-West event in Las Vegas in 2009. We had the car at the first two, but the fuel injection problem cropped up two days before we were due to leave for Las Vegas, so we came to it DeLorean-less.

Karin
06-01-2011, 02:49 PM
*Puts down a large table*

*Puts several different foods on the table: chips, cookies, punch, maybe a beer keg*

This is to all of us newbies. You all enjoy it and hope you enjoy the stay.

DMC3165
06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Well i'll throw my hat in the ring here as well.

Hello all. My name is Chris Piazza. I refer to myself as the DeLorean owner by Default. Without going into a whole long drawn out story. I'll just say I re-acquired my car in march 2010 through a series of bizzare events after selling it nine years earlier. For me aside from the day my 2 kids were born this was the happiest day of my life. Not just Because I got another D, or a nice clean one, or a really cheap one. I got all of these and the fact that it was my old car with only 900 additional miles on it since I last saw it, Made it almost as if it really were a time machine that came back to me a decade later. 3165 really is a special car with an interesting history of how I got it originally, where it was before that, where it went afterwards, and only to come right back to me again. I hope to have it forever now. With any luck I'd like to see it passed down like a family heirloom. But if there's one thing this experience has thought me, its you really never know what's going to happen next. :)

Chris Burns
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Hello,:wave:

I'm Jammer 96 (Chris is my real name). I have been a fan of Deloreans since my friend in WV introduced me to his way back in 93. After that I didn't see a Delorean again until 2006 at the Amelia Concours car show. I met a local owner Cecil L who does his own mechanical work on his Delorean and taught me some valuable info.

In late 2008 I became a member of the original DMC Talk and began talking to owners. I met another owner Ed in 2009 and gave me my 1st Delorean ride! I was very impressed and wanted the Delorean even more as time went on. I have also driven 3 Deloreans and was a really happy guy every time I drove one.

Money has been real tight for me in the last few years, but hopefully soon I'll be able to buy one. Until then I'll just keep on learning about them!8)

louielouie2000
06-07-2011, 12:51 PM
My name is Louie (obviously), I'll be 29 a month from today, and I've been DeLorean obsessed for more than 2/3 of my life. I started saving for a DeLorean when I was 11 years old. I joined the DML in '99, started hanging out with local owners shortly thereafter, and bought my first DeLorean (VIN 10115) in February of 2001 when I was 18. About 2 years later, I was hit by a drunk driver and the first DeLorean was totaled. Bought DeLorean #2 (VIN 5252) quickly thereafter. I kept 5252 for a few years until I began to realize how burned out I was on spending every last penny and minute of spare time I had on DeLoreans. So I sold 5252, and have lamented that decision ever since. I drift in and out of the community, but always seem to come back. I will indeed own more DeLoreans in the future, but the the timing just hasn't been right for lightning to strike a 3rd time (yet!).

Grover
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
My name is Steve Cosgrove. Username is taken from other standard messageboards I belong to and am using it here to avoid confusion (for myself). The name refers to the band Goo Goo Dolls of which you can see I am a big fan of.

I was always interested in the car when I found out it was a REAL car, and not a movie car. My interested spiked full-throttle towards a purchase when I was in college and had the chance to sit in a PJ Grady restored car in Milford, PA at a car show (wish I remembered the vin or car owner name, if it is anyone on here let me know!).

My story starts with trying to purchase Vin 5188 in 2007. Unable to title it due to the seller trying to jump titles, I got my money back and started the search again. Not wanting to go through the hassle again, I decided to go check out a car that Ken Koncelik was selling. I flew out to Ohio and purchased Vin 1494 in early 2008, picking the car up in Gettysburg, PA in early March 2008. Since then I have had the common DeLorean problems as well as early vin headaches. I am a supporter of upgrades that do not drastically change any of the characteristics of the car (mostly appearance-wise towards out-of-place modifications), and post about them from time to time here (such as the custom alternator I had made with the back case being a heat sink after going through 3 different alternators).

Bitsyncmaster
06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Never really introduced myself on the old forum so guess it's time. David McKeen is my real name. I've been working with telemetry for almost 30 years and hence BITSYNCMASTER is my user name. A bit sync is used to receive data from aircraft, missiles and spacecraft and filter noise (many types of noise on that signal) and provide a clock with the cleaned up data for further processing. I have a patent for my bit sync design.

My interest in the Delorean started when they first were announced. I was almost 30 at the time and said one day I would own one. Well family expenses and time delayed that ownership until my kids got out of collage. Bought one on Ebay, had a co-worker drive me up to northern NJ, test drove it around the block, paid cash and made the 6 hour drive home that night. I did not know anything about the car. Could not even open the engine cover or turn on the headlights.

That was 5 years ago and still my passion for this car never fades.

uhhair
06-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I should post this so that whenever I say the word "We", people don't start to wonder.

I'm Matt, and my twin brother is Alex. We co-own #2681, which we purchased about a year ago from some car collector in NJ. Yes, it's red, and yes, we bought it that way (if I had a dime for every time I've had to say that, I could probably buy a value meal by now). Yes, we both post under this account since we own the car together, and it's just easier since everyone is going to continue to be unable to distinguish us in person anyways.

Alex is currently the secretary of the DMA, and I have a second love for all things DSM and Ford SHO's also.

We're going to be taking our car from red to stainless this winter, and we'll most likely start some sort of detailed blog that will no doubt be the highlight of everyone's day if they follow it. Trust me on this one!