PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Getting ready to get new shocks...what kind?

Doogie
09-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi gang, well, 3589 has about 300 miles on her since she was brought out of a 25 year sleep, and it's time to put new shocks on her. I HATE the look she has going for her now, which is the rear is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches lower than the front. So low I have to pull up on the body to get a jack underneath her. I can only imagine a Previous owner did the whole suspension lowering thing, but I hate it and want to fix it. Not to mention I can hear things rubbing when going over really big bumps. I can see the where the drive axles rub the splash shields, so it's time to fix it.

I'm curious what people have used to replace their springs/shocks? (I'm looking for recommendations) I'm not about performance, I'm about ride quality if that makes a difference. I just saw the post about the KW Coilover suspension kit from Germany (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5107-KW-Coilover-Suspension-Kit) but it's out of my price range...

I was always thinking of going the SPAX route, what's the general consensus on these?

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/suspension/1-performance-shock-set.html

Thanks,

Doogie

Bitsyncmaster
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
All the rear shocks have adjustable height so it's all about price and ride that you have to decide.

Mark D
09-10-2012, 03:32 PM
I ordered a new set of shocks a while back and decided to go with the SPAX setup from DMCH (ordered from DMCMW). The ride height is adjustable on the rear shock using the threaded collar to mount the lower spring seat. There is also a knob for adjusting the shock damping.

You may want to post a few pics of your car so we have a better idea of what you are dealing with...

If you have a completely stock suspension the front of the car will be somewhat nose high. The front ride height was changed last minute on the production cars vs. the early proto/pilot cars. Opinions vary as to why, but that's a different discussion. To fix the high front suspension you'll need a set of lowering springs. Search the board for the available options.

If your suspension has been modified by the PO as you suggested then we'll need more info. Sometimes people heated up springs with a torch, other people cut springs. Some swapped the front springs to the rear, and then cut the rear springs and put them up front. A few pics would be very helpful. Chances are though that your 30+ year old shocks are in need of replacement so it's a question if shocks will resolve your problem, or if you're looking at shocks + springs.

Doogie
09-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the Previous Previous Owner did to the car (I know the Previous owner. They only drove it 180 miles after they got it, then parked it for 25 years starting in 1985. Remember, they were going to be worth "Billions!" :goatee: )

The Previous Previous owner did 'something' to the car to change the ride height. I cannot get a floor jack under the rear without lifting up on the rear wheelwell. When compared to other cars (I know, every car is different, but still) it seems to sit about 1" or more lower in the rear than others. I have some pics attached showing my car in the rear sitting noticeably lower than ones next to it. My goal is to raise it up to a satis-"factory" level. I know a lot of people like the lowered look, but not me. Not sure if the front was lowered, but it seems like it was. I can leave the front alone, but i want the rear back up. The way it sits now constantly reminds me of a busted rear spring 1974 Chevy Nova going down the road! (no offense to the Chevy Nova fans out there! :lol:"

Mark D
09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Picture 5 of 7 really shows the difference in your ride height vs the stock ride height in pic 4.

If you're positive that your car has stock rear shocks (which are non ajustable) then the rear was most likely lowered one of three ways:

1. Rear springs cut
2. Rear springs heated with torch until yielded and compressed
3. Front springs swapped to rear and rear springs cut and swapped to front.

In the case of 1 and 3 you could get SPAX or similar adjustable shocks that will allow you to increase the ride height by raising the lower spring mounting point. You'd still have short springs though and I'm not sure how that would affect handling.

Method 2 can be dangerous so if you notice they have in fact been torched you'll want to replace them. More on the dangers of heating springs here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3148-And-this-is-why-you-don-t-lower-your-car-by-heating-the-springs