PDA

View Full Version : If Top Gear wanted to use your car....

Michael
09-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Let me preface this way. Lets say you have a high performance exotic car and Top Gear wanted to "borrow" it for a segment....would you?

I was watching Top Gear tonight(a older show) and as I watched them absolutely trash some poor guys Lancis Stratos. I wondered why would anyone let them get their hands on their car? J.C. was driving when the wiper blade flipped, so of course instead of removing or fixing it, lets turn it on and scratch the windshield up for the owner.

I'm sure they insure the car against damage or crash, and I'm sure they give you a nice new set of tires after they get done with it, but all the abuse they lay to it for an entire day of shooting powerlsides and popping clutches I can't see why anyone would loan them a cherished Ferrari or other 6 figure plus machine for them to treat like it's a POS rent-a-car.

Dangermouse
09-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Nick Mason from Pink Floyd lets them borrow his Ferraris all the time. But maybe in his case they know if they F one up, they will never see him again.

john 05141
09-11-2012, 04:43 AM
I wondered about that too. I like those shows a lot and have seen a lot of them but you can tell the difference. I think some cars they have bought / sold or got permission from the manufacturer to use one pretty bad. The car will certainly be used to the limits and sold as a rarely used low mileage car in perfect condition....

But sometimes they are very cautious and only make nice images from it. Example; Richrd Hammond driving a blue ferrari Daytona in France to compete a speed boat with cap't Sloom. This car was treated very gently...
Are they broadcasting the exact same shown in the US??? I loved the one with the very small car they actually cruised inside of the BBC building with.

John

Dangermouse
09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
John,

they broadcast the UK version of Top Gear, as well as a new show, also called Top Gear (but generally referred to as Top Gear USA). TG-USA has three American presenters, but does some of the same sorts of car "tests". It's in its second season and is getting better.

Cory W
09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
They have certain "friends of the show", as alluded to above, who let them drive some very precious iron. I'm sure it's understood that any issues = no more access.

Nick Mason's Enzo film was hilarious to me, if only for the fact that Clarkson made a joke of the BBC's "no advertising" policy by constantly showing Mason's recently released book on screen as a blatant plug. (They're so strict on this that the soon to depart Radio 1 morning DJ, Chris Moyles, has a game called "the Generic mp3 player game" instead of mentioning "iPod" or others)

My personal favourite was when Chris Evans (BBC Radio 2 morning DJ and rare Ferrari collector) let James May take out his 1961 250GT California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWMYcPX27s

DMCVegas
09-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Only under 2 conditions:

They in some way kill Quentin Wilson with my car (run him over, draw and quarter him with my tow hooks, etc.).
I get to keep Quentin's skull as a trophy.

Yes, we would have a deal. Clarkson can do a line of coke off a flux capacitor in my car for all I care if he made good on this.

Dangermouse
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
T
Nick Mason's Enzo film was hilarious to me, if only for the fact that Clarkson made a joke of the BBC's "no advertising" policy by constantly showing Mason's recently released book on screen as a blatant plug. (They're so strict on this that the soon to depart Radio 1 morning DJ, Chris Moyles, has a game called "the Generic mp3 player game" instead of mentioning "iPod" or others)

That was very funny.

And in return for this policy, viewers have to sit through programs uninterupted by advert breaks. It's just torture :shock:

Cory W
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
That was very funny.

And in return for this policy, viewers have to sit through programs uninterupted by advert breaks. It's just torture :shock:

Which is why I use TuneIn Pro to record Moyles daily (Friday is going to suck; it's their last day after almost nine years!), listen to the DJ lineup (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1) while I work through the day via online streaming, and am a huge fan of ExPat Shield :)

My British heritage shows through on occasion...

Back on topic, though...I saw Clearkson mention something recently about there being no series this year because of X Factor, or some other competition reality show? Anyone else hear of this?

Ron
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Only under 2 conditions:

They in some way kill Quentin Wilson with my car (run him over, draw and quarter him with my tow hooks, etc.).
I get to keep Quentin's skull as a trophy.

Yes, we would have a deal. Clarkson can do a line of coke off a flux capacitor in my car for all I care if he made good on this.
:lol:

SIMid
09-11-2012, 09:39 PM
JC really trashed that Stratos. One of my childhood dream cars, real or replica, still the same excitement for me.

A bit of a read, sorry.

Here is a letter from TG.

Dear Gerry,

I understand that you have been talking with my colleague, Gavin Whitehead email REDACTED, today about the possibility of featuring one of your Stratos replicas in our forthcoming Lancia film on Top Gear.

I would just like to introduce myself, as I am also working on the project, and have thus far been involved in trying to source some of the Lancias needed for other sequences in the film.

First of all, I would like to thank you for your help with this project: I hear that you haven't had the best experience with the show in the past, and I am grateful that you are willing to give us another shot at working together. I also understand that to get things underway you are going to need details as soon as possible, so I shall try to give you as much info as I can as soon as I receive it.

I believe Gavin has already given you a rough outline of what's intended for the Lancia film itself, and at this stage that rough outline is about as precise as we can be, we are still working on the script as we speak! But to reitterate, it will basically be a look back at Lancia, arguing why they are, or at least were, the greatest car manufacturer. This will likely involve Jeremy and Richard road testing some of the earlier models, with a bit of rallying thrown in for good measure.

Jeremy will probably then acknowledge that Lancia cars of recent years haven't lived up to the same standard, which is why buying a replica is now the best way of getting the old excitement back.

This would be where the replica Stratos comes into play, as we would like to powertest one down at our test track, putting it through its paces with all the usual enthusiastic driving. I know that he is particularly keen on finding a replica wearing the Al Italia livery, with the gold coffin wheels and roof spoiler to really look the part.

Hopefully this outline will give you some reassurance of the tone and direction that the film is going to take: at this stage, the Stratos replica looks to be a bit of a climax.

On the logistics side of things, at the moment we're looking at filming this part of the film on the 17th September, but this is quite likely to change so a bit of leeway would be much appreciated! Furthermore, because the car would be driven hard around the track to get those exciting shots needed for the film, we are quite happy to fully insure the vehicle whilst it's in our care, arrange transportation if necessary, and pay for relevant damage (including tyres), should it occur.

As I say, once I have more concrete details to hand I will keep you posted so that there are no misunderstandings come filming, but if you are able to make some enquiries into finding an Al Italia Stratos in the meantime, I would be very grateful.

Do give me a call if there are any problems; all of my contact details are below.

Thanks again and kind regards,

Nick

Nick Dalton
Researcher

Then ....

As you know I don't often make comments on the forum but I think that the facts as I see them need to be aired. I was there at the top gear studio all day and saw everything outside the studio first hand. Because of my personal view of the programme I refused the offer of participating inside the studio.I was informed after the recording of what was said and shown by my friends from Noble Motorsport who were also there on the day.
We know that Nico volunteered his car at very short notice to the people at Top Gear who has asked for an Alitalia. Nico made it abundantly clear in his many emails to them that the car had been standing and had been rallied over the last few years and was a little 'distressed'. They arranged transportation for the car to be collected from Edinburgh and delivered to the studios where it was filmed with sticking brakes and showing the Stig getting out of the car after it had broken down. But they omitted to report that they had blown the engine. The Stig then leant on the side window and it crashed down, then the wiper blade dropped off. The Stig walked away. Then they transported the car back to Nico in Edinburgh declaring only trouble with the brakes and still not admitting to an engine problem and a broken door where they had pushed it so far back it had broken the check strap and cracked the fibre glass edge!
This is the point where I came in. I was asked by Nico if I could collect the car from him and put a new engine in which the BBC would pay for (after liaising with the BBC they agreed to pay for a new engine and my transportation from Edinburgh to Dunsfold via my workshop). Due to the short timeframe in which I had to work on the car I had to drop everything to collect the car from Edinburgh. I collected and fitted the engine and gearbox kindly donated by Ken from his Rothmans car. In addition Nico also wanted ugrades to the gearbox by fitting a 2 litre diff and an Alfa LSD - I duly obliged. Nico then arranged with Talon to put extra spotlights on the front and fill the empty lamp pod with working spotlights and all associated wiring and respray of stonechips. A new set of wheels was supplied by them with slick racing tyres in an effort to give the car a quick time. On investigating the problem with the brakes - I identified this as a sticky slider and not wanting to risk any further problems, new callipers and pads (the old pads were glazed and overheated to such an extent that they were breaking up) were put on the front and a new master cylinder fitted. I had problems bleeding the brakes and could't understand why I wasn't getting a pedal.Again, time was running out and I had to take the car to Talon for them to fit the front end and wire in the new spotlights. While I was there we all three tried to sort out the prblems with the brake - to no avail. The next day after a sleepless night I took out the pedal assembly and discovered that it was bent out of line and not giving any stroke on the pedal. After re-jigging everything the pedal was restored and we had good working brakes. A late night that night!!
Early start next morning to load the car and all tools for a shake down test at Bruntingthorpe. After a couple of slow bedding-in laps, checking temps and levels, etc (this was the first time that the car had run). The speed was gradually built up and everything seemed OK. My biggest concern was that Nico was unable to keep the car on the track for very long resulting in some spectacular spins across the grass and once into the tyres, narrowly avoiding damage. Owing to Nico's time constraints no adjustments were made to the suspension in any way - setting of shocks, tyre pressures, tracking etc. My concerns had already been raised regarding the fitting of the secondhand shocks from his green car. Later I put this issue in writing but time was spent on getting the car to look spectacular - which it did!
Back at the workshop more work was carried out as instructed to further enhance the appearance of the car by painting in the stonechips and polishing etc. I must admit the car did look brand new.
On Wednesday, the day of filming, I had to be at the studios by 8am which meant leaving home at 4.30am.
After off loading the car on its slick tyres I went through the start procedue with them and handed over the keys. I then went to park up my truck and trailer away from the studio but with a good vantage point of the test track. At 9am the editor came to ask me if I wouldn't mind fitting the 2nd set of wet weather tyres as it was pouring with rain and he said that they wouldn't get far on the slicks - I duly obliged. Then this week's Stig driver came round(Andy something, I think) and got in the car, started the engine revving it's nuts off making it bounce off the rev limiter. To which he remarked "I thought I was pressing the brake" - I explained to him that the brake is the next one along and the clutch the next one after that. Off he shot.
The car flashed down the track and to me it sounded as though it was firing on 5 cylinders but it was going so fast and it was raining so hard it was difficult to tell.
For the next hour and a half I watched through binoculars as they filmed the supposed one power lap. In fact he drives two or three laps and then the camera team move to the next corner and he does two or three more laps and so on. In all he must have done 30+ laps. Then he did the supposed spinning out of control on the power lap. I must admit though, he is a very good driver in the way that he provoked and recovered the spins - or maybe they were just his practice ones. From this you can see how contrived it all was.
My view is that from the outset this was the direction that the programme was going to take. Even if the car had performed spectacularly they would have still slated it.
Nico went in to the studio filming and immediately expressed his anger and concern over the way everything had been handled and portrayed. Including Clarksons comments - a great looking car but a crap build (or words to that effect).
My emails and telephone conversations with the BBC were met with 'media talk' and I was told hat they were going to show the footage and nothing was going to change. Legal action by Gerry and Nico to remove all footage of the car and all references to it have just been sidestepped by the BBC.
What have we come away with? Nico has come away with hurt pride. Gerry has had his most excellent product criticized and future worldwide sales jeopordised and I, although not mentioned by name, everyone knows that I built the car originally and they will associate it's failings with me. However, I have to carry out work as per my customers' instructions over and above my personal preferences.
The script for the show was written even before they had the car and the issue is with the people who design the programme and not the three stooges who front it. It just goes to show that these are no different to any other treacherous bastards in the media. Both Gerry and I are absolutely devastated about the programme and fear the negative knock on effect on our businesses. I am personally well known throughout the industry - as is Gerry.
I have a meeting with one of my prized customers on Wednesday and I have 14 of his cars in my workshops. I am dreading what his thoughts will be about me and my capabilities after he sees the programme as he knows that I built the car.
I believe that in future if a car is offered to any influential media for road testing etc it is only fair that it should first be vetted and approved by the manufacturer before it 'goes out'.
If this does have a negative effect I am sure that there will be 3 suicides in the motor industry very soon.
In my view it is no good whinging about the media if you are going to sit and watch this type of programme every week or indeed go out and buy their books etc - you are just encouraging them. Take my advice and turn the twats off and go and read someone else's quality publication instead.
Chris

I had followed this closely being a massive Lancia fan.

I would not let JC/RH drive any of my cars around their track. Maybe May.

john 05141
09-14-2012, 04:12 AM
I saw my first episode of top Gear USA on discovery channer yesterday. I did not know this is broadcasted here too.
As a Belgian, and knowing the UK is often considered the 51st state of the US, I may say the UK version is much more spontanious and funny. The 3 presentors try too much to imitate Jeremy, Richard and James.

What they did was also done before, feels like a rerun. Funny is that the UK guys make fun of the Americans, the Americans keep saying the European cars are slow. An Aston Martin with V8 was rubbish... come on... I almost switched chanels there.

Jan

Mike C.
09-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Top Gear USA is an abomination. I've watched every horrible episode because I'm a car fan and will watch pretty much any car show on TV.

Start with season 1, im amazed this crappy carbon copy is still on the air. The audience reaction is horribly scripted, the "challenges" are all directly taken off of the UK version, and the hosts just don't gel together. It's all horribly forced and unoriginal. I will give credit where credit is due though. Foust is an amazing driver, and Rutledge definitely knows his car stuff. Ferrera is an out of place monkey. But there is ZERO chemistry.

Trust me, there is only one Top Gear. i honestly didnt think it would make it past a few episodes. The later seasons have NOT been any better. The newest episode shows the 3 guys trying to drive heavy machinery, which i've already seen on Top Gear UK.

Back to the original question, you can pay me enough to do anything...

Michael
09-14-2012, 07:39 AM
No no no, no payment, just the privilege of seeing your car trashed on tv.

Very interesting back story in the Lancia, I'm sure there is more than one story like that about how they treated someone's pride and joy.

tgraham
09-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Strangely enough, I just saw my first episode of Top Gear (USA). It was the one where they bought three vehicles to drive from Oregon to San Francisco without refueling, which was basically a complete rip-off from the real Top Gear where they attempted the same thing from Switzerland to Blackpool. I tried to make it through the entire episode, but after about twenty minutes, I just couldn't stand anymore. It was just onerous to watch. Tanner was the worst.

At least they cancelled The IT Crowd (USA) before botching the remake of another phenomenal TV series.

Travis

Mike C.
09-19-2012, 05:54 AM
At least they cancelled The IT Crowd (USA) before botching the remake of another phenomenal TV series.

Travis

Oh you just said a mouthful!!! I am a HUGE IT Crowd fan, and saw the clips on Youtube of the American version pilot. Wow.... it was painful to watch, considering it a frame by frame knock off of the UK version. I really wish they did one more season though. It was absolutely funny until the very end.