PDA

View Full Version : Electrical What's the best way/tool to clean the tail light sockets?

jmrydholm
06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi everyone,

I had taken apart my back end last week to do a bulb change and get my new MO plates on for this year. While I have everything put back together, I did notice a lot of dirt and junk on the tail light board connectors as well as the sockets they plug into.

I had replaced my D's boards back in 2004 with Grady's when I first bought it. I used some alcohol and q-tips (treated it like a giant Nintendo cartridge) to gently rub off a little corrosion on the boards, but I'd like to give the sockets a good cleaning too. What would be the best way to do this? I don't want to ruin any of the wiring back there...all my lights work so far, minus one reverse bulb which I can easily replace.

Thanks for any advice!
-John
Weston, MO

David T
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Go to a plumbing supply or a big box home center and get the wire brush that is used to clean the inside of copper pipes to solder them. I think it is a 1/2" brush but check. Do NOT try cleaning the socket if there is any electric in it! The rivets are the main problem with the taillight boards. Put tiny nuts and screws inside them and it doesn't hurt to also solder them.
David Teitelbaum

john 05141
06-23-2011, 03:38 AM
I use a dremel a lot. I used a copper wire brush. With scissors, I cut the diameter to fit the socket, en after 3 seconds it is like new. I did this a year ago, still perfect.
I did notice however this dirt was a lot worse in the blinkers up front.

John

Bitsyncmaster
06-23-2011, 05:21 AM
If your talking about connector pins crimped into connector housings the only option to clean those is to dip into Tarnx, then solvent a few times to remove the Tarnx.

jmrydholm
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
This Tarn-x?

http://www.jelmar.com/TarnXbasic.htm

I think I used it on my old coin collection once.

Bitsyncmaster
06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
This Tarn-x?

http://www.jelmar.com/TarnXbasic.htm

I think I used it on my old coin collection once.

Yes, that's the stuff I used on my connectors. Just make sure you rinse it to get it off after about a 30 second dip.

BTW: If you clean old coins you loose value.

jmrydholm
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Will do, thanks for the advice! Oh and the coins were just crappy old pennies. I have a massive jar full of them. :) The good "wheat" ones I keep in pristine shape in a book. The 1943 steel/zinc penny kinda goes with the DeLorean.