PDA

View Full Version : For Sale 1981 grey interior, 5 speed, grooved hood, 50k miles

09-10-2012, 10:38 PM
For sale is VIN#4494, an October, 1981 build. 5-speed with gray interior, hood grooves, no gas flap. The car runs great and is in excellent driving condition. When the previous owner purchased the car it was in good mechanical condition and he did an amazing job restoring the body and interior of the car. I only put a couple thousand miles on the car since I bought it in 7/09 and I just don't have the time to take care of it and drive it as regularly as I should right now so I want her to go to a good home. I've posted the original sellers details on the car's updates. I've also denoted anything that's been done to the car since I've owned it with an *UPDATE* tag. I'll post photos of the cars restoration from the previous owner as well as updated photos from myself. Asking $24,000.

Frame
All visible portions of 4494's frame and it does not have any rust issues.

Engine
The rear main seal leaks a little oil. The clutch in it now was installed at 30K miles.
Fuel Pickup hose and Fuel pump screen replaced 7/09
UDPATE: New Optima red top battery on 4/11
UPDATE: Idle inspected and adjusted by DMC-CA on 7/11
UPDATE: Needed a new Catalytic converter when I brought the car into California to pass smog. Installed by DMC-CA in 7/11.
UPDATE: Oil and filter changed at 50k

Transmission
The 5-speed transmission shifts smoothly. The lubricant was changed at 42K miles.

Exterior
All the stainless panels look good, but some minor dings exist.
Rear fascia was replaced by an NOS one (no longer available).
Front fascia was repainted because NOS ones were no longer available.
Radiator rock guard replaced with a PJ Grady stainless steel one (powercoated black).
Wheels were powdercoated silver.
New windshield

Interior
Binnacle replaced by a very nice used unit. Vinyl is pliable and no cracks exist.
Dash recovered by Ken Koncelik of Delorean Car Show fame.
Seats professionally recovered using DMCH's reproduction leather seat covers.

Heating/Air Conditioning
Heating system works well.
Original R-12 A/C system is in proper working order and blows very cold air.
No issues with fan blower motor or the mode switch.
UPDATE: I blew the A/C Belt on a road trip to the Bay Area. When the belt blew it spun around and banged on the engine cover a bit, slightly denting the vent just above it upwards. I'll post pictures.

Suspension/Steering
Replaced the steering rack at 42K miles.
I completely rebuilt the front suspension using all DMCH parts. The underside of the car is as clean or cleaner than the top.
DMCH's Eibach spring and shock kit installed.

Things the Factory Didn't Get Right, but are corrected on 4494
All side marker light current flowed through the headlight switch and it wasn't really set up to handle that much current. The result of that is many switches have melted over the years. 4494 has a replacement NOS switch installed (no longer available) and the high current circuits have been bypassed (the side marker lights' load flows through a new 40A relay). What this means is 4494's headlight switch sees no high currents and should last the lifetime of the car.
The fusebox was underated for several circuits and it usually melted. 4494 has a modern 20-position fusebox installed that has allowed extra circuits to be installed for the Wings-A-Loft door launchers and other accessories.
The fan-fail module was poorly designed and allowed engine cooling fans to malfunction. Usual result was a overheated and destroyed motor. 4494 has a Fanzilla installed and it works perfectly. 4494's cooling system has been completely replaced and works well.
The door lock module had underated relays and high standby current draw. What this means is that the door locks could stick and lock you in the car until a circuit breaker opened. When the car wasn't in use, the high standby current draw would discharge the battery. The door lock module in 4494 has been upgraded with 40A sealed relays and the standby current is lowered to less than 1 milliamp. No worries about getting locked in 4494 or the module draining the battery!
The roof cage supporting the gullwing doors can become unglued. This results in a raised roof, louvers hitting the roof, and torsion bars hitting door hinges. 4494's roof cage has been properly repaired and will last the lifetime of the car.
Things the Factory Forgot

4494 has remote door launchers, remote lock/unlock, and remote trunk (bonnet) release. These are all the Wings-A-Loft products by DeLorean Parts Northwest (DPNW). Every DeLorean needs these fun, practical upgrades.
Heated, convex mirrors. I have set up these heated mirrors to operate whenever the rear window defrost circuit is engaged.
Cruise Control. This practical upgrade works great and expect to get 25 MPG on the highway.

Modern Upgrades
Center-mounted 3rd brake light.
4494's front side marker lights blink with the turn signals, just as modern cars do.
Door marker lights have been replaced with LED's. I can leave the doors open all day (such as at car shows) and the battery will not be affected.
TOBY TABs installed May '09.

09-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Here a few quick photos.

Chris Burns
09-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Looks nice!

Where is this car located?

09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Yes, its is Brian's car! He was awesome, always a pleasure to deal with. The car is in Long Beach, CA. I work tomorrow, so sometime this weekend I'll get updated pics of the frame and interior and all that. About the only thing wrong with the interior is the drivers side vinyl around the door is cracked and separating from the side. Brian never repaired it because he thought there were no replacements availalbe. When I took the car to DMC-CA they recommended fixing it, so I assume there are replacement sides but I never had the cash to have it fixed.

CesarM
09-14-2012, 07:15 PM
I just so happen to live in the area. Is it ok to come look at that car in person? Sent a pm. :)

09-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Here are some more pics. I posted a picture of the side panel on the drivers side as well as the small upwards dent on the engine cover. I posted what pics I could get of the frame, but I'm going to have to get my buddy over with his ramps to get better ones of the front end. Its too low to get anything good pics of the shield on the front undercarriage. I took the car out today and there were a few minor things rearing their head that I thought I had fixed. Nothing major but I want to make sure I disclose everything.

1. The passenger side door launcher is on the fritz. The driver side and engine cover launchers work every time but the passenger side is iffy. I took it out a few months ago and messed with it and it was working, but it seems to have gone out again.
2. Passenger window switch needs adjusting. It will go up and down and seal properly, but it takes fiddling with the switch a few times before it will move.
3. Radio antenna motor is spotty. Sometimes it will take turning it on/off a few times before it will go up or down once you have it up.

13217132271322613225132241322313222132211322013219 1321813228

john 05141
09-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Now THAT is a clean car!!

Jan

CesarM
10-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Still for sale? I tried PMing, but no response...:(

jkorling
10-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Is this car still for sale? I live in SD but I'm willing to make a weekend road trip to see it in person if that's okay.