PDA

View Full Version : Good strong Glue for bonding fabric/panels and other parts

1batt4u
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi all,

I really want to know what is a good super glue or something to bond things together, like fabric thats coming off, or pieces of panel that broke off, or other stuff. I tried a few but they suck!!

I do not like the glues that turn rock solid then the bonding parts easily come of!! I want the strong stuff that even if you tried pulling it off it will slowly coming off and still be sticky!! I used glues like that long time ago, but don't remember what it was!!

mluder
09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

I really want to know what is a good super glue or something to bond things together, like fabric thats coming off, or pieces of panel that broke off, or other stuff. I tried a few but they suck!!

I do not like the glues that turn rock solid then the bonding parts easily come of!! I want the strong stuff that even if you tried pulling it off it will slowly coming off and still be sticky!! I used glues like that long time ago, but don't remember what it was!!

Different adhesives for different applications.

3M makes an upholstery adhesive in a an spray can that works great. Spray on both surfaces and let it get takcy, then stick em together.

For hard materials like plasitcs etc. you can use a two part epoxy but I prefer polyurethane glue. Gorilla makes one. Its one part cures with moisture and bonds solid. It expands to fill gaps as it dries so there will be some cleanup necessary and don't get it on your hands because it stains.

Cheers
Steve

dmc6960
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
2nd the Urethane.

PL Premium is a urethane-based construction adhesive in the form of a full caulking tube. Get it at a hardware store. Tan color. ~$5

3M Urethane Windshield Adhesive will stick to just about everything as well. Also in full caulking tube. Get at automotive supply store. Black in color. ~$10.

Spittybug
09-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Don't ignore good old contact cement, the stuff of choice for gluing the rubber seals to the body of the car. Just follow the instructions! It's much better when both sides are coated and allowed to dry before mating them. If done while still wet, not so good.

cdrusn
09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I've used valvoline pliogrip to repair many plastic pieces and to bond almost any dissimilar pieces together. I originally used it to bond Corvette panels to the frame on the Corvette. It dries super hard and is the strongest bonding material I have used. It comes in a 2 part tube and instead of buying a special gun to dispense the material I just use a screw driver to push in one side at a time and mix them up together on a piece of cardboard. It comes in different drying times 30 or 60 minutes. Available at most NAPAs and about $25 for a 2 tube setup.

Rich
09-12-2012, 12:35 AM
3M makes an upholstery adhesive in a an spray can that works great. Spray on both surfaces and let it get takcy, then stick em together.

That would be 3M 08088 General Trim Adhesive - Clear. "high strength adhesive for bonding many automotive materials including carpeting, jute pads, kick pads, insulation materials, foams, lightweight headliners (replacement only, not repair) fabrics, plastice and rubber and adequately-supported flexible vinyl to metal and other surfaces" is what's written on the spray can.

It's a contact adhesive. Spray on both surfaces, let it tack up for 1-3 minutes before assembly, press together within 15min.

Does indeed work great. NAPA Auto stores have it.

Mark D
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13163&d=1347472508

haha... couldn't resist.

In all seriousness though, I've used the same 3M adhesive Rich mentioned and it works great.