PDA

View Full Version : General Barrett Jackson time

Jimmyvonviggle
09-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Looking at the car docket, there are two D's for sale, one auto the other stick. Any guesses? When they cross the block I don't know but I will predict they will cut to commercial.

Chris Burns
09-13-2012, 10:17 AM
The 5 speed car will bring in about 16k I predict.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=71.1&aid=465

The automatic car is a REAL beauty!:thumbup2: It should bring in some good money. Even has the NCT Radials. I remember it being for sale last year on Craigslist for 30k.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=95&aid=465

delornut
09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
The 5 speed car will bring in about 16k I predict.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=71.1&aid=465

The automatic car is a REAL beauty!:thumbup2: It should bring in some good money. Even has the NCT Radials. I remember it being for sale last year on Craigslist for 30k.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=95&aid=465

I was at the Scottsdale Barret-Jackson auction this past January and a car similar to the 5 speed now being offered went fo $40,000. I was surprised , maybe shocked is a better word. The free drinks in the bidder's circle must have been really good that day.

Bruce Benson

Shep
09-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Nice D's! VIN 3225 (Auto) in particular should bring in big bucks. Very low miles, obviously runs (required by Barrett-Jackson), dealer stripes, and it's in immaculate condition. Almost seems too early for a gray interior and silver wheels, but it's "original and unrestored", so probably not.

On the page for the 5-speed is this quote:

Its 6 cylinder engine with 5-speed transmission provide power and maneuverability, particularly around corners.
"Particularly around corners"? I thought that was the suspension's job. :umm:

Rich
09-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Nice D's! VIN 3225 (Auto).....Almost seems too early for a gray interior and silver wheels, but it's "original and unrestored", so probably not.

The gray interiors kicked in around VIN 2970, a bit before VIN 3225 so a close thing there as you say. By then the gray wheels were long since used up in favor of the silver wheels. Agreeing that the color combo is normal for that VIN.

The photos show a near-original configuration inside and out, one exception being the rear bumper letters.

Not sure if there is slight eyebrow effect over the right headlight. And a door switch wire is dangling below the dash - no big deal. All in all a very solid-looking specimen in the pics.

Shep
09-20-2012, 07:24 PM
About damn time, they finally took time away from the auction to focus on the DeLorean! Those of you that missed it, DVR it for the encore showing at midnight (eastern time! Different time zones will air at different times obviously); it''ll show up about 15-20 minutes in (if you're in eastern, tune in at 12:10 PM and watch for ten minutes). I have it recorded in full HD, but unfortunately it's recording all five hours and I don't have an HDMI recording tool. However, I will try to source one if no one else posts the recording first. I'll also try to set it up so it records the midnight showing for just those ten minutes.

EDIT: It aired on the block! 7:45 PM to 7:50 PM Eastern. It's the one here (http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=71.1&aid=465) by the way. Sold for $17,500!

Michael
09-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Figures, some DeLoreans on BJ have brought 40-50k, but the one they actually air brings 17....just great.

Iznodmad
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Looked pretty good on camera. I am shocked they spent some time to talk about it and say positive things about its collectibility. Usually they shun DeLoreans, but perhaps things are starting to change. They also talked about the Buick Grand National as a car that is collectible for the 80s, another one of my favorites. I used to own one of those and will again one day.

Michael
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
What a cool surprise. I was getting ready to go to bed and I said I will watch one more auction and it was another D! Nice example looked like original NCT's with 3xxx miles sold for 22k. The hosts did talk about how they are going up but 22k for that seems a bit low.

pezzonovante88
09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
$22000 for lot 95. I still think that is a small amount of money for such a car. DeLoreans, in my opinion, should be valued in mid-$30k range. One like that should be $50k. Oh well, what do I know... I'm actually very surprised they didn't cut to commercial when the D came on the block like they usually do, though. Maybe my crude email I sent last time had something to do with it - I really gave them hell! :yesss:

Michael
09-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Well they actually interviewed the new owner and I gotta say I think BJ redeemed themselves with this auction. They can't control what they sell for of course but they devoted the screen time and then some. If there is a plus to the low sale prices, it will entice people to start looking even more...and the more people look the more they buy, and the more they buy the more the prices go up. That of course is of no matter to me as I will be keeping mine for a bit.

Shep
09-20-2012, 11:03 PM
The auto just aired too! $22,000 and aired from 10:40 PM to 10:43 PM! sweet! And they aired an interview with the owner not too long after! Some of us (including pezzonovante88 evidently) must've complained that we got zero coverage and now they're playing PR to make it up to us. They aired the cover of Car and Driver with the prototype D on it when the Mangaflow Exhaust Cam screwed up, plus some BTTF pictures during the interview. I have never seen them do that with any other car before, and I've been watching Barrett-Jackson for quite a while. Quite nice! I will forgive all the other times they have cut away to commercial just before the DeLorean aired, this was obviously their (very public) apology.

So to reiterate, anyone reading this that missed the DeLoreans the first time around: they will air again during the encore presentation Eastern time at the following times:
12:10 AM to 12:25 AM (staging lanes; VIN 1348 - Manual)
12:40 AM to 12:55 AM (on auction; VIN 1348 - Manual; $17,500)
3:35 AM to 3:50 AM (on auction; VIN 3225 - Auto; $22,000)
3:45 AM to 3:55 AM (interview with new owner of VIN 3225 - Auto)

NOTE: I missed the part shortly before VIN 3225 sold, so there *may* be some coverage in the staging lanes, but I do not know when.

Now to set my DVR to record all four times to save for later!

If anyone has a TiVo or something, and is willing to record and share the four encounters, please do so! While I will record the four times, it will be a pain in the ass to get it on a computer since I currently do not have the equipment necessary to do so, and it'll be a while since I'd have to actually buy something to do it in HD. U-Verse doesn't allow downloading from their DVR's; only streaming.

Chris Burns
09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
When the last car went across the block, they mentioned the stripes as being a dealer option. 22k is a lower amount, but not shabby! Both cars were really nice!!

Chris Burns
11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
VIN 3225 is on Ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-DeLorean-DMC-12-Gullwing-2-930-Original-Miles-Spiderman-3-Movie-Car-/300820114999?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460a46ae37

Michael
11-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Ohhhh I got a very rare auto trans option too!!!!

ps can someone upload those auctions and the interview on YouTube? I would love to watch them again.

Shep
11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
can someone upload those auctions and the interview on YouTube? I would love to watch them again.I still have them on my DVR, but I can't seem to find a reasonably priced HDMI capture device. I'll look some more though; I've got some other stuff I want to record anyways. I'm not sure if Speed TV would be too keen on uploading to YouTube, but I can still upload it to my website once I get it transferred. :thumbup:

Jimmyvonviggle
11-19-2012, 11:15 PM
When the last car went across the block, they mentioned the stripes as being a dealer option. 22k is a lower amount, but not shabby! Both cars were really nice!!

The only thing is that these stripes are reproductions.

sdg3205
11-20-2012, 12:23 AM
The only thing is that these stripes are reproductions.

I dont think so. Those look original.

the DMC is definitely NOT cut out.

Dangermouse
11-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Is the correct answer to the question "hey it's that car from that movie" now "yes it is the Spiderman car"??

What am I missing? I don't recall hearing about it being in any Spiderman movie.....

And when do you stop being a private seller and start becoming a dealer? Looks like the seller buys and sells collectibles (sold 9 cars this year with a further 3 on ebay).

Shep
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Is the correct answer to the question "hey it's that car from that movie" now "yes it is the Spiderman car"??

What am I missing? I don't recall hearing about it being in any Spiderman movie.....I never saw the movie, but I vividly remember this exact DeLorean being sold for at least three or four different Barrett-Jackson auctions, even before they put the reserve back on. The pictures were the exact same ones every time, and it's the only DeLorean I've ever heard of that has any association with Spiderman. It's a damn shame some guy decided to try and flip it for a profit, especially considering that same exact guy was the one they interviewed who stated he always wanted a DeLorean, this was a dream come true, and blah blah blah turned out to be a load of bullshit. I sincerely hope he fails to sell it for any more than he paid for it at Barrett-Jackson. There's a reason it was a perpetual non-charity seller. Obviously no one wants it. Let him learn his lesson the hard way.

I've got a feeling it'll wind up at Barrett-Jackson again sometime after much frustration wondering why his "get rich quick" scheme didn't work...

Michael
11-21-2012, 07:13 AM
It's a damn shame some guy decided to try and flip it for a profit, especially considering that same exact guy was the one they interviewed who stated he always wanted a DeLorean, this was a dream come true, and blah blah blah turned out to be a load of bullshit. I sincerely hope he fails to sell it for any more than he paid for it at Barrett-Jackson. There's a reason it was a perpetual non-charity seller. Obviously no one wants it. Let him learn his lesson the hard way.

I've got a feeling it'll wind up at Barrett-Jackson again sometime after much frustration wondering why his "get rich quick" scheme didn't work...

Yeah I hate it when people try to sell cars on the side for profit to support their families. Damn free market capitalists.

Shep
11-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah I hate it when people try to sell cars on the side for profit to support their families. Damn free market capitalists.It's one thing to buy a car, fix it up, and re-sell it. It's entirely different to fabricate some bullshit sob story about living the dream and wanting to since forever, then sell it a couple months later with zero work done to it. The former is perfectly fine since in that case they actually worked for it. Not only did this guy do zero work, he also blatantly lied on national TV for it.

Have you seen the pictures of that guy's shop? He's got some high rollers in there. His family is financially very well off for him to be able to afford those kinds of toys. He can easily afford to do some work on this one, but chose not to. This isn't a case of some broke guy struggling to get by and barely being able to afford his meal for the week, much less support his family. This is a guy with at least six figures in yearly income (possibly even seven figures) who saw an easy way to make a quick buck and is trying to capitalize on it. That isn't an honest living, that is greed, plain and simple.

Did he fix it up? No. Did he restore it in any way? No. Did he do anything other than load it on and unload it from a car carrier? No. All he did was buy it, transport it, photograph it, and list it on eBay for 50% higher than he bought it for (yes that percentage is accurate -- bought for 22K, trying to sell for 33K). This is a guy who is looking for maximum profit in minimum time with minimum (basically zero) effort, the very definition of greed. Guys who are "supporting their families" actually work hard for their fair share, they don't get it handed to them on a golden platter like this guy.

I get the fact that he's a dealership, and it's his job to sell cars, but not like this. If someone had their heart set on this particular DeLorean, and lost out by only one bid due to budget, how do you think they'd be feeling about this right about now? Not only is the DeLorean they wanted now at some dealership being sold for more than 50% higher than they can afford, but the only thing that changed is its location and a couple more miles on the odometer. That's a huge slap in the face. If that dealership hadn't been so greedy, it would be in his garage now -- a good, loving, deserving home. Instead, lord only knows where it'll end up from here, and how long it'll be on the market. I don't know about you, but that certainly doesn't sound "right" to me.

Jimmyvonviggle
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
It's one thing to buy a car, fix it up, and re-sell it. It's entirely different to fabricate some bullshit sob story about living the dream and wanting to since forever, then sell it a couple months later with zero work done to it. The former is perfectly fine since in that case they actually worked for it. Not only did this guy do zero work, he also blatantly lied on national TV for it.

Have you seen the pictures of that guy's shop? He's got some high rollers in there. His family is financially very well off for him to be able to afford those kinds of toys. He can easily afford to do some work on this one, but chose not to. This isn't a case of some broke guy struggling to get by and barely being able to afford his meal for the week, much less support his family. This is a guy with at least six figures in yearly income (possibly even seven figures) who saw an easy way to make a quick buck and is trying to capitalize on it. That isn't an honest living, that is greed, plain and simple.

Did he fix it up? No. Did he restore it in any way? No. Did he do anything other than load it on and unload it from a car carrier? No. All he did was buy it, transport it, photograph it, and list it on eBay for 50% higher than he bought it for (yes that percentage is accurate -- bought for 22K, trying to sell for 33K). This is a guy who is looking for maximum profit in minimum time with minimum (basically zero) effort, the very definition of greed. Guys who are "supporting their families" actually work hard for their fair share, they don't get it handed to them on a golden platter like this guy.

I get the fact that he's a dealership, and it's his job to sell cars, but not like this. If someone had their heart set on this particular DeLorean, and lost out by only one bid due to budget, how do you think they'd be feeling about this right about now? Not only is the DeLorean they wanted now at some dealership being sold for more than 50% higher than they can afford, but the only thing that changed is its location and a couple more miles on the odometer. That's a huge slap in the face. If that dealership hadn't been so greedy, it would be in his garage now -- a good, loving, deserving home. Instead, lord only knows where it'll end up from here, and how long it'll be on the market. I don't know about you, but that certainly doesn't sound "right" to me.

Well said.