PDA

View Full Version : Engine Racing Oil

Rhsxo
09-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I went to my local Auto Zone yesterday and noticed that they had Racing Oil. Apparently it is suppose to reduce the wear on the engine, has a higher Zinc mixture and isn't safe for vehicles equipped with Catalytic Convertors if ran for an extended period of time. Since the DeLorean is equipped with a Cat, this probably wouldn't be the best thing to run but I did have a question.

Does anyone know how it actually destroys the Cat? I have never heard of Racing Oil let alone oil that could destroy cat's.

Chris4099
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
One thing about racing oil is it typically lacks a bunch of detergents because it's meant for short term use (changed out every race). It's designed for race cars, not normal cars. I would never let a drop of it into my D or any other daily driver when regular oil works just fine and will allow the engine to run a very long period of time.

Rhsxo
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
One thing about racing oil is it typically lacks a bunch of detergents because it's meant for short term use (changed out every race). It's designed for race cars, not normal cars. I would never let a drop of it into my D or any other daily driver when regular oil works just fine and will allow the engine to run a very long period of time.

So besides damaing the Cat's, what other effects would it have on a regular car?

Chris4099
09-14-2012, 12:40 PM
As mentioned, much shorter change interval. Why do you think you need racing oil? Are you planning on taking your D to the track and making it a full time racer? Want to spend way more money on an oil change then necessary? If not, "street oil" will work just fine. If you want the zinc levels, get diesel oil (perform a search for more details).

Jeffu
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I am just completing the re-assembly on a tear down of my engine and I will be using Joe Gibbs BR racing oil for the the initial start up and breaking in period. I believe it to be especially important for the new cams to have the highest levels of zinc & phosphorus that these types of oils offer. Other than that I would not consider using it on a regular basis. Just my 2 cents worth.

Rhsxo
09-14-2012, 07:54 PM
As mentioned, much shorter change interval. Why do you think you need racing oil? Are you planning on taking your D to the track and making it a full time racer? Want to spend way more money on an oil change then necessary? If not, "street oil" will work just fine. If you want the zinc levels, get diesel oil (perform a search for more details).

To answer your questions: I don't, I was simply wondering what the effects would be. No. No.

Jeffu, that makes sense. I'm not going to be using it but it seems like your application and actually racing a D would be the correct application (if that is possible).