PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Rain cap/boot

nkemp
09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I never liked the fuel pump rain boot/cap. They sorta work when new, get stiffer with age and seem to shrink. In other acronyms... they are a PITA to work with. The purpose of the boot is to keep water out of the fuel pump holder.

While out riding the bicycle I came across rain pants on the side of the road and an idea. :thinkin: I cut off about 12 inches from the leg, put the fuel lines through the top, zip tied the pant leg bottom around the pump opening and zip tied the top of the new rain boot around the fuel lines. Now I have an easy to service fuel pump rain boot/cap or should I call it a "rain leg" . Since it is higher than the original it works really well. If you don't want to disconnect the fuel lines, cut the leg up the side and tape it back together. Using this approach, you could make it a bit tighter around the fuel lines by wrapping the material. Haven't found any rain pants while biking? A variety of other materials would work including Tyvek envelopes.

One of the ways water (car wash or rain) gets into the fuel pump boot is via the front windshield drain. There is a hole in the "firewall" straight back & higher than the fuel pump. Water drains from the windshield, into the well and out this hole. Depending on the situation, it can fill the fuel pump boot. One early fix was to build a shield that attached to the firewall over the hole to direct the water down. Another approach is to use a piece of simirigid plastic tucked up into the firewall area to force the water down and shield the pump area.

Some time when I remove the access covers I'll photograph the new boot ... leg. With the covers on, nobody can see the fix or area.

Nick