PDA

View Full Version : Engine Engine starts warm only if I press gas pedal....

rothsean
09-23-2012, 10:17 PM
So, I have recently replace the fuel accumulator, fuel filter, O-ring in the fuel distributor plunger and new injectors. My car runs fine and cold starts fine.

Once I shut down it will start right up too within 10 minutes, but after that I have to press the gas pedal basically to full in order for it to start right away. Any idea why?

Also, last week it would hot start fine, the outside air temps were about 10 degrees lower all week.

I thought maybe it was loosing fuel pressure, but even if I cycle the pump 5 times (to make sure the system has pressure) I still have to press the gas pedal....

Ideas??

Bitsyncmaster
09-24-2012, 04:23 AM
How quickly does it start when you have to press the pedal? If it's quick, you may just have an idle system adjustment. A lot of cranking and taking a while to get good idle would point to rest pressure problems.

rothsean
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
How quickly does it start when you have to press the pedal? If it's quick, you may just have an idle system adjustment. A lot of cranking and taking a while to get good idle would point to rest pressure problems.

I will check today. Sometimes I would not press the pedal and just crank and crank, it would take about 10-15 seconds to start. Yesterday once I started cranking with the pedal floored it started in about 3 seconds.

Also, if I cycle the fuel pump a few times doesn't that pressure it enough and eliminate the rest pressure issue?

David T
09-24-2012, 10:02 AM
You have to check the systems that are active during the starting cycle to see if they are functioning properly. They include:
Control Pressure Regulator (aka warm-up regulator)
Mechanical and vacuum advance
Cold start valve
You could also have other "issues" such as worn spark plugs, vacuum leaks, dirty air cleaner, etc. How long has it been since the car was tuned up? You might also require a minor adjustment of your fuel mixture.
David Teitelbaum

rothsean
09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
You have to check the systems that are active during the starting cycle to see if they are functioning properly. They include:
Control Pressure Regulator (aka warm-up regulator)
Mechanical and vacuum advance
Cold start valve
You could also have other "issues" such as worn spark plugs, vacuum leaks, dirty air cleaner, etc. How long has it been since the car was tuned up? You might also require a minor adjustment of your fuel mixture.
David Teitelbaum

It was tuned up last week. New plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, new injectors, new air filter, new oil, etc...

It runs great, just has a random hot start issue (and not a big issue, I always get it started). I just want it to start like my other modern cars, when I turn the key over. It is picky stuff, but makes for a good project.

The distributor was rebuilt last month, with a new impulse coil installed, so that should all be working fine.

How can I test the CPR & where is it?

Also, keep in mind that the car starts up fine when cold and also within 10 minutes of shutdown. I have a new all-in-one fuel pump, new accumulator, new filter.

deloumis
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
It was tuned up last week. New plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, new injectors, new air filter, new oil, etc...

It runs great, just has a random hot start issue (and not a big issue, I always get it started). I just want it to start like my other modern cars, when I turn the key over. It is picky stuff, but makes for a good project.

The distributor was rebuilt last month, with a new impulse coil installed, so that should all be working fine.

How can I test the CPR & where is it?

Also, keep in mind that the car starts up fine when cold and also within 10 minutes of shutdown. I have a new all-in-one fuel pump, new accumulator, new filter.

The pump itself could be failing at holding rest pressure. I believe there have been a few issues with that.

David T
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
You have to put a pressure gauge on to see the control pressure and how it is changing as the motor warms up. While you have the gauge on you can also check Rest Pressure. Once you can rule out the CPR and rest pressure you should move on and check the cold start valve. The Thermo Time switch may not be working right and possibly running the Cold Start valve flooding the motor.
David Teitelbaum

Bitsyncmaster
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Since it's a warm start issue, your CSV should not be pumping (only when coolant temp is below 95 deg F). You can just unplug the CSV to test if that is the problem.