PDA

View Full Version : Brake Broke one brake caliper, what do you recommend?

Stainless
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
As some of you have read, due to an unforeseen event, the driver side rear brake caliper broke, meaning it snapped where it mounts to the hub assembly. All four calipers were replaced with Special T Auto replacements prior to this, so I figured that I would get a replacement rear caliper from them to keep things consistent.

Since the caliper is unrepairable, I cannot return it to avoid the $350 core charge. So this $109 caliper will end up costing $459. I have the option to buy an original, non-rebuilt pair of rear calipers, for much less, but since they are 30 years old, they could probably use a rebuild. What would you do if you were in my shoes, knowing that the insurance will pay the full $459 cost for a new caliper?

The same goes for the parking brake assembly. It needs to be replaced. New price is $99.95, but the core charge is $150, but they are included in the old calipers that I can snag.

Bitsyncmaster
06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Buy the used ones and use one as a core return.

Stainless
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
That's a great suggestion. I would save some serious dough if I can get the used calipers for a decent price. Thanks!