PDA

View Full Version : General Routine PM service, what to check

DMC3165
09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
As a general rule of thumb my D gets PM'd 4 times a year. I usually drive it frequently enough that its between 2-3K miles at every service. This usually involves an oil change, greasing the ball joints and angle drive as well as a check of all the fluids and an overall inspection (tires, wires, whatever). But I'm wondering if I'm missing something. What do you guys do when servicing your car?

David T
09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Once a week:
Check all exterior lights
Check tire pressures (5)
Check fluid levels (motor, brakes, cooling system, washer fluid)

Every 5,000 miles or once a year:
Undercarriage inspection (C/V boots, seals, Tabs, brakes, leaks, etc)
Grease front end including the angle drive
Oil change, oil filter change, Check transmission fluid level Lubricate doors, hood, engine cover, latches, locks, seat tracks

Every other year:
Check anti-freeze and pressure test cooling system
Flush brakes and clutch

Every 5 years replace battery and door struts
Every 7 years replace tires
Every 30,000 miles tune-up, replace O2 sensor, adjust valves, reset Lambda counter

In between you can always check:
Wiper blades
Door seals
Cable for hood release
A/C for proper cycling
Belts and hoses
If you keep track of your gas mileage you will know if you have any problems before they get serious enough to stop you.

David Teitelbaum

cdrusn
09-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Very good info above.

I would i:thumbup:nclude changing the coolant every 2 years if green, every 5 years if orange and use distilled water with either.

jawn101
09-29-2012, 11:50 AM
This may be a noob question, but when it comes to lubing the ball joints... my upper boots are nice and tight and well-packed with grease that never comes out. How do you remove the old stuff?

My lower boots are brand new but pop off all the time anyway. I just put the grease gun on and pump until the old stuff bloops out the side, then wipe it away and call it good.

Better way to do both/either?

Nicholas R
09-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Very good info above.

I would i:thumbup:nclude changing the coolant every 2 years if green, every 5 years if orange and use distilled water with either.

How does the color of the coolant affect how long it lasts? I'm sure they are a little different formula, but a 3 year difference? I'm just curious how thats possible. I used to use green Prestone all makes all models, but have since switched to orange dexcool. I'm still planning on changing it with the same regularity though.

WelmoedJ
09-29-2012, 01:05 PM
How does the color of the coolant affect how long it lasts? I'm sure they are a little different formula, but a 3 year difference? I'm just curious how thats possible. I used to use green Prestone all makes all models, but have since switched to orange dexcool. I'm still planning on changing it with the same regularity though.

Manufacturers of coolant use different colours to be able to recognize the stuff in your car (one of the reasons).
I have also gone from the blueish/greenish stuff to the red stuff.

You mention Dexcool. Take a peek at the Pontiac pages at Automotive forum (automotiveforums.com) and you find out why we GM drivers moved away from Dexcool.
I use VAG G12+ which is designed for light metal engines as ours.
G12+ not only has better protection in freezing situations (lower temps than the other coolants), but also can stay longer in the system.
It only protects where protection is needed, unlike the other coolants that drop protection everywhere in the system.

David T
09-30-2012, 01:59 PM
It is not necessary to replace the coolant every other year. I do recommend you test it for strength and acidity every other year at least. I like the green Prestone stuff. It is supposed to be good for aluminum and compatible with all other kinds of anti-freeze. You can get it almost anywhere and it is not ridiculously expensive. If you go to Dexcool you must be careful never to mix the wrong types with it. Some types are incompatible with Dexcool and will congeal and rot the cooling system. The Delorean cooling system does not require anything exotic (read expensive). Protection down to -34 F at 50/50 concentration is adequate for just about anywhere in the civilized world.
David Teitelbaum

LEVY
09-30-2012, 03:21 PM
It is not necessary to replace the coolant every other year. I do recommend you test it for strength and acidity every other year at least. I like the green Prestone stuff. It is supposed to be good for aluminum and compatible with all other kinds of anti-freeze. You can get it almost anywhere and it is not ridiculously expensive. If you go to Dexcool you must be careful never to mix the wrong types with it. Some types are incompatible with Dexcool and will congeal and rot the cooling system. The Delorean cooling system does not require anything exotic (read expensive). Protection down to -34 F at 50/50 concentration is adequate for just about anywhere in the civilized world.
David Teitelbaum

Anti-freeze is cheap enough to replace at least every other year. In shop testing will only test for anty-freeze properties but not for anti-corrosion properties.

LEVY

stevedmc
09-30-2012, 07:16 PM
It is not necessary to replace the coolant every other year.

It is if you have lots of stray cats running around your neighborhood.