PDA

View Full Version : General How to remove the MOMO steering wheel adapter?

jackb
10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I picked up a new steering wheel on ebay and I'm getting ready to put it on.

First problem, the steering wheel puller I rented from the auto shop does not fit. Becuase the steering wheel is so deep, the two pulling bolts are just too short to reach when the bar is on top of the wheel to push down. So I'm going to go around town to try to find another one... Unless anyone has some tips? (I don't have an air compressor or air tools anymore, so the tip I read in another forum about pulling on the wheel while hitting the nut with an air hammer isn't doable, nevermind that I didn't understand it, duh)

Second isn't really a problem, yet, but I'm looking ahead to make sure of things. The Momo adaptor (bought from DMC) does not have holes for pulling bolts to remove the adapter. Certainly its not permanent, right? Because it sure seems that way to me. It appears that after the adapter is pressed on, there is no way to pull it off (I would think the holes used to secure the steering wheel to the adapter are too shallow/too small to use as pulling holes in the future).

Nicholas R
10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
You can use any 2 of the 12 around the rim. The steering wheel is not pressed onto the splines too hard, the force required to remove the steering wheel wont be enough to strip the holes (the nut is the main thing holding it in place). You just have to remove the steering wheel from the adapter first, then remove the adapter from the column.

If it makes you feel better, get a harmonic balancer puller like this and use 3 of the holes instead of 2:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/7055/puller.jpg

You'll need your own bolts and washers though.