PDA

View Full Version : Engine What do y'all think of the "pump" method of changing oil?

SamHill
06-24-2011, 01:52 PM
http://blog.bavauto.com/bmw-e46/changing-the-oil-in-a-bmw-or-mini-vacuum-method-diy-video

I've never seen the pump method done in person. A friend showed me the pump (which runs about $90 on Bavarian Otto) and asked me what I think. I said that I don't mind getting under the car and I wondered about this pump's effectiveness of getting out all the garbage at the very bottom with the regular way of doing it.

Rich
06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
I've done it on the D and other cars. Sometimes I go for the plug-drain method.

Positives: Less messy because the pump puts the used oil directly into a recycling jug, no need for a drain pan - Less risky because one never forgets to put the drain plug back on the oilpan - If the engine's hot then it's faster because one need not wait for the oil to cool down before removing the drain plug - You don't need to replace the drain plug crush washer because the plug stays in place - If you don't have a pan that fits beneath the car this takes care of you because no pan is needed -

Negatives: The pump is noisy - and you may want to pay attention the first few times to be sure the connections all are good and you don't pump oil anywhere it doesn't belong. At least with a drain session one can confidently walk away during the draining time - IF you worry about getting the last few cc's of oil out you will remain unsure about the pump.

I'm not worried about whether there is anything left behind in the oil "at the bottom" after a pump-out session. That's what oil filters are for.

As a backup I do use a magnet-tipped drain plug, one that grabs the few iron or steel particles that the engine generates and holds onto them. SpecialT Auto sells them.

The pump method is popular for motors that are poorly situated for a drain like those found in boats, power generators and such. It works.

stevedmc
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I believe Farrar pumps his oil out from the dipstick holder and he seems pretty happy with the results. I believe this is the cleanest and quickest way to do the work.

I come from the old school that believes in doing it the old fashioned way. I try to change my oil while it is still hot (or at least warm) and I do it by removing the drain plug. This allows any crud that might be in the oil to actually get out. If you use a pump it isn't going to catch the crud stuck at the bottom of the pan.

I also use Hervey's magnetic plug and I highly recommend it. It is a normal plug that fits a 3/4 inch wrench.

Morpheus
06-24-2011, 10:58 PM
I have always preferred the old-fashioned way of changing oil, personally. If you do it right, it doesn't leave a big mess.

Oil changes should always be performed when the car is still warm, at lest that's what my auto shop teacher used to say. I believe that doing it the old fashioned way does a better job of flushing out any random particles and sediment that ends up in the pan. Magnetic plugs help, but they can only grab so much.

Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to oil changes and the particulars surrounding them... and it's up to the individual to decide which way works for them.

SoCalDMC12
06-24-2011, 11:52 PM
I used one for a while. It's less messy, but in all honesty, the old fashion way isn't that much worse. Ya gotta get urn the car to get a t the filter anyway.

Note: my brother used one on one of his cars... The last time he did it, the engine must have been too hot because the end of the tube came off in the oil pan. I ink it's a bigger pain in the a$$ to deal with that.

dvonk
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
i bought a MityVac 7400 (http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp#07400) because i was intrigued by this "pump" method. it is a well-made product...
http://www.mityvac.com/hq_images/07400.jpg

i only used it twice, on a 2001 hyundai elantra & a 2001 subaru outback. i stopped using it because i had to creep under the vehicles to change the oil filter anyway. also, (maybe im just paranoid) i felt like i wasnt quite sucking all the oil out of the pan. plus, im kinda OCD and felt compelled to clean the whole thing inside and out each time i used it. it all just ended up taking me more time than it was worth. :dunno:

besides, i actually like getting under the car and getting my hands dirty. :wrenchin: :biggrin:

David T
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM
You are supposed to remove the oil when hot. That way all of the "junk" is mixed up and in suspension so when you drain it out you get most of it out instead of it sitting at the bottom of the motor. That is the purpose of modern high detergent oils, to hold the contaminants in suspension. The plastic oil extractors can't handle the hot oil, they melt. I use them to remove fuel and other fluids that can be handled cold. The extractor itself must be disassembled and cleaned once-in-a-while. I don't like them mainly because it is a good thing to get the car up off the ground and inspect everything. With the extractor you do not get under the car often enough. Changing the oil can be a bit messy but you can make up a funnel/chute to channel the oil away from the frame and you can wear rubber gloves. Removing the drain plug also allows you to inspect it if it is a magnetic type, for debris.
David Teitelbaum