PDA

View Full Version : General VIN: 2964 Restoration & Recommendation on Parts!!

1batt4u
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I have been starting work on my D for about 2 months!! I've had the car since beginning of August 2008. I haven't done anything to it ever since I bought it. I drove it around for a short time, locally!! I've just been looking over the car, get to know it, and looking for the correct parts based on what people have to say on the forums about them!!

I've started seperate threads based on different catagories of the car, so I won't build up just one huge thread!

I'm pretty much done with the Wings-A-Loft system!! Also checked all the wiring through out the car!!
Next step will be Fuel/Engine/Electrical, and after that undercarriagem suspension/brakes/bushings!!

I am looking to purchase parts!! Who do you guys recommend?? Just one certain place or different people to buy from?? I am putting in alot of work in the car, I just wanna find parts that will last, not fail, and be happy with them!!
Here is a list of parts I will defiitely need, if you guys can Please Please help me out by commenting, putting in who to buy from, any recommendations!! Or if there are certain parts I can buy from regular autopart stores!

Good Fuel Pump - John Hervey??
Fuel Accumulator - ??
SS all Fuel Lines & Brake lines - ??
Clutch Slave/Master Cylinder - John Hervey, SS Sleeved??
All seals/Rings/Gaskets and such - ???
Water Pump - ???
Good Alternator - ??
Starter - Eagle Premier gear-driven starter?? From what I've read from old forum!
A/C Compressor - is there any polished ones??
Ignition-Coil/SparkPlugs/Wires/Rotor/Cap - MSD???
Front Lowering Springs - Just front lowering springs, something thats low, except Eibach! I've seen other front lowering springs, but they do not seem low at all!!
Spax Shocks - For NY roads, which means, pot holes, bumps, hills!
Poly Bushings - I remember in the old forum someone posting Blue Poly Bushing which everyone recommended, forgot which compan had them, was it DMCMW??
Brakes-Rotors/Caliper/Pads - Upgraded ones but not to much money!
Exhaust System - John Hervey - I really LOVE the sound of jnettee's car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOBCZWM8Zc&NR=1

Anything I left out????

Tell me what you guys think!!!!!

Thank you all!!!

Billy :thumbup:

uhhair
06-24-2011, 02:21 PM
For the water pump, I got the Hervey pump with bolt-on pulley and have had no complaints. I also used his silicon vacuum lines with no problems. Dave T's smoke test showed we had no leaks from anywhere in the car so I can attest that all of his pipes, seals, and hoses have worked great for us. As for the starter, I definitely recommend the Eagle Premier starter. We replaced ours with it last year and it starts right up...plus it sounds way cooler than the normal starter. We used Hervey's tune-up kit with new plugs, cap & plug wires with no issues. For any of the seals and hoses that didn't come with the kits I used DMC Midwest. I also purchased my alternator through them. I will say that their customer service is excellent and got me my part in no time which I really appreciated as it was a rush-order.

1batt4u
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you so much for the info!!!

Which model/year Eagle Premier for the starter should I look up?? I think it was mentioned the bracket will have to be adjusted or something?

1batt4u
06-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Anyone else???? Parts!!!!!????????????

Chris4099
06-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Here's my feedback on some of your list:
Good Fuel Pump - John has both a decent stock replacement and a newer style that has had good feedback so far (I don't have personal experience with it though).
Fuel Accumulator - Get John's. Avoid NOS.
SS all Fuel Lines & Brake lines - I have John's as well. No issues and look great. Brake lines make the pedal a bit firmer now too!
Good Alternator - I have John's D110. First make sure you have good grounds and clean the major positive connections too! If you don't do that, no alternator will work well in the long run.
Starter - I have the Eagle Premier starter I got from Auto Zone. Just ask for the 1991 model. No bracket adjustment required for me. Just a minor wiring change (connect both the small wires together then to the solenoid).
A/C Compressor - Again, I have John's, but it's not polished. I did however get some new nuts/bolts at the local hardware store. So at least the new compressor isn't bolted in with old/corroded bolts. Most people when looking in my engine compartment comment on the new AC compressor, so it still looks good even not polished.
Ignition-Coil/SparkPlugs/Wires/Rotor/Cap - I have standard Bosch plugs from a local European parts store. My silicone wires are from DPNW, but the new DMCH wires look interesting with the improved boots.
Poly Bushings - At the very least get the sway bar bushings from DPNW. Greatly stabilizes the car under heavy braking.
Brakes-Rotors/Caliper/Pads - You're not going to be able to really upgrade beyond pads unless you spend big bucks! I have EBC Green Stuff pads in the back and they work pretty well. I also have John's rebuilt and painted calipers. No performance improvement from that, but at least I should be safe for the next few decades (assuming regular fluid flushes).
Exhaust System - The problem with John's is it's technically not street legal unless you retro-fit CATS. I have the DPI Spec 1 system. Louder then stock but not as loud as the other aftermarket ones which is nice since you don't get the droning sound while on the freeway (wind noise is louder). I also got a good performance bump too!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Deloreanindustries#p/a/u/2/tcGP_ohMIKU

TTait
06-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Good Fuel Pump - Herveys are fine
Fuel Accumulator - Hervey
SS all Fuel Lines & Brake lines - Most of your fuel lines are fine, just replace the one inside the tank and the two from the tank to the metal lines just above the pump.
Clutch Slave/Master Cylinder - John Hervey
All seals/Rings/Gaskets and such - Hervey
Water Pump - Hervey - you will have to re-use your back, and install the gasket and new bolts
Good Alternator - sigh - DMC
Starter - Eagle Premier - its the only 6 cyl with a 3.0 liter works great
A/C Compressor - is there any polished ones?? Hervey is cheapest but you will need to reuse or replace the back and install the gasket etc.
Ignition-Coil/SparkPlugs/Wires/Rotor/Cap - Hervey - probably stick to stock except maybe better plugs. I tried a large coil - no gain.
Front Lowering Springs - Delorean.eu I Love Eds springs and shocks
Spax Shocks - per above - Ed Uding Rocks
Poly Bushings - Tru DMCNW
Brakes-Rotors/Caliper/Pads - Hervey
Exhaust System - If you don't have to pass smog, get Ed Udings bypass pipe and get the best HP gain for your dollar there - if you NEED a new exhaust - lots of options.

Also have Hervey clean your injectors. Don't forget fuel and air filters. New relays, fuses and lamps. All cooling hoses. Thermostat and Radiator cap. Radiator cooling fans, radiator? AC blower motor. New coolant bottle. Otterstat switch and seal (use a cable tie to hold the otterstat in place!) All this from Hervey.

New gas struts (6) and steering rack from DMCH/MW/NW/FL/CA/

Door poppers (if desired), Radiator bleeder kit and thermostat bleeder kit, headlight saver, trailing arm bolts, thermostat bleeder , door lock actuators and if needed controller from DMCNW.

Window motors and eyebrow bars from Henniger.

Brake master and auto transmission cooler from PJ Grady

How much more you wanna spend - I could go on...

1batt4u
06-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Thank you guys for the information!! I really appreciate it!! :thumbup:

1batt4u
08-23-2011, 03:30 PM
So I bought a bunch of stuff from John Hervey, Ed(DeLorean Europe), DMCH, DMCHNW, and will buy from DMCMW. Getting the car together!! I also want to pass by PJ Grady, he is about 45min drive away.

I also bought the Eagle Premier Starter from rockauto. I have to send in the old one so they can refund me on a core charge. Now how does that work since the old starter is not a premier starter. Do I just sent it in anyway?

Thank you.

stevedmc
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
So I bought a bunch of stuff from John Hervey, Ed(DeLorean Europe), DMCH, DMCHNW, and will buy from DMCMW. Getting the car together!! I also want to pass by PJ Grady, he is about 45min drive away.

I also bought the Eagle Premier Starter from rockauto. I have to send in the old one so they can refund me on a core charge. Now how does that work since the old starter is not a premier starter. Do I just sent it in anyway?

Thank you.

Don't send your starter to RockAuto. Call up your vendor of choice and see if they are interested in buying it from you. I believe I sold my old starter to Hervey.