PDA

View Full Version : General Fan Fail Socket

DeLorean03
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,

For the longest time, I have had a 3 wire jumper in the fan fail socket. Reason being - my entire electrical system (area behind the passenger seat is emphasized there), my otterstat, my bleeder kit, and my fans have all been replaced (all Hervey parts including the fans). With that being said, the strain on the fan fail module - I would think - is very low, so I've honestly never taken the time to really upgrade it in 2 years. But I feel this is my "weak link" in my cooling system, so here I go:

What do I put in its place? Nothing against the FanFail 2x2 that John sells: I've just had not-so-good luck with those. I've had two of them start sticking on me, and I'd like to try something new. The thing is the Joe Cool module seems to have come and gone and Fanzilla was popular back with Clinton was still our President - so what exactly are the alternatives? With Houston having claimed everyone but Hervey and Grady, I can't help but wonder if there are any "free lance" alternatives out there anymore. Nothing against any business with my previous statement - just flat-out stating the facts.

So fire away, what do you use in your fan fail relay socket and why?

Bitsyncmaster
06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Look at my web site (my signature shows it). I have another alternative for the fan controllers of the past.

dhaney
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Look at my web site (my signature shows it). I have another alternative for the fan controllers of the past.

When I first saw this thread, I was going to mention your offerings and then decided to let the master... YOU, do it yourself.

fwiw - I run Bitsynchmaster's relays and love them.

Dan

DeLorean03
06-24-2011, 06:01 PM
BitSync, could you please PM me and quote me prices on the RPM relay, the fan relay and the fan fail module? I'm particularly interested in the fan fail module, as right now all I have is a 3 way jumper installed in there. What are the pros of your fan fail module and fan relay vs just a 3 way jumper and a regular relay? This is not an area of the car I want to "skimp" out on. It's kind of like buying a firearm - you don't "get cheap" in areas that matter.

Thank you, sir, for your referral. I've watched topics regarding your designs and definitely want to invest confidently in them.

Bitsyncmaster
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
The fan relay is solid state. It delays turning the fans on for one second so the engine RPM can recover from the compressor load if your at idle. It then runs the fans for 20 seconds after the AC or otterstat tell them to stop. So if your AC cycles at less then a 20 second cycle time your cooling fans will not shut off. I think keeping the fans running should help the AC provide a little more cooling. It also eliminates the electrical noise when the fans turn on or off.

The fan fail restores the indicator light to signal the driver when one or both fans have a problem. The fan fail unit has a micro processor monitoring each fan current. The other advantage over the jumpers is mine will not fall out accidently.

DeLorean03
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
The fan relay is solid state. It delays turning the fans on for one second so the engine RPM can recover from the compressor load if your at idle. It then runs the fans for 20 seconds after the AC or otterstat tell them to stop. So if your AC cycles at less then a 20 second cycle time your cooling fans will not shut off. I think keeping the fans running should help the AC provide a little more cooling. It also eliminates the electrical noise when the fans turn on or off.

The fan fail restores the indicator light to signal the driver when one or both fans have a problem. The fan fail unit has a micro processor monitoring each fan current. The other advantage over the jumpers is mine will not fall out accidently.

This all sounds great, Bitsync. What are the prices? I saw $75 at http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/05/rpm-relay-modern-update.html . I did not see prices for the Fan Fail Module or the Fan Relay at your website, sir.

Bitsyncmaster
06-24-2011, 08:01 PM
This all sounds great, Bitsync. What are the prices? I saw $75 at http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/05/rpm-relay-modern-update.html . I did not see prices for the Fan Fail Module or the Fan Relay at your website, sir.

Your to quick to reply. I was just sending you a PM.