PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean Rental Request - Tampa/Citrus Park area, November 1or 2, 2012

Morpheus
10-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I am interested in renting someone's delorean on November 1 or 2nd for the day or what is available for someone. I live in Tampa fl citrus park area. I would just like to surprise my wife and drive her around for her birthday.

Best Regards,
Adam Labadie

Since his intention is to drive the car, I informed him that his chances of someone accepting this type of rental were low. Regardless, he said:

I understand , my wife is a huge back to the future and it's one of her dreams just to drive around town, I would gladly work a deal to make them feel comfortable, I worked as a technician for Mercedes Benz for 6 years I have driven the most expensive cars on the road, I would be able to put up my Mercedes a collateral or we could work something out, just looking for one to go to dinner or whatever works

So, if you would like to rent your car out to Adam, please contact him at ajlabadie(at)me.com. Thanks!

Evildeli
10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I can safely say this event is too far out of the way for me. I was curious as to what others think for this situation though. For me, there's pretty much no way I would let someone drive my D, outside the Delorean community. I don't care if they have a Mercedes, it's not a D. There are just so many quirks and noises that I know of that would take too long to explain to a non-D driver. My best friend test drove my D for me before I bought it since he lived closer to the seller, and the seller told me my friend grinded in almost every gear, despite having a manual daily driver. Plus, what happens if the D breaks down while the renter is driving? That alone sounds like a nightmare in figuring out who's at fault and who's gonna pay even with a contract signed. Just too much stress. Has anyone else rented their D out to drive?

sdg3205
10-19-2012, 09:31 PM
I can safely say this event is too far out of the way for me. I was curious as to what others think for this situation though. For me, there's pretty much no way I would let someone drive my D, outside the Delorean community. I don't care if they have a Mercedes, it's not a D. There are just so many quirks and noises that I know of that would take too long to explain to a non-D driver. My best friend test drove my D for me before I bought it since he lived closer to the seller, and the seller told me my friend grinded in almost every gear, despite having a manual daily driver. Plus, what happens if the D breaks down while the renter is driving? That alone sounds like a nightmare in figuring out who's at fault and who's gonna pay even with a contract signed. Just too much stress. Has anyone else rented their D out to drive?

Excellent question.

I rent my car but stipulate in the ads that car - if driving is required - can ONLY be driven by me. We could go on forever about the risks. In the end, it's just not worth the risk.

I have a collectors policy, so when a rental comes up (movie, photoshoot, wedding etc) I put additional full coverage on the car for its working day(s). Usually works out to about $25/day but its peace of mind.

These days, the potential lawsuits and pitfalls associated with even just helping someone out is unbelievable. Imagine if a "client" locked his or herself in the car or a 30 year old fuel line caused a fire. It's just not worth the risk to not be with the car or in charge of the car at all times. The only time I left my car with a client was when it was on a TV show recently and it was assigned a "handler." After i spent a great deal of time explaining to the handler how to correctly operate the doors, lights, trunk etc I felt okay about walking away while it was on set for 3 days. It never started, but got rolled around on dollies and pushed with towels and gloves. There was also a pre & post visual inspection.

Hand the keys over to a stranger? Never.

Iznodmad
10-19-2012, 10:29 PM
I rented mine out to "drive" for a wedding. It was for a friend of another DeLorean owner on this board. The groom wanted an auto trans DeLorean, and the friends is a manual. It was driven an extremely short distance, maybe a quarter of a mile or so in a country club parking lot/driveway just around the corner and out off sight. After the whole ordeal with Shipping Wars, I'll let just about any damn thing happen to my DeLorean. Well, one of them anyway.......the other one I am extremely protective over. But with that said, I don't think I would let someone just drive it all over town for a night, that's just a little too much.