PDA

View Full Version : General Bleeding Nipple.

DMCVegas
10-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Watching Wheeler Dealers episode with the Renault Alpine A310. Ed China bled the cooling system on the front half of the car via a built-in bleeder nipple at the bottom of the windscreen.

Why in the world hasn't anyone designed a kit to install this feature on the DeLorean?!

dmc6960
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Like this....

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K1017DP&Category_Code=9475

?

DMCVegas
10-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Like this....

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K1017DP&Category_Code=9475

?

No, I have that kit installed. No, what I'm talking about was a bleeder nipple that sits right below the windscreen on the Alpine that connects to the front radiator that you can crack to get the air out of the front portion of your car.

Didn't expect to start this tread and see bleeding chests.

Thank god this isn't a plumbing forum where we started talking about ballcock valves...

stevedmc
10-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Bill Robertson took that concept one step further -- he rerouted his radiator bleed hose to the heater core return line (at the base of the windshield) so it automatically bleeds itself:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/394634_294253027286621_2063204332_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/390176_294252990619958_1166061653_n.jpg

DMCMW Dave
10-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Bill Robertson took that concept one step further -- he rerouted his radiator bleed hose to the heater core return line (at the base of the windshield) so it automatically bleeds itself:

[]

How? That line is no more or less uphill than the other one.

stevedmc
10-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Like everything else on Bill's car that pontificators and prevaricators claim won't work, it works just fine in real world use.

Steve Rice and Bill Robertson drive their DeLoreans a combined 20,000 miles each year. Modifications they have made to their cars work very well in real world use -- use that totally eclipses the 500-1,000 miles most DeLoreans travel.

DMCMW Dave
10-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Like everything else on Bill's car that pontificators and prevaricators claim won't work, it works just fine in real world use.

Like many Bill-style replies, you changed the question.

I did not say it would not work. I was just wondering how it worked anything different from the original since the same factors are in play, i.e. all the lines to the back of the car are much lower than the top of the radiator.

SS Spoiler
10-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Just wondering if a line could be run from the top part of the radiator to the inside of the trunk with a bleed valve on the end? I might give that a try.

stevedmc
10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
I did not say it would not work. I was just wondering how it worked anything different from the original since the same factors are in play, i.e. all the lines to the back of the car are much lower than the top of the radiator.

Did DMC ever issue a service bulletin advising owners to lay on the ground, pull the radiator bleed hose off (hopefully without snapping the nipple), then get a face full of antifreeze? Did Dunmurry have assembly line workers laying on the ground doing the same? If not, then Bill's setup probably does indeed work just as well as original.

One advantage of Bill's rerouted bleeder is the ability to jetison the original return pipe for a length of hose (much easier to install, and won't bang against the crumple extension).

Ron
10-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Shitty discussion can be continued here. (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5493-Bleeding-Nipples-and-other-NSFW-hit***Split***)

DMCMW Dave
10-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Did DMC ever issue a service bulletin advising owners to lay on the ground, pull the radiator bleed hose off (hopefully without snapping the nipple), then get a face full of antifreeze? Did Dunmurry have assembly line workers laying on the ground doing the same? If not, then Bill's setup probably does indeed work just as well as original.

One advantage of Bill's rerouted bleeder is the ability to jetison the original return pipe for a length of hose (much easier to install, and won't bang against the crumple extension).

How does it work?

DMCVegas
10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
How does it work?

I can see the quick logic behind this, but I don't believe that this solution would work though.

Durring the initial fill up of a cooling system that has been drained, you need to crack open the front section of the system in order to allow ALL of the air inside to escape. The inbound coolant needs to displace the air inside so that it can fill up the radiator, heater core, and front pipes. By removing a hose we're cracking the system open and allowing the air to escape so that coolant can take it's place. This solution however keeps the entire system sealed, and doesn't allow the air a chance to escape. In order to fill the system, you've still got to disconnect the hose which defeats the entire purpose.

What I'm looking for is a hose to mount permanently that has a valve on the end, and connects up to the front radiator. That way while I'm filling the system I can fully open it to let the air out, and can then crack it slightly when I got to bleed the system just like the Renault A310 uses.

Big thanks though to Steve for some inspiration here. I think what I'm going to do is get a Bleeder Screw Assembly with a flush head, and using a lock washer, nut & barbed fitting, mount it near the gas cap. Then I'll just run a hose down to the bypass hose and splice into it with a T-fitting.

dmc6960
10-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Like this....

?

No, I have that kit installed.

What I'm looking for is a hose to mount permanently that has a valve on the end, and connects up to the front radiator. That way while I'm filling the system I can fully open it to let the air out, and can then crack it slightly when I got to bleed the system just like the Renault A310 uses.

Huh? You say you have it, but if you did, you would realize you already have the exact bleeder your looking for!

Do you realize this kit from DPNW is a quick valve that you tap into the radiator bleed line? Its EXACTLY what your describing!

DMCVegas
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Huh? You say you have it, but if you did, you would realize you already have the exact bleeder your looking for!

Do you realize this kit from DPNW is a quick valve that you tap into the radiator bleed line? Its EXACTLY what your describing!

http://www.smtexas.net/faculty/jackson/CAPPS61011/CAPPS6T2I/Reddy/Webpage/Images/homer-doh-squaregreen.jpg

Dammit! I didn't click the link. I just quickly looked at the pic and thought that was the auto bleeder kit that hooks up the thermostat housing to the Coolant Bottle.

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/air-bleeder.jpg

3.0L, but same installation.

http://zarihs.com/shirazcupala/delorean/images/CarPics/EngineRight.JPG

Thank you VERY much! Hopefully they get this kit back in stock.

DMC5180
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM
My Old Audi Coupe had a simple bleed screw/plug incorporated on the top of RH End tank. That car also used a pressurized (Plastic) header tank system. Now that the only radiators available are Custom Aftermarket, I'm surprised the vendors have not incorporated this simple little feature. It might add $1 to manufacturing cost.

OK. One vendor does incorporate this bleed screw in the radiator (J.Hervey) one of a couple things he's actually done right.

Frankly, adding a drain valve pointing up on the metal end tanks (if there is clearance) would be even better on new manufactured radiators (no tools required).

DMCMW Dave
10-28-2012, 01:35 PM
...only radiators available are Custom Aftermarket, I'm surprised the vendors have not incorporated this simple little feature. It might add $1 to manufacturing cost.

..Frankly, adding a drain valve pointing up on the metal end tanks (if there is clearance) would be even better on new manufactured radiators (no tools required).

I agree it would be a nice idea but I also understand manufacturing.

I'll bet it would cost more. On anyone's current aftermarket radiators, the end tanks are the same stamping part on both ends. The only manufacturing difference is to install a drain on the lower left end or a barb on the upper right end. Going to a custom tank with two fittings on one of one of the tanks would add cost and parts, and require two different tank stampings. Manufacturures hate that sort of thing. And it would add another failure point. The aftermarket bleeders add the same failure point but it's not the radiator guy's problem then.

To me Toby's design serves the function, but I really have no problem just bleeding it through a loosened hose clamp (as long as you are working on a metal radiator!). It's not a bit of maintenance that you do very often. If you are bleeding the system more than once every two years when you flush the coolant, you are masking a different problem with your system.

Ron
10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Hopefully they get this kit back in stock.

Meanwhile, a possible option:

Found in several coolant flush kits.

DMCVegas
10-28-2012, 06:28 PM
If you are bleeding the system more than once every two years when you flush the coolant, you are masking a different problem with your system.

Totally agreed. But the truth of the matter is that whenever I've placed my car into service, it's never been a weekend toy or a side project. I've needed my DeLorean to run the next day, or even just as soon as the work was complete because I needed to drive to work or run errands. When I'm wrapping up work, I just want it to go as simple as possible.

DMCMW Dave
10-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Totally agreed. But the truth of the matter is that whenever I've placed my car into service, it's never been a weekend toy or a side project. I've needed my DeLorean to run the next day, or even just as soon as the work was complete because I needed to drive to work or run errands. When I'm wrapping up work, I just want it to go as simple as possible.

How hard is sit really to loosen that hose clamp enough to let the air out? I understand what you are saying but we're not talking hours of time saving here. And it appears to me that any of the bleed valve setups will still spray you in the face or run coolant down your arm!

stevedmc
10-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Bill Robertson's radiator self bleeder doesn't spray him in the face or run down his arm.

DMCVegas
10-28-2012, 09:32 PM
How hard is sit really to loosen that hose clamp enough to let the air out? I understand what you are saying but we're not talking hours of time saving here. And it appears to me that any of the bleed valve setups will still spray you in the face or run coolant down your arm!

After I've been working on a car all day and just want to finish it up, I'm tired. Aside from that, if I'm not mistaken it appears as though there is a barbed fitting on the valve assembly that connects to the bleeder valve that DPNW sells. So it will keep coolant from spilling everywhere. Which aside from keeping everything tidy reduces the risk of any pets lapping up antifreeze and dying.

dmc6960
10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
After I've been working on a car all day and just want to finish it up, I'm tired. Aside from that, if I'm not mistaken it appears as though there is a barbed fitting on the valve assembly that connects to the bleeder valve that DPNW sells. So it will keep coolant from spilling everywhere. Which aside from keeping everything tidy reduces the risk of any pets lapping up antifreeze and dying.

Yes, that is what the hose that comes with the kit is for. You attach it to the output of the valve and use it to direct the coolant into your bucket.

It really is very simple and you could assemble one yourself with the right parts. 3 hose clamps, the release valve, and a little bit of hose. Thats all there is to it.

dmc6960
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Well, 2 hose clamps depending on the valve you use. This one appears to be a standalone valve attached to a junction T, with barbs installed on the other two ends. Picture fresh off my car...