PDA

View Full Version : General Considering converting to a heated narrow band O2 sensor

shortcircuit971
10-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know of a good heated narrowband O2 sensor that will fit in the Delorean stock O2 sensor port in the exhaust? Or just the thread size of the stock O2 sensor would be very helpful as well so I can look around for ones that'll fit.

I want to upgrade to an HO2S to help the car switch into closed loop a little quicker and help with emissions here in Colorado since my tag renewal falls in December which means I have to pass emissions around December :/. I already have a relay and accompanying circuit to have it on with ignition on, and then eventually it will have a trigger set from the RPM relay so the HO2S will only be active when the engine is running.

Once it's all set up and working I'll post all the pics and info about the upgrade.

Bitsyncmaster
10-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Most O2 sensors use the same thread. My wideband sensor just screwed into the original narrow band location.

The heated narrow band may give you a better idle but you should not see any difference in performance over the working narrow band.

shortcircuit971
10-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Most O2 sensors use the same thread. My wideband sensor just screwed into the original narrow band location.

The heated narrow band may give you a better idle but you should not see any difference in performance over the working narrow band.

Good to know, thank you. I'm just looking for it to heat up quicker and stay in closed loop longer while waiting in the emissions testing line in 30F weather. Other than that I'm not looking for a performance gain really.

Chris4099
10-23-2012, 07:09 PM
I think once you fully warm up, the outside temp won't matter much. You just need to make sure that the exhaust system is fully warmed up (in order for the CAT to be fully functional). Probably 10-20 minutes of additional driving AFTER the water temp is at its normal temp should do it.

For me, I'm running a wideband O2 sensor and the stock narrow band sensor (I have two sensor ports with my DPI Spec 1 exhaust). I've had the wideband installed for over a year now and never really got around to doing anything with it. Then after failing emissions a few weeks ago, I decided to take another look. Turns out I was running way to rich, so I connected the narrow band output directly to the Lambda computer and left the stock narrow band sensor unplugged. My mixture leaned out and I flew threw emissions testing with flying colors. I could have fixed this by troubleshooting the stock sensor (may have had a bad connection to the Lambda system), but hooking it up to the wideband was a quick fix.

For a wideband system, I use the Innovate Motorsports LC-1. Dave had a great thread going on it in the old .COM site. It can have a few drawbacks though, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to watch it closely and just play around with it more then anything else. For you, I would just recommend having a good long warmup period before testing. When I first tested 8 years ago, I failed that time as well. I then drove an extra 10 miles before retesting and passed (didn't do any other changes). So a good warmup period is key!