PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Car Owners Code of Conduct

Jonathan
06-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought I'd share this with everyone on the new and improved DMCTalk site. I originally saw it through our ODOC webpage. It might be in direct contrast to dealing with the "Stupid DeLorean Comment of the Day" behavior... but anyway, there are good intentions behind it. Just reminding us that no matter how many of those one-off guys ruin it for everyone, all of us are very privileged to own one of these cars. Many people will never get the chance. Reminds me of someone we all live without now, but he would have likely lived by these words if he had been given the chance.

Anyway, here it is:

EXOTIC CAR OWNERS CODE OF CONDUCT

RULE 1.
My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

RULE 2.
I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.

RULE 3.
Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

RULE 4.
With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

RULE 5.
Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

RULE 6.
I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets .

(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz)

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I do not fully agree with all of it and some of it is BS in my opinion.. Keeping a smile on my face.. I seldom smile and if I do, it is generally very brief. Offering the car to others, charities and enthusiasts.. Last time I saw a D was in Accokeek, Maryland in 2000.. Been very unsuccessful in seeing one up close since then, but who knows what the near future holds (Not a BTTF joke/ reference!). I agree with proper care for and observation of safety of the car, yourself and the public, but the stuff that delves into being a smiling moron, is not for me and should not dictate over one's personality (Be yourself!).

SamHill
06-25-2011, 11:57 AM

RULE 1.
My cars will always be clean and well presentable. I will ensure that my cars are in the highest state of mechanical condition and maintenance. Exotics are indeed rare, and to see one is a special experience. I have an obligation to present these cars to others at a high standard.

Uh, no. It will be dirty and ratty. I've never even "shown" it. I drive it. Not everybody's standards of cleanliness are the same anyway. I'm a grower, not a shower.

RULE 2.
I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. ...

I am that way anyway. If you've managed to piss off the nicest guy in the world, it really is your fault.

RULE 3.
Where feasible, I will encourage inspection and observation of my cars. If someone is clean and courteous, I will encourage them to sit in my cars. I will actively encourage photographs. In particular, I will encourage this among younger children. On occasion, I will offer rides to admirers under the appropriate circumstances.

I hate to be the old man (Get off my damn lawn!!) but kids misbehave now more than ever.

RULE 4.
With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs.

99% of the time, anyway. Sometimes the California stop happens.

I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events.

Nice thought, but you should see the latest string of DMA emails over an on-again-off-again event. People over promise and under deliver.

Mike C.
06-25-2011, 12:53 PM
An interesting concept, but I bought my car to take to shows to RELAX, and don't really feel like I want to have guidelines... but, here's my take on it:

Anyway, here it is:

RULE 1.

I just got off work, and my wife/gf/sig other is annoying the hell outa me by their constant bitching/nagging. I haven't washed my car, nor is it 100% detailed. It needs an oil change and I just broke a muffler bracket, so one side of my exhaust is hanging a little low. If I stay here, my wife/gf/sig other will cause me to go postal, and I may take it out on the dog. Screw it, im going to the car show.

RULE 2.
I will always be polite, courteous, and friendly. I will not talk down to or ignore anyone, and I will cheerfully answer all questions. Exotic owners wrongly suffer from a "snob" label. By actively and always countering this, I will strive to change this perception among all whom I meet.
"if your f*cking kid doesn't get their ass out of my car, im going to shove your head under my tire and let my emergency brake accidentally go..."
"no, you didn't have the 87 model...."
"I don't give two shits if your Civic is faster..."
= me not being polite.

RULE 3.
I just spent 600 bucks on my seat covers. I know I dont have keys, wallet chain, or a small screwdriver I forgot to take out of my pocket after work near my ass when I sit down, so pardon me if I tell you to just lean in and take a picture. As far as your kids, see #2.
If you're cool, and I deem you worthy, then I will allow you to sit in the car.

RULE 4.
With one exception (see 5, below), I will obey all traffic laws or local traffic customs. Especially, I will pass other cars only in marked, safe passing zones, and I will always respect traffic speeds and noise ordinances within city limits. I will always drive in a defensive manner to protect myself and my vehicle. I will not initiate nor will I respond to challenges to race my cars on open public roads.

Mmmmm... no, no, and no. I didn't buy a fast car to keep my turn signal on for miles and miles, or to let people pass by me just so i can be polite. You rev at me, I rev back, it's on. I will drive in defense of my unbeaten drag racing record, when I feel it is safe.

RULE 5.
Operating my cars as God, Enzo, and Ferruccio (or Colin) intended will occur only on open, rural routes free of heavy traffic or on appropriately designated race courses. On public highways, I will use my highest powers of observation and diligence to ensure that I place myself, my vehicles, and the public in no additional danger. I will be aware of the environment and road conditions, and I will not drive at excessive speeds on unknown or suspect roads. When approaching blind corners or hills, I will assume that an obstacle exists and will take appropriate defensive measures.

I agree with this one.

RULE 6.
I will share my passion and excitement for exotic cars with others through community service and charitable events. I will actively seek out community organizations such as local police departments and schools and offer my cars for use in events such as DARE programs, homecoming parades, pep rallies, etc. Many communities have "Make a Wish" foundations for sick children. If given the opportunity, I will offer a day with myself and my cars to such organizations in an effort to brighten an otherwise trying life for someone less fortunate than I. I will be honest and open with other enthusiasts, and I will accurately represent my cars to prospective owners and buyers. I will keep complete records, and I will always follow up with purchasers of my cars to ensure that they continue to gain maximum satisfaction and appreciation for cars that I have owned and serviced. I will always have a smile on my face when inspecting, driving, or showing my cars to others. I will never forget how fortunate I've been to own such automobiles and I will constantly remind myself that the future is uncertain, and that today may be as good as it gets .

As much as i enjoy charity events, I don't attend EVERY single one. At times, I don't have a smile on my face. If I have a sandwich in my hand and I'm slurping on a milkshake, chances are I don't want to answer your questions at that time.
If im in a conversation with someone, I don't want you standing there for 10 minutes interjecting your comments into my conversation, as if you are a part of it, just so you can ask me a question. I have no problem being friendly to friendly people.
You come off as an asshole to me, im going to be a bigger one...and probably kick you in the nuts. :thumbup2:

(© Copyright 1998, Joe Martz)

No offense to Joe Martz, but this is too happy-feely for me.

I go to shows to have a good time. If it's a local show that happens all the time, im not going to detail the car to the 10's all the time. It's a way to just let off steam.

stevedmc
06-25-2011, 01:03 PM
I tend to give less time to the people who make jokes about my car and talk about nothing but BTTF. It is the ones who show a genuine interest in the car that I go out of my way to talk with and show the car to.

When they are really nice to me I show them the engine compartment, show them my carburetor, I tell them that K Jet sucks and is the reason that many of these cars are left to rot away instead of being driven.

louielouie2000
06-25-2011, 01:26 PM
When they are really nice to me I show them the engine compartment, show them my carburetor, I tell them that K Jet sucks and is the reason that many of these cars are left to rot away instead of being driven.

Oooo!! Them's fightin' words! :giddy:

I was always very self-depreciating with my DeLoreans too, though. There is definitely a reality behind the stereotype that DeLoreans are unreliable. I never sugar coated that with people who spoke to me about the cars (while at the same time driving home that with some relatively straight forward fixes, the cars could be set up for daily use).

I was always pretty honest with people about JZD too. He had some amazing accomplishments during his career, but his ego ended up doing him in. Owning a DeLorean is all about moderation. Remembering the car & it's creator are fascinating, but not divine. Taking the time to enjoy your car, but not letting it run your life. Letting strangers paw over your car, but know when to stop when folks are being thoughtless. That's all the Exotic Car Owners Code Of Conduct itself is about: moderation.

Farrar
06-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Having read the "code of conduct" I have the urge to place a permanent sign on the dashboard of my car which says "Work In Progress -- Do Not Judge."

Come to think of it, that would be an appropriate tattoo...

Farrar

Jacko
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
:nana2::fu::bigclap:This whole thread needs an assortment of smilies ...:fu::bigclap::nana2:

DMC3165
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
A couple of things. I like the code of conduct. I just question if the DeLorean is considered an exotic car? I like the tag exotic attached to it but exotic makes me think of a Spyker, Vector, Morgan that sort of thing.

Also, do people really have that much trouble with k-jets? Maybe i'm a little nieve but I have put about 50,000 miles on my current D throughout its life with no fuel injection issues at all. I did put 10,000 on a previous one wich did suffer from some k-jet issues but nothing that a quick trip to Grady's didn't cure. I have to be honest that whole carburetor thing......I just don't get it.

Mike C.
06-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I dont consider it an exotic. :dunno: unique, yes. Exotic, no.

SoCalDMC12
06-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Looks like that "code of conduct" was written over 10 years ago. Perhaps an update is in order:

1) Drive it.
Seems like a shame not to drive it. Kinda like ordering a pizza and letting it go bad because you didn't eat it.

2) Try to keep it clean.
Most people probably do this anyway –*shows respect for yourself and your car. But I wouldn't let some dirt prevent me from driving it... otherwise I'd be violating rule #1.

3) Try not to be a di¢k.
This covers a bunch of stuff, like being a car snob (lame), and speeding in a school zone (lamer, and could cost you your license... preventing you from following rule #1).

DeLorean03
06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
I did put 10,000 on a previous one wich did suffer from some k-jet issues but nothing that a quick trip to Grady's didn't cure.

Without being a douche, all I'm saying: Some don't have that luxury. Working on it and trouble-shooting yourself may provide a different perspective if you're "learning as you go". I've been very fortunate to have Casey here with me, so I'm in the same boat as you really. I'll admit, I'm considering going EFI once I leave Pensacola. I run my lambda system open, so I am just straight pumping fuel at a nearly constant rate, rather than dealing with the lambda system. That thing drives me insane.

I'm up in the air on this one. If all exotics have to have like 300HP at their wheels and have some Italian flag somewhere on them, then yeah the DeLorean is not exotic.

I think as few as were made and as way fewer are driveable (I'm starting to hear a number of 3000 DeLoreans that are driveable now?), I would say yes, the DeLorean is an exotic. You cant get body panels worked on at any shop in town, you have to disguise it as a Volvo 760 to get anything at Autozone, and exotics turn heads - something the DeLorean has NO problem doing.

Bottom line - I'd say it's a "borderline" exotic - just enough traits to loosely call it that. Doesn't have the speed and flash, but it sure has the crowd appeal and the mystique behind it.

jmrydholm
06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Rule 1? On my #10715? *insert George McFly laugh here* lol

http://youtu.be/e18eE33juE8

I'm trying, but I just had my fiancee's Toyota's rear tie-rod break on us today. Right now, car wash is on the back burner for the DeLorean. Thank goodness we weren't on the freeway in her car when it happened, scared us both half to death...

Soundkillr
06-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I tend to give less time to the people who make jokes about my car and talk about nothing but BTTF. It is the ones who show a genuine interest in the car that I go out of my way to talk with and show the car to.

At which I'm sure they walk away asking why you would go backwards with an even more outdated fuel delivery system... :)

SamHill
06-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Notice: I didn't carb tangent this thread.

If K-Jet hadn't tortured me over years, I wouldn't have sought to replace it. If it hasn't given you any problems, of course you don't get it. And I'm happy yours hasn't given you any problems.

Soundkillr
06-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I get it, and I'm walking a fine line here because I don't want to de rail either, I've had no fuel delivery problems. What I don't get though is how some owners insist on pushing the "fuel delevery" envelope. Some people go out of their way to do so. It's just getting old. That said, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you and makes you happy...

stevedmc
06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
I get it, and I'm walking a fine line here because I don't want to de rail either, I've had no fuel delivery problems. What I don't get though is how some owners insist on pushing the "fuel delevery" envelope. Some people go out of their way to do so. It's just getting old. That said, I'm glad you found a solution that works for you and makes you happy...

I have had at least 5 people tell me they know someone who has a Delorean that doesn't run. Most of them have commented on how sad it is to see such a nice car rotting away. When they tell me this I just smile and say, "It is probably sitting because they weren't able to fix whatever is wrong with the fuel system". It is at this point I show them my Motorcraft 2100 with a smile.

stevedmc
06-25-2011, 10:36 PM
At which I'm sure they walk away asking why you would go backwards with an even more outdated fuel delivery system... :)

They don't because I make sure to point out this was one of the first mass produced cars with fuel injection and that it was mechanical, not EFI.

SamHill
06-25-2011, 10:43 PM

Debates like these reinvigorate a stale discourse. It's nice to have a little controversy. I think the only offense taken is when people tell you that you've done something wrong or backwards or violated an unwritten... well, "Code of Conduct." The line is different for all of us. Today I barely turned the key and the car fired right up. Bang. Not hotter coil or anything. I turned to my Dad in the passenger seat and said, sarcastically, "Oh, what a terrible person I am for having done this."

Soundkillr
06-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I have little confidence in any owner who has any problem with a car and just gives up on it to rot, it leaves me to believe they could let it rot because the battery died and they can't find it. I have seen it happen with many cars, not just the Delorean, and nine times out of ten, the owner is very uninformed, has seriously abused the car or neglected it, and never cared for it to much to begin with. That being said it's a far cry to even assume it's a fuel issue...

Jonathan
06-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow, ok, so that was taken the wrong way. Sorry. It definitely wasn't meant to be taken literally like a rigid set of rules or anything. More as just someone said, "don't be a dick".

This thread is a good example of what can turn people off from the forum, or the DeLorean experience all together. Shoot, I had hoped this sort of thing had died with the old talk dot com site. Oh well, I guess things really haven't changed. Have a nice summer.

Dangermouse
06-27-2011, 07:52 AM

mmm, what does Merriam Webster have to say on the matter:

Definition of EXOTIC

1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found Check

2: archaic : foreign, alien Check

3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual Check

4: of or relating to striptease <exotic dancing> well perhaps not

anyway, 3 out of 4 ain't bad

DMC3165
06-27-2011, 08:37 AM
mmm, what does Merriam Webster have to say on the matter:

Definition of EXOTIC

1: introduced from another country : not native to the place where found Check

2: archaic : foreign, alien Check

3: strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual Check

4: of or relating to striptease <exotic dancing> well perhaps not

anyway, 3 out of 4 ain't bad

Not to go off on this topic again, but isn't the DeLorean an American car? I will say #3 defines it well and if it only needs to meet one of these to be considered "exotic" then I guess it qualifies. But when I hear exotic cars I think of something like this:

Dangermouse
06-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Not to go off on this topic again, but isn't the DeLorean an American car? :

I can't answer this as I think I might be biased :biggrin:

I think the D might be Automobilia exoticus popularis

while the Spyker would be Automobilia exoticus singularis

DeLorean03
06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Not to go off on this topic again, but isn't the DeLorean an American car? I will say #3 defines it well and if it only needs to meet one of these to be considered "exotic" then I guess it qualifies. But when I hear exotic cars I think of something like this:

The DeLorean IS an American car but it was built in Ireland - so technically - its origin resides in Ireland making it a "foreign" car.

And as your picture clearly backs up my original argument: "exotic" means it must have at least 450HP (updated from 300HP :P) and from another country =P.

DeLorean03
06-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow, ok, so that was taken the wrong way.....

This thread is a good example of what can turn people off from the forum, or the DeLorean experience all together. Shoot, I had hoped this sort of thing had died with the old talk dot com site. Oh well, I guess things really haven't changed. Have a nice summer.

Don't take it too personally duder. They weren't attacking you - just the rules. We all put up with ALOT of bad behavior at car shows - way more than ANY OTHER car owner in my opinion. You don't see anyone rubbing their hands on a 57 BelAir or a 67 Impala or a 53 Corvette, but everyone seems to take it upon themselves to put their greasy, oily hands on our stainless cars - so naturally - a good number of us feel the rules are a bit subjective.

Anyhoo, don't take it personally. FWIW, one or two of them made me smile and I thought "He's right."

louielouie2000
06-27-2011, 12:32 PM
"if your f*cking kid doesn't get their ass out of my car, im going to shove your head under my tire and let my emergency brake accidentally go..."

This reminds me of something that happened to me once. I went to the Auto Fair (one of the biggest classic car shows, auctions, and swap meets in the nation) at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte some years back in my DeLorean. Mind you, I just drove the DeLorean there, I wasn't showing the car. As I was getting out of the car in the parking lot and pushing my door down, I hear a booming voice behind me:

"HEY! Let my SON see your car!"

I turn around, and see a big fat redneck glaring at me. Before I could even say anything, his mirror image offspring darted into the driver's seat of my car and plopped his fat little butt down. Anyone here who's met me knows I'm one of the nicest guys you'll ever come across; I'm very patient, a people person, and I have a fantastic sense of humor. But I don't think I've ever been more mad as when this happened to me. I was too shocked to even speak. Luckily the kid was almost instantly bored with the car, and got out. I immediately shut the door, hit the 'arm' button on the alarm, and walked off. The thing is, I encouraged people to touch the stainless, to sit in the car and play with the doors. I'd take you for a ride in it. I didn't care. But if you take matters into your own hands or demand these things like it's your right, I'm probably going to be a dick right back to you.

I just spent 600 bucks on my seat covers. I know I dont have keys, wallet chain, or a small screwdriver I forgot to take out of my pocket after work near my ass when I sit down, so pardon me if I tell you to just lean in and take a picture. As far as your kids, see #2.
If you're cool, and I deem you worthy, then I will allow you to sit in the car.

You were converting your interior to black a while back, weren't you? I'd love to see the new seatcovers & how the car is progressing!

DMC3165
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
We all put up with ALOT of bad behavior at car shows - way more than ANY OTHER car owner in my opinion. You don't see anyone rubbing their hands on a 57 BelAir or a 67 Impala or a 53 Corvette, but everyone seems to take it upon themselves to put their greasy, oily hands on our stainless cars - so naturally - a good number of us feel the rules are a bit subjective.

+1*10000 on this!!!

Just yesterday at a show (was a very pleasant show for the most part) this 14 year old kid and his idiot father kept touching and stroking and touching and stroking my Damn hood like it was ......well you get the idea. Even after I grab my rag right in front if them and wipe off their finger prints they still continued to do it!!! Finally the father says in his best meathead voice "this car ain't worth nothing ...it's got an American motor" after I corrected him he looked even more shocked and confused then I'm sure he does naturally.
But the best comment I had yesterday was "hey where's the Transconductor" to which his buddy replied "dude don't you mean flux capacitor" to which he replied "oh yeah where's the flux capacitor" at which point I just busted out laughing.

Roman Legion
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
This reminds me of something that happened to me once. I went to the Auto Fair (one of the biggest classic car shows, auctions, and swap meets in the nation) at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte some years back in my DeLorean. Mind you, I just drove the DeLorean there, I wasn't showing the car. As I was getting out of the car in the parking lot and pushing my door down, I hear a booming voice behind me:

"HEY! Let my SON see your car!"

I turn around, and see a big fat redneck glaring at me. Before I could even say anything, his mirror image offspring darted into the driver's seat of my car and plopped his fat little butt down

My response ironicaly would have come from BTTF.. Substitute "old man" for "kid/ little brat/ et cetera.." Also, substitute "hell" for "F**k"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blox14VlRrg

uhhair
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM

DMC was an American company founded in Detroit Michigan in 1975, but every car was directly imported from Northern Ireland, and the British government was heavily involved with a lot of the financing aspects of the company, especially related to the building of the massive factory that DMC required to produce the car. I'd say for these reasons the car is more properly classified as an import. I know that when I go to car shows, if there is an import category the car typically competes there.

As far as exotic, I think the only thing that people are really hung up on with exotic is definitely the price of a used DMC-12 today. A car that can be purchased in reasonably good condition for $20k definitely doesn't strike anyone as "exotic," but to the average person who isn't aware of the price of the vehicle, they may feel differently.

I'd say the car itself is definitely exotic, but I don't know if I'd classify it as an "exotic car", since this term usually applies to rare vehicles with very large price tag that I don't think a DMC-12 is a part of quite yet.

DMC3165
06-27-2011, 04:42 PM
DMC was an American company founded in Detroit Michigan in 1975, but every car was directly imported from Northern Ireland, and the British government was heavily involved with a lot of the financing aspects of the company, especially related to the building of the massive factory that DMC required to produce the car. I'd say for these reasons the car is more properly classified as an import. I know that when I go to car shows, if there is an import category the car typically competes there.

As far as exotic, I think the only thing that people are really hung up on with exotic is definitely the price of a used DMC-12 today. A car that can be purchased in reasonably good condition for $20k definitely doesn't strike anyone as "exotic," but to the average person who isn't aware of the price of the vehicle, they may feel differently.

I'd say the car itself is definitely exotic, but I don't know if I'd classify it as an "exotic car", since this term usually applies to rare vehicles with very large price tag that I don't think a DMC-12 is a part of quite yet.

I understand all that, Truthfully when I compete at shows they classify me as an exotic (and i'm one of the ones here who feels the opposite way about the topic). But in a one word answer when people ask me about the car I say "yes it's an american car comapny", sometimes followed shortly thereafter with "financed by the british gov't and built in Ireland" and if i really get into it with people I tell them it was almost built in Puerto Rico and they think i'm messing with them.
But again I really didn't want to go down this road again or off topic

uhhair
06-27-2011, 04:53 PM
But again I really didn't want to go down this road again or off topic

I think the farther we get off this code of conduct topic the better off we all may be :) Seemed to really touch a nerve in a few people!

louielouie2000
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
I think the farther we get off this code of conduct topic the better off we all may be :) Seemed to really touch a nerve in a few people!

I've often found that when a particular subject matter touches nerves in people, then it's a subject they really DO need to discuss and work through. Tiptoeing around people's feelings and egos is handling them with kid gloves, and we're all adults here. We can discuss these things respectfully.

That being said, does a DeLorean classify as an exotic? I just don't know. I've always called the cars "mutts" as a term of endearment. The company is founded by an American, it utilized investors & professional talent from around the globe; the car was assembled in Northern Ireland, was developed by the English, utilized parts from English, American, German, French, and Swedish companies. All that being said, I absolutely believe the car itself to be thoroughly European, despite the fact the company was "American." But an exotic? I'm not sure.

Still, the 'rules' of exotic car stewardship absolutely apply to DeLorean owners. Like others have said, they can all be summed up in one simple rule: Don't Be A Dick. :thumbup2:

SamHill
06-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I feel the D can truthfully be called an exotic when the Esprit is, and for now, it's not.

mluder
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Car show or just a run to the grocery store... If someone is interrested in the car I go out of my way to oblige. Why? Because I used to be "that guy."

10 Years ago... Hell, 1 year ago, if I had seen a DeLorean in a parking lot at the mall and the owner was around, I would have stopped him/her to ask questions, ask to take a picture, etc.

I have no problem giving a little of my time if it makes some one else's day. Just last week I was at the mall and a couple guys come over and ask if they can take a picture. I said, "Sure... want me to open the doors?" They couldn't beleive I was actually willing to open the doors for them. That's excited.

I can certainly appreciate the negativite attitude towards people who just make assumptions and start touching and climbing into cars. I certainly wouldn't expect them to let me climb into their cars. Maybe it's something about the car show environment... people assume the cars are there for them to try out like a new car show or dealership.

If we are going to drive a car that gets attention, we have to be willing to put up with the attention. It's really no different that seeing a celebrity on the street. If you are rude to them and get in there face, expect them to not be kind in return. If you ask politely for a picture or autograph they will probably oblige. If you ask nice and they say no, you'd walk kaway thinking they were a jerk.

DeLorean03
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Car show or just a run to the grocery store... If someone is interrested in the car I go out of my way to oblige. Why? Because I used to be "that guy."

10 Years ago... Hell, 1 year ago, if I had seen a DeLorean in a parking lot at the mall and the owner was around, I would have stopped him/her to ask questions, ask to take a picture, etc.

I have no problem giving a little of my time if it makes some one else's day. Just last week I was at the mall and a couple guys come over and ask if they can take a picture. I said, "Sure... want me to open the doors?" They couldn't beleive I was actually willing to open the doors for them. That's excited.

I can certainly appreciate the negativite attitude towards people who just make assumptions and start touching and climbing into cars. I certainly wouldn't expect them to let me climb into their cars. Maybe it's something about the car show environment... people assume the cars are there for them to try out like a new car show or dealership.

If we are going to drive a car that gets attention, we have to be willing to put up with the attention. It's really no different that seeing a celebrity on the street. If you are rude to them and get in there face, expect them to not be kind in return. If you ask politely for a picture or autograph they will probably oblige. If you ask nice and they say no, you'd walk kaway thinking they were a jerk.

While this is well said and stated, some of us struggle with it. I'm not saying "if we can't handle it, sell it" - I'm saying that some days I'm in the mood and some days I'm not. If I'm not in the mood, I'll tell them to take all the pictures they want, but I really have somewhere to be. If I'm in the mood, I'll stick around. It all depends on the situation and how I feel.

I was "that guy" that stopped what I was doing for 20-40mins at a time, but honestly - we all got 24 hours in a day - and I'm over that part of ownership. Unless I sense true genuine excitement/desire to learn/or they are a real and true fan of the car (read: NOT a "Backie" or BTTF fanboy), sometimes it'll just have to wait another day or another time.

Since it helps to "talk it out..." I'll start =D:

I have noticed I tend to do really well if I'm at a restaurant, on the patio eating my din-din and am "relaxed". I've told whole families to go ahead and open the doors and let their kids sit in it while I'm away from the car but close enough to be comfy letting them have a field day. Car cruise-ins and shows - I dunno - I just am not comfy at those anymore. Maybe I go expecting more from people cause "hey, we're at a cruise -in/show - I'm sure people will at least know something about the car's history/past/maker/story". I think that, and then the "Backies" show up and we got flux capacitor jokes and McFly jokes and hoverboard jokes, and future/past jokes all flying everywhere, and I guess - honestly - I just get disappointed. That disappoint translates all the "negative feedback" (that I'm making those comments out of mind you) into mockery or disrespect. Then I feel resentment and almost bitterness, and before I know it - I don't want to be there anymore. I have noticed that when there's more than 1 DeLorean, I handle things MUCH better. In the 8 years I've owned mine, I've gone to...I'd guess at most - 5 shows - with other owners so unfortunately it's a rare treat.... (that'll change when I come to Ohio =D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In the 4 years of counseling I've been in, this topic has been brought up a decent number of times. At this point, I'm starting to finally learn to just "let go" and not expect "too much". I'm getting there..one day at a time.

/explanation-slash-bitch mode off

DMC3165
06-28-2011, 08:40 AM

I have to admit I agree. I don't know if its just this forum or DMC owners in general (myself included at times) but some seem very sensitive about certain topics.

uhhair
06-28-2011, 08:58 AM
If we are going to drive a car that gets attention, we have to be willing to put up with the attention.

Agreed! 99% of everyone here who owns a Delorean has another car they drive as a DD that they can take places if they don't want the added attention. If you're truly in a rush and need to get something done, drive that car instead. I drive the Delorean when I know I'm not on a strict timeline because people are interested in it, and I'm more than happy to pose the car for occasional pictures or answer a few questions.

DeLorean03
06-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Agreed! 99% of everyone here who owns a Delorean has another car they drive as a DD that they can take places if they don't want the added attention.

I totally agree with this, as I take my car out now only at most - about 2 times a week. Sometimes still though, you remember "that one errand" here and "oh I forgot to do that there" chore, and sometimes - inadvertently - you get a busy day. Of course, like I said, - instead of being a jerk and being rude if I'm not in the mood - I just "say" I have somewhere to be. Rather just get away than be a jerk to people. One "Ed B." is enough in this world.....

Dracula
06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Agreed! 99% of everyone here who owns a Delorean has another car they drive as a DD that they can take places if they don't want the added attention. If you're truly in a rush and need to get something done, drive that car instead. I drive the Delorean when I know I'm not on a strict timeline because people are interested in it, and I'm more than happy to pose the car for occasional pictures or answer a few questions.

Proud to be in the 1%! I don't own an inconspicuous car!

stevedmc
06-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Proud to be in the 1%! I don't own an inconspicuous car!

Same here, sort of. My other car is a piece of junk Geo metro with multiple colors of spray paint and zip ties holding the bumper on. Even when I drive the Metro I still stand out.

Canon20DFan
06-29-2011, 10:40 AM
...when I drive my Delorean. I drive it everywhere, it's my DD when the weather permits and that's probably 90% of the year. If I'm busy I say "it'll be $1 to ask me a question".

Dangermouse
06-30-2011, 08:04 AM
...w If I'm busy I say "it'll be $1 to ask me a question".

and

$1 if you want an answer
$5 if your question contains any of the words "aluminum, cleveland, 351, Canada, 88mph"
$10 your question contains any of the words "coke, white lines, prison, father/uncle made/designed it"

Canon20DFan
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
That's a good one...

and

$1 if you want an answer
$5 if your question contains any of the words "aluminum, cleveland, 351, Canada, 88mph"
$10 your question contains any of the words "coke, white lines, prison, father/uncle made/designed it"

Roman Legion
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Aluminum.. Yesterday my brother asked me why I would want an Aluminum car.. I felt so ashamed..

jmrydholm
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
A cop once asked me if I was "smuggling Coke" in there. I said, "Respectfully officer, I prefer Pepsi." :cool: He laughed. I couldn't charge him five bucks though, or he'd probably have ticketed me.

dhaney
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
A cop once asked me if I was "smuggling Coke" in there. I said, "Respectfully officer, I prefer Pepsi." :cool: He laughed. I couldn't charge him five bucks though, or he'd probably have ticketed me.

During a parade I'm drving along on the left side of the road when someone in the crowd yells out "Do have any coke in there?" As luck would have it was the perfect set up line. I looked at him with my soda in hand and no I prefer Pepsi! The crowd around all laughed with approval.

Dan

Roman Legion
06-30-2011, 04:33 PM
During a parade I'm drving along on the left side of the road when someone in the crowd yells out "Do have any coke in there?" As luck would have it was the perfect set up line. I looked at him with my soda in hand and no I prefer Pepsi! The crowd around all laughed with approval.

Dan

*Note to self* Carry an unopened bottle of pepsi in the car at all times..

Dracula
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
*Note to self* Carry an unopened bottle of pepsi in the car at all times..

I do; a glass one, too.

Cory W
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Pepsi_Throwback_2010.png

DeLorean03
07-01-2011, 02:18 PM
:offtopic2:

Not that I'm perfect, but sometimes we gotta look at the thread title, look at the last page of posts, and ask ourselves "How'd we get here?"

Roman Legion
07-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Just to go off topic once more.. I would carry this, but I know more bad references would be had..

http://design.patricksarni.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/pepsi-bttf2.png

Now back on topic..